Angry Try sticking to your abuse policy vps.net

Just wanted to share my displeasure with vps.net today. I've been a long time customer of vps.net. I get an email today...roughly one hour ago...saying that there is some phishing site on my vps. They state I have 6 hours to reply before my vps is suspended. I just tried ssh'ing into my vps and it doesn't connect.

I then login to their control panel and it says my vps is suspended only one hour after they sent the email.

It's a Sunday here and I had to go get balloons for my sister's baby shower and shutting my vps off after only 1 hour is totally uncalled for and just irritates me. Now I'm still waiting for them to turn the vps back on so I can fix the problem. This is simply unnecessary downtime and now I have to deal with this cr*p on a Sunday when I have things to do.

Anyways, just my venting.
    BGP GRID
    UNetLab Network Simulator Hosting
    Prepare for your CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certifications today!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Salsero View Post
    Just wanted to share my displeasure with vps.net today. I've been a long time customer of vps.net. I get an email today...roughly one hour ago...saying that there is some phishing site on my vps. They state I have 6 hours to reply before my vps is suspended. I just tried ssh'ing into my vps and it doesn't connect.

I then login to their control panel and it says my vps is suspended only one hour after they sent the email.

It's a Sunday here and I had to go get balloons for my sister's baby shower and shutting my vps off after only 1 hour is totally uncalled for and just irritates me. Now I'm still waiting for them to turn the vps back on so I can fix the problem. This is simply unnecessary downtime and now I have to deal with this cr*p on a Sunday when I have things to do.

Anyways, just my venting.
    Do they have phone contact's? You might want to try calling to minimize downtime.
      0 Not allowed!

Arrow

That is not uncommon.

Many companies, VPS or otherwise, will give you an initial time window or warning depending on the severity. So if it is something more of an annoyance and not service impacting you may get a warning with 6/12/24 hours to resolve. However, when it is something like DDoS, phishing, bot nets, or alike you are lucky if you get an hour to resolve it. More often than not it gets terminated/suspended immediately.

There are plenty of threads around WHT where similar has happened, and while paraphrased, what I said above is typically the answer from the provider. Your time window will depend on the severity, and impact.

Good luck sire.
    BLAZINGSWITCH | sales /@/ blazingswitch.com
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
    HIGH SPEED WEB HOSTING SOLUTIONS | ENTERPRISE GRADE HARDWARE
      0 Not allowed!

If that was the case, then they shouldn't have said I have 6 hrs to reply. Plain and simple.
      0 Not allowed!

If that was the case, then they shouldn't have said I have 6 hrs to reply. Plain and simple.
    Incorrect fine sire.

It could be when it first popped up on their radar they gave you 6 hours. However, over the next hour, two whatever they could have been flooded with complaints. Which would then force them to change from 6 to 1 or whatever the story was.

If the severity increased, it is justifiable for them to collapse the time window accordingly to prevent mass abuse.
    SEO HOSTING | ARIN/RIPE/APNIC | 250+ CLASS-B | CLEAN IPv4 LEASING | 1G UNMETERED
      0 Not allowed!

What are you saying? I got one notification of a phishing site and that's all. You are making assumptions for some unknown reason and apparently think you know what happened.

If they got more notifications, they could have updated the ticket requesting an urgent takedown of the site and updated the time to suspension rather than simply do it immediately without notification.
    BGP GRID
      0 Not allowed!

You are making assumptions for some unknown reason and apparently think you know what happened.
    No. I am addressing the situation you described, and how many (not all) web hosting companies handle something major like phishing.

If they got more notifications, they could have updated the ticket requesting an urgent takedown of the site and updated the time to suspension rather than simply do it immediately without notification.
    That is their decision to make, as they have to protect their network.
      0 Not allowed!

Alright Mr. Omniscient.

It may be their decision to make but they could have at least notified me of their decision. Poor communication on their part.
    BGP GRID
      0 Not allowed!

Alright Mr. Omniscient.

It may be their decision to make but they could have at least notified me of their decision. Poor communication on their part.
    I was simply providing a web hosting company/ISP point of view in regards to the situation described.

No more. No less.
      0 Not allowed!

That's fine. I've run my own company in the past for 5 years and never once suspended a customer's server immediately.

In addition, all of the colo's and hosting companies I've worked with during my time in the industry never suspended a server immediately without warning so this is just annoying.
    BGP GRID
      0 Not allowed!

That's fine. I've run my own company in the past for 5 years and never once suspended a customer's server immediately.
    Interesting.

Good luck on your Sunday resolution. I am sure they will update you soon chief.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with Salsero, I understand they may need to up the resolution time if the situation becomes more of an exmergency issue, but the least they can do is to inform him. A simple explanation and updates go a long way and could have probably avoided the need for this thread entirely.
    Kevin Kopp - MonsterMegs Business Class Hosting Services
    Pure SSD Powered Shared, Reseller, and Enterprise Hosting Solutions
    US & NL Locations :: [US] PhoenixNAP | [NL] EvoSwitch Datacenters
      0 Not allowed!

What's the ticket number so I can investigate? Our abuse staff doesn't work weekends, so it would've had to be an EXTREMELY pressing issue, meaning a management member from UK2group needed to get involved in order to maintain the safety of other internet users.

I'll admit, our abuse policies strict, but as long as the customer communicates with us, we'll work with you and help you when and where we can.
    Last edited by IGobyTerry; 04-03-2011 at 05:04 PM.
      0 Not allowed!