Dose the location of the hosting server affect ranking in specific countries?

If I am targeting visitors in Ireland - how important is it that my website be hosted in ireland?

US hosting is a good deal cheaper - is hosting my irish site in the US a bad idea?

Also, irish sites have the .ie domain. Will a .ie domain hosted in ireland rank better than the .com equivelant also hosted in ireland?

location matters in load time of your site.not in ranking
    server located in us will take a bit more time to load for a irish visitor.
    the difference is very less, so you can go for US host.

.com is best for SEO i think,as i have never seen geographical tld like .ie, .ca, .pk rank good in SE

Quote Originally Posted by tintu View Post
    If I am targeting visitors in Ireland - how important is it that my website be hosted in ireland?
    Very.

Also, irish sites have the .ie domain. Will a .ie domain hosted in ireland rank better than the .com equivelant also hosted in ireland?
    Will it rank differently - no, will more people click the link(s) becuase they recognise the TLD as Ireland - yes.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

US hosting is a good deal cheaper - is hosting my irish site in the US a bad idea?

Hosting location don't affect ranking in any country. You can specify country for a website in webmaster tool.

Location of hosting server does not affect much more in the search rankings so you can host your site in US. The.ie domain will be better for your site to host in the ireland, it will rank better.

The best you can do is to use .IE domain hosted on a local IP address. Search algorithms would rank your website top in the SERP for local Irish search even if it is hosted in the U.S., UK or continental Europe, it is still better to use .IE and a local IP. There is not doubt about that.
    Host Color Cloud Servers & Dedicated Hosting & European Infrastructure Hosting
    U.S. Data center 90 miles from Chicago
    Network ★ AS46873 Level 3, Cogent, Hurricane Electric, Retn.net, Midwest Peering
    24/7 Support 1-574-367-2393; Skype: HostColor