need suggestion for rack switch

I'm gonna build small data center with 10 racks and i want to put switch each rack, and i'm thinking to put 3560E or 3750X and all rack switch will connect to Access Switch 6509E. Any other advice ?
    Last edited by i2DOTNET; 04-03-2011 at 12:37 AM.

You could probably get away with cheaper switches than 3650Es at the cabinet level Anything full Layer-2 with Gigabit ports and redundant PS's (like Dell Power connect Switches would do the same job for a lot less $ are very nice). I would then put the saved money into a second 6509 and load balance your "core" instead. Connect each edge switch to both cores with bridged ports/STP for redundancy.

I would advise against building your own datacenter unless you really know what you are doing. You will be saving minimal money, if any, from colocating in a real datacenter.

That being said, I am a fan of Jupiter switches.
    SSDVirt - SSD VPS Hosting
    Dallas New Jersey RAID10 SSDs 1Gbps OpenVZ & KVM
    GarrisonHost - Premium High Performance Hosting
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting [soon] SSL Certificates Domains

Thanks, but my dc already build with eight 6509E for load balance, just want to find good swith for each rack and support for 10G. Some modules switch make me headache and i prefer with ready switch.

We used 3560G and we love em.

Nowdays many DC companies switch to Juniper network switches which give good performance and cheaper prices than cisco. Give a try...

Juniper EX4200 with 10G modules for sure.
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

Well thanks guys, but i'm really newbie with juniper. May be for expand phase i will take a look for juniper.

Go with juniper period, its an extremely easy to learn CLI and J-care is affordable and they will configure it for you if needed. It's easier to learn the new CLI than to buy equipment you will end up replacing.

Besides with juniper you can build a virtual switch network where you can manage all your devices from one switch.

Are you drunk?

IOS and JunOS CLI are ENTIRELY different!

Juniper uses a tree style structure where you twiddle down into the stack and is more policy oriented. Cisco uses a bunch of lines that somehow build the configuration at the end.

Have you ever configured a JunOS device.. honestly.

Juniper networks.

the EX4200 series switches are very good switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Go with juniper period, its an extremely easy to learn CLI and J-care is affordable and they will configure it for you if needed. It's easier to learn the new CLI than to buy equipment you will end up replacing.

Besides with juniper you can build a virtual switch network where you can manage all your devices from one switch.
    If you went with Cisco instead of Juniper why would you end up needing to replace the Ciscos? Cisco still makes high quality gear and the lifespan should be right in line with anything you get from Juniper. Cisco offers SmartNet, which is also affordable and offers top quality support.

I'm all for Juniper gear, our first core routers were Junipers, and for good reason, but to just blindly say Juniper is the best with no sound reasoning doesn't make sense either.

To note, is Juniper still putting IPv6 capabilities in their Advanced Feature License? That was why we didn't go with Juniper last time, the pricing for that put it higher than the Cisco for an equivalent product.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

IPv6 is handled in the base JunOS for 12.X and up now.

Juniper is better because you can restart individual services on the device instead of the entire thing needing rebooted if something goes south. Its built on BSD for a good reason.

Don't get me wrong, cisco is good for your basic switching but if its important you want carrier grade juniper equipment :-)

Not saying your wrong, but our company is built on Cisco. I've NEVER had to reboot a Cisco router. Cisco is simply built with longevity in mind. One of the same reasons one of the space shuttles are running on a 486. It was simple made to be bullet proof.

While I think Juniper is a great switch, and we own a few EX4200's. I don't think one is better than another.

Sorry man...

You obviously are not utilizing them to their fullest potential if that is the case is all.

Please continue to be a cisco nut, don't cry when your 7609 eats a backplane and sets off the sprinklers though

IPv6 is handled in the base JunOS for 12.X and up now.

Juniper is better because you can restart individual services on the device instead of the entire thing needing rebooted if something goes south. Its built on BSD for a good reason.

Don't get me wrong, cisco is good for your basic switching but if its important you want carrier grade juniper equipment :-)
    As a top of rack switch, as is being asked for here (from what I can tell), I've NEVER had to restart a Cisco switch and things just don't "go south." And I've been running dozens of Cisco switches for 6+ years. Now, sure, in a distribution or core position that might be helpful, but I don't really see the use in a top of rack switch.

Are you then saying Cisco isn't carrier grade, really?

I'd possibly pay attention to what you say, if you weren't just a Juniper zealot at this point, and that doesn't do anyone any good.

Now, Ciscos aren't perfect, we've run into various bugs over the years. Juniper isn't perfect either and we've run into various shortcomings and bugs with them also.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 04-04-2011 at 12:05 AM.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

+1 for Juniper - Cisco is too complicated I find
    █ Tech-Hosts
    https://www.tech-hosts.co.uk
    █ UK Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS & Dedicated Servers

You obviously are not utilizing them to their fullest potential if that is the case is all.

Please continue to be a cisco nut, don't cry when your 7609 eats a backplane and sets off the sprinklers though
    We like to keep our edge/core routers below 20% CPU load. we have 4 10GB connections coming in our Dallas facility. the max I've seen come through was about 5000mbit. CPU load was only 15%.

