Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    * Web Hosting for Newbie!

    Hi, i am Jenny. I was thinking about which WebHost would be suitable for me. Basically i have blogs running on blogspot and wordpress and want to take one step further into making my own genuine site. I also want to run 10 to 15 sites in future all wordpress based.

    What do you recommend? I am thinking of HostGator.

    Any more good webhost?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    1,606
    How much diskspace/bandwidth do you require? Also do you have a specific budget in mind?
    CrocWeb :: Canadian Web Hosting
    Accelerate your website, maximum performance!
    www.crocweb.com :: Since 2009 (Montreal, Quebec)

  3. #3
    There are many good web hosts. Check the offers section and you might find something of interest.
    Hostjunkies Affordable Web Hosting
    Professional Web Hosting | 99.9% Uptime | Cloudlinux | Softaculous
    Daily backups | cPanel Control Panel | Tier III Datacenter
    Follow us on twitter @hostjunkies | 4+ Years in Industry

  4. #4
    Thanks for your reply. I need unlimited space and bandwidth, in the sense space wont be a problem, but if i have 20 or so sites on it, will that be a problem?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by hostjunkies View Post
    There are many good web hosts. Check the offers section and you might find something of interest.
    Just need some guidance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Modesto California
    Posts
    6,461
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    Just need some guidance.
    I hate to sound like a broken record on these forums, but I would recommend staying away from any provider claiming to offer unlimited diskspace/bandwidth. Those are usually the companies that are overcrowding their servers which leads to poor performance for your website. Some companies I have come across here on WHT that generally get nothing but good reviews are Stablehost, MDDHosting, Hawkhost and Downtownhost. I havent tried their services first hand, but from what I read and hear, they are great. Anyway, hope that at least gets you moving in the right direction.
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

    Need Business Cards? Click Here

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    5,054
    Hi Jenny and welcome to the forums. HostGator is a great company they have good support and there plans aren't that bad for a new commer into the hosting industry. But if your looking to host about 20 sites or so I wouldn't recommend going with a host that offers unlimited. First off unlimited disk space and bandwidth is another saying for use as much resources as you want. Most of the time companies like HG over crowd there servers with shared accounts and pack the suit out of them. I'd suggest going with a company like HawkHost or MDDHost . Basiclly any web hosting provider you see around WHT advertising is a good company to check out now do remember to always look at reviews before you sign up and if you can send a support ticket or start a live chat with the company your going to choose and ask some questions see how they are with support.

  8. #8
    One thing to consider is that since you are intending to host 10-15 websites, you might want to look into a Reseller Hosting provider instead.

    Hosting all 10-15 websites on a cPanel account isn't a very good idea as there are limits on the number of simultaneous connections each cPanel account can run at any one time, and furthermore if one website runs into issues which requires suspension, the cPanel account will be suspended and effectively all 10-15 websites will be unavailable. Using WHM to create separate cPanel accounts for each website solves these issues.
    HostStellar.com - Stellar Shared and Reseller Hosting
    Features: LiteSpeed Powered | R1Soft Backup (6 hourly) | RVSiteBuilder Pro | Jailed SSH Access
    Guarantees: 24/7/365 Stellar Support | 30 Days Money Back | 99.9% Uptime SLA

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,766
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I need unlimited space and bandwidth, in the sense space wont be a problem, but if i have 20 or so sites on it, will that be a problem?
    Most of us have had bad experiences with the unlimited hosts, and in your situation I'll recommend a different way to approach it.

    Hostseller_Jansen mentioned a reseller account, and I think that's the way for you to go. You won't find "unlimited" accounts as a reseller, but I currently host 17 Wordpress sites in less than 8 GB of total disk space.

    A reseller account is a great way to manage all your sites, even if you never "resell" anything. I prefer cPanel-based reseller accounts; you get a control panel called "Web Host Manager" (WHM) that allows you to set up accounts, and each account then has a cPanel control panel. Once you provision the space within WHM, you go to the cPanel account and they usually feature either Fantastico or Softaculous, a one-click auto-installer that will install Wordpress in a matter of seconds. You then go to the domain and /wp-admin/ like usual to configure WP.

    WHM will allow you to increase the disk space and bandwidth for each account as your needs grow. I find that some sites never need more than 100MB of disk space, while others grow to needing 500MB. But rarely does one site take more than that (a couple of mine do).

    I was at Dathorn.com for 7 years, and they are very good. Very quick support, and people are very helpful in the forums (they do not offer much help to newbies, as the owner can be terse sometimes, but the support is very quick). They have a $13 plan that would work well for you. It seems like the disk space is small, but they don't include the database storage as part of your disk space. I was running all of my accounts on their $27 a month plan.

    The other host I can recommend is MDDHosting, where I am now for my VPS. I moved there to get my VPS based on their reputation for support, and they haven't disappointed me. I have not used their reseller accounts, but the folks there seem happy, and in terms of server speed and helpfulness, they are top notch.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,766
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    Hi, i am Jenny. I was thinking about which WebHost would be suitable for me. Basically i have blogs running on blogspot and wordpress and want to take one step further into making my own genuine site. I also want to run 10 to 15 sites in future all wordpress based.

    What do you recommend? I am thinking of HostGator.

    Any more good webhost?
    You know, I was assuming that you were going to move all your blogspot and Wordpress blogs to their own domains when I suggested a reseller account. It would be a good solution for your future 10 to 15 sites.

