cheap switch with front to back cooling

i'm trying to find a cheap switch that does front to back cooling. we have hot and cold aisles in our datacemter and are stuck using cisco 3560s which are really expensive for the basic function we will use these switches for. i know APC and some other companies make side air flow units but we dont want to waste U space. anyone have a suggestion? these will just be used for ilo/DRAC on servers so even gigabit isnt necessary

I was really worried about this issue as well, but found that the side to side airflow models work well enough surprisingly. Ideally you'd want front to back cooling so that you're not "cooling" the switches with the hot aisle air, but unless the air you're dragging in is well over 100 degrees, it should be fine anyway. Just make sure the fans have unobstructed airflow, and if you can, try not to put the switches in the hottest part of your rack (as applicable).

If it's just for ilo / DRAC, then you can get away with a cheap dell unmanaged / web managed 10/100 switch. I believe you can get a dell 10/100 48 port with 2x1gig ports, web managed switch on ebay for around $100. They also only use something like 10-20 watts, so they don't exactly need any kind of serious cooling anyway.
    Phoenix Dedicated Servers -- IOFLOOD.com
    Email: sales [at] ioflood.com
    Backup Storage VPS -- 1TBVPS.com

thanks for the reply, actually front to back air flow is a "requirement" for the colo we are in. My options are:

1. 3560 24 port switch with redundant power supply (4k+ dollars)

2. cheap switch with an APC SADU side air flow device (you give up 2U for the APC unit)

3. Holy grail of switches that is cheap with front to back airflow

Quote Originally Posted by Arjunt1 View Post
    thanks for the reply, actually front to back air flow is a "requirement" for the colo we are in. My options are:

1. 3560 24 port switch with redundant power supply (4k+ dollars)

2. cheap switch with an APC SADU side air flow device (you give up 2U for the APC unit)

3. Holy grail of switches that is cheap with front to back airflow
    Fun... so you can't just put the switch in the hot aisle and be done with it, because it's against the rules at the datacenter? I can understand they don't want cool air mixing with hot air, but it should be easy enough to set this up without causing air mixing, and using only 10-20 watts, they'd have to be running the hot aisle as a furnace before it would cause any issues for you

The SADU looks pretty cool ( http://www.apc.com/products/resource..._sku=ACF202BLK ), but mighty expensive for a glorified airflow guide.

Most switches have side airflow, so I am not sure how that DC can "require" that. The switches output isn't high enough to make a difference normally.
    Is it an enclosed cabinet? If it is, theres even less of a case for the DC to try and force you to buy an expensive front to back airflow switch.
    You can install some blanking panels in the front of your cabinet to block any hot air leaking into the cold aisle, which you can get done relatively cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    Most switches have side airflow, so I am not sure how that DC can "require" that. The switches output isn't high enough to make a difference normally.
    Is it an enclosed cabinet? If it is, theres even less of a case for the DC to try and force you to buy an expensive front to back airflow switch.
    You can install some blanking panels in the front of your cabinet to block any hot air leaking into the cold aisle, which you can get done relatively cheap.
    What about the health of the switch? I'm a bit concerned over time "breathing" the hot aisle air is going to cause a failure. I haven't taken an ambient temp in the hot aisle but we have nexus 7000's and will eventually have about 100 HP DL380's pumping hot air into that aisle.

i'm trying to find a cheap switch that does front to back cooling. we have hot and cold aisles in our datacemter and are stuck using cisco 3560s which are really expensive for the basic function we will use these switches for. i know APC and some other companies make side air flow units but we dont want to waste U space. anyone have a suggestion? these will just be used for ilo/DRAC on servers so even gigabit isnt necessary
    Did you consider
    - old 2924XL-EN? (given that you dont need gigabit, etc.)
    - HP 1810-24? (lowcost and should be fanless as far as I remember. They use like 30Watts at most, and still got some basic snmp-enabled management)
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

Quote Originally Posted by wartungsfenster View Post
    Did you consider
    - old 2924XL-EN? (given that you dont need gigabit, etc.)
    - HP 1810-24? (lowcost and should be fanless as far as I remember. They use like 30Watts at most, and still got some basic snmp-enabled management)
    Hmm so the old 2924s were front to back? That might work assuming i could buy like 50 of them...

I like the idea of a fanless switch, that might be the perfect solution

Hmm so the old 2924s were front to back? That might work assuming i could buy like 50 of them...

I like the idea of a fanless switch, that might be the perfect solution
    I'll go as far as saying they have their fans at the back and they're noisy because the grills were so badly designed.

But the HP switches would be a lot brighter a thing to do when I think about it again. The 2924 do have IOS, but just 12.2 and they need VMPS instead of GVRP, don't do real LACP and that might mean you'll spend a lot more time working around the issues of the dated IOS.

I tried to find manuals at HP to look up a little more but no luck.
    Have a look there if you wanna: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1516443

Seems it really has no fan, and seems it has SNMP monitoring, but not SNMP management. And maybe? not even telnet just Web.
    Check out my SSD guides for Samsung, HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) and Intel!

Dell 5224 are front to back cooling, they have vents on the top edge at the front and no side openings. They are also gigabit.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

What about the health of the switch? I'm a bit concerned over time "breathing" the hot aisle air is going to cause a failure. I haven't taken an ambient temp in the hot aisle but we have nexus 7000's and will eventually have about 100 HP DL380's pumping hot air into that aisle.
    Basic rule of thumb for that is: If you stand in the hot aisle, do you feel like you're going to die? If no, then a basic 10/100 switch will be fine as well. If it gets hot enough to kill one of those in the hot aisle, it's also hot enough to give you heat stroke and collapse from being in the hot aisle. I doubt any datacenter is going to let things get *that* hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Dell 5224 are front to back cooling, they have vents on the top edge at the front and no side openings. They are also gigabit.
    I dont see that model on the dell website?

It's end of life, got replaced. You would be able to get them via a reseller though.

It meets your requirements is all.

https://newsday.boocoo.com/auction/u...6470ab5224.jpg
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!