VPS noob... IP question

I'm about to sign up for a new VPS and I was wondering how many IPs I need. The plan comes with 2. I have about a dozen websites, one of which uses SSL. So can I use one of the 2 for all my other sites and the 2nd one for the SSL site? Or do I need 2 for the nameservers and another for the SSL? Or 2 for the nameservers, 1 for the shared sites and a 4th for the SSL? Are nameservers even part of the equation?

Sorry for the dumb q's. Up until now I've hosted these sites ona "reseller" type account but I'm sick of all the problems I've been having so I'd like to manage it myself, which is why I'm going VPS but I just want to make sure I get off on the right foot. Thanks.

Most (if not all) VPS providers will allow you to add more IPs as you wish, so I would not worry about it too much

For the SSL site, you will need a unique IP (one that's not being used by any other site on the VPS)

You can have one IP shared between the rest of the sites.
    Last edited by SercoNetworks; 04-03-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Yeah, I knew that... thanks

I probably wasn't clear, but my question mostly regards nameservers. I'm unclear if I need 2 (ns1/shared sites + ns2/ssl site), 3 (ns1/shared sites + ns2 + ssl), or 4 (ns1 + ns2 + shared sites + ssl)

- Steven

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    Yeah, I knew that... thanks

I probably wasn't clear, but my question mostly regards nameservers. I'm unclear if I need 2 (ns1/shared sites + ns2/ssl site), 3 (ns1/shared sites + ns2 + ssl), or 4 (ns1 + ns2 + shared sites + ssl)

- Steven
    It really depends on how you want to have it setup.

You can have the nameservers on a single IP or on two IPs.

You could also use an external provider to handle the ns/dns - meaning you don't need to use your own IPs or run your own ns/dns.

Since your service coems with 2 IP's, as you stated, your sites will be fine with that, and the nameservers can be on one of each of those IP's as well.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Just a note: if you are pointing your nameservers to the same server, it makes no difference whether they're on the same IP or two different ones.

So, 2 is fine. 1 used for both nameservers and shared IP and 1 for your SSL site.

Thanks Orien. That clearly answered my question.

So I gather then that the "better" way to do it is to have one physical machine being ns1, another physical machine (geographically distinct) being ns2, and a third hosting the sites? But is that commonly done?

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    Thanks Orien. That clearly answered my question.

So I gather then that the "better" way to do it is to have one physical machine being ns1, another physical machine (geographically distinct) being ns2, and a third hosting the sites? But is that commonly done?
    This is the ideal setup, but it doesn't seem necessarily in your case because your websites are all being hosted on one server. Thus if your server went down, it doesn't matter if your DNS is hosted elsewhere* because your server with your websites (and emails, etc.) is still down.

* unless you have another server setup as failover

You can use your web server as one of your DNS servers. There's no down side to that that I can think of.

Ideally you'd have at least one other DNS server on a different machine, though.

If you're hosting your own mail server as well, an advantage of having at least a second DNS server on a different machine would be that other mail servers trying to send you mail would know to retry if your mail server is down, vs. failing and losing your email if your only DNS is hosted on the web/mail server.

Hmm 2 IPs? You can use the 1st IP for the SSL enabled site, as it definitely requires a dedicated IP and an SSL certificate and you can use the 2nd IP to have all your sites hosted. I do that, as I think that it will be much easier for me to manage things that way.

On the nameservers part, your VPS provider would give out the nameservers available so you can use it for your domain registrar so that you can point it to your VPS.