* Port 3306 blocked ?

Hi,

Can you run nc -vv host207.hostmonster.com 3306 to test if that port is open ? Please write your provider too.

I get weird results myself,
    from OVH port looks open, but from Leaseweb and server.lu it looks closed.
    Does someone have an explanation for these results ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by GASB; 04-03-2011 at 04:38 PM.

Many hosts don't allow remote MySQL connections (usually for security reasons). If you contact Host Monster support, I'm sure they will be glad to open it up that port for you (or at least give you an explanation of why they won't open it).
    AudioProbe.net - Playing the best music from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, and more...
    Commercial free, high quality 192kb/s, and firewall friendly port 80!
    Look for us in the iTunes Radio directory under Adult Contemporary

They say that port 3306 is open and I almost believe them. Its working when I call the db from OVH network, but from other networks it doesn't, example: Leaseweb, Server.lu, Lunarpages.

Doesn't appear to be open. It's probably only open for specific IPs or IP ranges. But just ask them to open it for the IP you need to connect from.
    www.idologic.com - Reseller, VPS and dedicated hosting - Friendly Customer Service - DirectAdmin - cPanel - InterWorx

I can't connect to 3306 at that host so I'd venture to agree with what was said above about it being opened for only certain ranges.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

An open to the public 3306 is a bad idea to begin with. Ask your hosting provider to add the IPs you are connecting from to the MySQL connection list. In case you do not have one you will need to make usernames and passwords for them.

After a few attempts (depending on their firewall) you might need to have your hosts remove the IPs from a deny/blacklist before you can do the above.

And for some even stranger reasons, check if the hostnames get blocked. Happened only once a while back after a person was trying to connect to a remote database that he did not have access to.

I'm quite certain nobody has ever tried to connect to MySQL on that particular server from the IP address I've had for 3+ years and I didn't even get the chance to authenticate (connection attempt simply failed) so it looks to be failing at the edge/firewall before MySQL even has a chance to reject the connection.

Just my two cents.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo | TMZhosting View Post
    An open to the public 3306 is a bad idea to begin with. Ask your hosting provider to add the IPs you are connecting from to the MySQL connection list. In case you do not have one you will need to make usernames and passwords for them.

After a few attempts (depending on their firewall) you might need to have your hosts remove the IPs from a deny/blacklist before you can do the above.

And for some even stranger reasons, check if the hostnames get blocked. Happened only once a while back after a person was trying to connect to a remote database that he did not have access to.
    I've added my ip to MySQL allowed IPs, in cPanel but it doesn't help.
    The hostname is not the problem, most of my tests were done using the ip, I've posted the hostname so people can avoid this company, to avoid the problems with them.

My problem was solved after some chat sessions.
    They say I needed to input Class C of my ip in MySQL allowed ips list.

How come that with the specific ip it doesn't work but with Class C it does ?

Quote Originally Posted by GASB View Post
    My problem was solved after some chat sessions.
    They say I needed to input Class C of my ip in MySQL allowed ips list.

How come that with the specific ip it doesn't work but with Class C it does ?
    Not sure, I've always allowed using a specific IP such as:
    GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'username'@'ip.add.re.ss' IDENTIFIED BY 'password';