I'm not a Cisco nut, just stating that i've never had to reboot a Cisco. I've also haven't had to reboot a EX4200. Maybe i'm lucky. I dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    As a top of rack switch, as is being asked for here (from what I can tell), I've NEVER had to restart a Cisco switch and things just don't "go south." And I've been running dozens of Cisco switches for 6+ years. Now, sure, in a distribution or core position that might be helpful, but I don't really see the use in a top of rack switch.
    This is EXACTLY what I was saying. When I started Bird Hosting we were on a 2610, Then we upgraded to a 2821, Then we upgraded to a 3845, now we are running on dual 6509's with the Sup 720-3BXL's Never ONCE have I had to reboot any of them.

Are you then saying Cisco isn't carrier grade, really?

I'd possibly pay attention to what you say, if you weren't just a Juniper zealot at this point, and that doesn't do anyone any good.
    I was just thinking the same thing.

Now, Ciscos aren't perfect, we've run into various bugs over the years. Juniper isn't perfect either and we've run into various shortcomings and bugs with them also.

I think bugs are going to be in anything we deal with, We use both the 6509's now and the EX4200's I haven't been able to find anything that we have not been able to do yet. I am a very strong believer of keeping it simple. hehe :-)

3845 to dual 6509, thats a healthy jump

Give level3 a call and ask them what everything backbone is. Their ENTIRE Cincinnati facility is built on juniper, they specifically told us when we contracted multiple links with them that cisco was good for Enteprise but simply not carrier grade.

Not being able to restart individual services kills it for me, one process could take out an entire router.. and were still getting ios updates for 6500 series, and EOL line..
    Last edited by Visbits; 04-04-2011 at 11:47 AM.

3845 to dual 6509, thats a healthy jump

Give level3 a call and ask them what everything backbone is. Their ENTIRE Cincinnati facility is built on juniper, they specifically told us when we contracted multiple links with them that cisco was good for Enteprise but simply not carrier grade.

Not being able to restart individual services kills it for me, one process could take out an entire router.. and were still getting ios updates for 6500 series, and EOL line..
    If you're often dealing with one process taking out an entire router then you have bigger problems, imho. We've seen a BGP bug in the 6500's that will occasionally cause high CPU, but it abates and does not crash it. Even then, the 6500 is intended for enterprise and/or distribution use, not as a core router for a carrier. That sort of issue is about the only time we've ever come close to needing to reboot a 6500, other than IOS updates. Even then, some Cisco routers do have the capability you describe. I believe they made an IOS line to do that on the 6500, was too experimental for our taste, but that is certainly a feature of the IOS XR for the Cisco CRS and ASR9000.

I don't understand the end there... Are IOS updates supposed to stop? EOL??

And then here on WHT, most of us are running data center enterprises, not carriers. If I were building a carrier, yes, I would likely build it on Juniper gear, largely due to the scripting capabilities, but I don't see how that should make any difference when deciding on a product to use for an entirely different purpose. Because one carrier choses one product over another doesn't make the other not carrier grade, there are still plenty of carriers largely based on the CIsco CSR, ASR900, etc.

Simply put, you buy the product for what you need, simply blindly going with Cisco or Juniper isn't going to get you the best result. The Cisco 7600/6500 series was not intended for carrier core, but it works amazingly well for enterprise core or data center/carrier distribution, which is what it was made for. If you need carrier core, look at the Cisco CRS, and if you don't feel that is carrier grade, you're crazy... The same applies to Juniper products as well, you need to pick the right gear for the right job.

I use 3750G at the Rack level but to be honest the 3560G is just as good (its essentially the same without the stack interconnect).

If you're often dealing with one process taking out an entire router then you have bigger problems, imho. We've seen a BGP bug in the 6500's that will occasionally cause high CPU, but it abates and does not crash it. Even then, the 6500 is intended for enterprise and/or distribution use, not as a core router for a carrier. That sort of issue is about the only time we've ever come close to needing to reboot a 6500, other than IOS updates. Even then, some Cisco routers do have the capability you describe. I believe they made an IOS line to do that on the 6500, was too experimental for our taste, but that is certainly a feature of the IOS XR for the Cisco CRS and ASR9000.

I don't understand the end there... Are IOS updates supposed to stop? EOL??

And then here on WHT, most of us are running data center enterprises, not carriers. If I were building a carrier, yes, I would likely build it on Juniper gear, largely due to the scripting capabilities, but I don't see how that should make any difference when deciding on a product to use for an entirely different purpose. Because one carrier choses one product over another doesn't make the other not carrier grade, there are still plenty of carriers largely based on the CIsco CSR, ASR900, etc.

Simply put, you buy the product for what you need, simply blindly going with Cisco or Juniper isn't going to get you the best result. The Cisco 7600/6500 series was not intended for carrier core, but it works amazingly well for enterprise core or data center/carrier distribution, which is what it was made for. If you need carrier core, look at the Cisco CRS, and if you don't feel that is carrier grade, you're crazy... The same applies to Juniper products as well, you need to pick the right gear for the right job.

+1. I think we just became best friends. Couldn't have said it better myself!