    Domain Names: You will need to buy a domain name for each Wordpress site, and just based on my experience, its easier if they are all at the same registrar. You may be more organized than I am, but I like logging into a control panel and seeing exactly which domains are up for renewal all in one place. And you might look into getting a domain reseller account as well, as you can save some money over time. Popular ones are eNom and ResellerClub.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    I hate to sound like a broken record on these forums, but I would recommend staying away from any provider claiming to offer unlimited diskspace/bandwidth. Those are usually the companies that are overcrowding their servers which leads to poor performance for your website. Some companies I have come across here on WHT that generally get nothing but good reviews are Stablehost, MDDHosting, Hawkhost and Downtownhost. I havent tried their services first hand, but from what I read and hear, they are great. Anyway, hope that at least gets you moving in the right direction.
    Thanks at FernGullyGraphics. Frankly speaking i never heard about these Hosting, sorry they might be famous i am not aware of such hosting sites you mentioned.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by LongArms View Post
    Hi Jenny and welcome to the forums. HostGator is a great company they have good support and there plans aren't that bad for a new commer into the hosting industry. But if your looking to host about 20 sites or so I wouldn't recommend going with a host that offers unlimited. First off unlimited disk space and bandwidth is another saying for use as much resources as you want. Most of the time companies like HG over crowd there servers with shared accounts and pack the suit out of them. I'd suggest going with a company like HawkHost or MDDHost . Basiclly any web hosting provider you see around WHT advertising is a good company to check out now do remember to always look at reviews before you sign up and if you can send a support ticket or start a live chat with the company your going to choose and ask some questions see how they are with support.

    Well put up post. Well I am hearing hosting companies like HawkHost and MDDhost all the way, will check out the sites and reviews.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Modesto California
    Posts
    6,461
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    Thanks at FernGullyGraphics. Frankly speaking i never heard about these Hosting, sorry they might be famous i am not aware of such hosting sites you mentioned.
    Your welcome, the companies I mentioned to you are pretty well known around these forums. Not nearly as big as HG, but in my opinion that is a good thing as you will get more personal attention (should you need it). In any case, make sure you let us know who you end up on going with.
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

    Need Business Cards? Click Here

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,799
    Another vote for HawkHost. Great service and support.

    I second looking for a small reseller account. Many cPanel hosts (HawkHost included) now limit the cpu resources that can be used by a single account directly from cpanel. Having 20 dynamic blogs might be to much for one account.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts
    Download Trial

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    on the ninkynonk!
    Posts
    907
    make sure you get one with cpanel. cpanel is good.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    7,200
    Hawk Host and StableHost are both suitable for most websites.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Your welcome, the companies I mentioned to you are pretty well known around these forums. Not nearly as big as HG, but in my opinion that is a good thing as you will get more personal attention (should you need it). In any case, make sure you let us know who you end up on going with.
    Yes, surely......

  18. #18
    KVCHosting is offering its services for 3.49/monthly for unlimited bandwidth and space along with free domain. Is the hosting good?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    KVCHosting is offering its services for 3.49/monthly for unlimited bandwidth and space along with free domain. Is the hosting good?
    Hi Jenny I would avoid the unlimted offering on KVC. As previous members have pointed out, if it looks too good to be true then it probably is. The fact is everything has its limits, and KVC's pricing is very low. If you want your websites online 99% of the time, research, research and more research. Contact a number of hosts when you have a list of those you like and see what they can offer you.

    I would look at spending upwards of $8/5 per month for a reliable reseller, which should be adequate at this time, you can upgrade with most providers very easily. If you give us some reference to your blogs it, would be easier to calculate what resources your blogs are consuming, as a good rule of thumb I would be to start with 5GB space and 50GB bandwidth per month.

    Good luck.
    Web Request - Shared / Reseller / Cloud / VPS / Dedicated
    Multiple Domain Hosting .... 24/7 Technical Support - UK Website

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    58
    Jenny do you have an approximate idea how much bandwidth and memory usage will your website require?

    Or if you can't answer the above, how about the content, is it WordPress, Joomla, phpbb forums etc?

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    KVCHosting is offering its services for 3.49/monthly for unlimited bandwidth and space along with free domain. Is the hosting good?


    Checking out the below list I would go with the company offering best deal for me,well can contact all and then have a review

    I can see many listed here including hostgator,bluehost,kvchosting,1&1 hosting


    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/web-ho...shared-hosting

  22. #22
    As for looking into cheap and reliable hosting, you would prefer Lunar pages as they provide a reliable and secured hosting with instant support.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo | TMZhosting View Post
    Jenny do you have an approximate idea how much bandwidth and memory usage will your website require?

    Or if you can't answer the above, how about the content, is it WordPress, Joomla, phpbb forums etc?
    Like i said its for wordpress.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,766
    Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    Like i said its for wordpress.
    Right, you are looking to host a single site for now, but plan on having up to 10 Wordpress blogs. And cost is a concern, right?

    One thing you might consider, since there's a bit of an investment for your eventual solution, is choosing a regular shared hosting plan with one of the recommended providers as long as that provider has an upgrade path to a reseller plan, a VPS and a dedicated server. That way, if you are happy with them, you can move very easily to their next larger plan. They will usually transition the sites for you at no charge with a minimum of fuss. And you have the ability to "test" them out before committing to more.

    People have recommended Hawkhost and a few others. I'm with MDDHosting for a VPS, and can recommend them based on their support and attention to the servers (plus, they extended one of their "new customer" offers to all customers which I thought was really nice).

    In any case, that's an approach you might consider.

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie at web hosting, need help
    By chrevanthreddy in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 01:34 PM
  2. Web Hosting Newbie Help
    By BRBR in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 04:23 AM
  4. Newbie Web Hosting Questions
    By rmcrooks in forum Web Hosting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2002, 12:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •