hosting company wants to charge me for another year.

I recently decided to change hosting companies and my current hosting company wants me to pay for another year (£50) because i didn't cancel my hosting 30 days before the end of the subscription.

They haven't charged me yet and there is still about a week before the end of the current subscription to this company.
    I think this is a very unfair charge as it is for something i haven't even started using and was not clearly pointed out in any of information they provided.

I am awaiting an authorisation code to transfer the domain to another company so i guess once i get that they can't hold it ransom.

What do you think i should do? I could refuse to pay them; provided i have my domain transferred to another company by then, what exactly can they do to me?

or i could just pay them, I’d have to stay with them for another year i guess, but surely some other better hosting company should get my money and not them, what do you peeps think?

Hello and welcome to WHT

Did you agree to these payment terms via a contract when you signed up?

Personally, I think charging a client that is leaving for an entire year they won't use is a bit underhanded, but on the other hand, if that's what their TOS says, and you agreed to it when you signed up...they aren't really legally in the wrong.

They can go to collections to try and receive the unpaid amount if you agreed to their terms of service but, since the amount is so low they may not.

If they have stated in their ToS that cancellations should be initiated one month prior to next billing date, legally they are correct. But they can give you an option to pay for another month and let you cancel as per their ToS. Ask them whether they would agree with this or not. If they still compel you to pay for another year I think it is bit unfair.
    iHubNet Ltd - Premium Hosting Solutions 4 ALL
    Solid Support Solid Equipment Solid Network
    Shared Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Managed Server
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    If they have stated in their ToS that cancellations should be initiated one month prior to next billing date, legally they are correct. But they can give you an option to pay for another month and let you cancel as per their ToS. Ask them whether they would agree with this or not. If they still compel you to pay for another year I think it is bit unfair.
    This is exactly what I would do, and is personally the option I would choose to offer my own clients as well. Them making you pay for a full year is just rediculous really.

Might also be a good idea to contact Consumer Direct for free advise: http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/

Though what you can do really depends on several factors...

- Company Location (Since you used £, I'm assuming UK based)
    - Company type (incorporated or not)
    - Whether you are acting as a business or individual
    - Contract compliance with the UTCCR rules (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations)

hi, thanks for the replys,

yeah, i mean leagally they're right, when presented with a long drawn out list of terms and conditions you sometimes miss these things, ya know.

they said i could pay £10 less and finish up the account. so i'll probably do that, might see if i can negotiate them down a bit more tho cause its still quite alot, for the five minutes it'll take them close the account.

As said, you have to allow at least 13 - 14 days before the contract finished to have a swift cancellation following traditional contract termination.

Thats how it works I'm afraid.
    Garbott Ltd - Exceptional web development, hosting & consultancy services

Quote Originally Posted by kimstock View Post
    hi, thanks for the replys,
    You are welcome mate.
    yeah, i mean leagally they're right, when presented with a long drawn out list of terms and conditions you sometimes miss these things, ya know.
    Yes you might miss sometimes but always be careful to read very important things like cancellation policies.

they said i could pay £10 less and finish up the account. so i'll probably do that, might see if i can negotiate them down a bit more tho cause its still quite alot, for the five minutes it'll take them close the account.
    I would still say another monthly charge is more than enough in such circumstances. Wish you good luck to get it lowered somehow.
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by HostPolar View Post
    They can go to collections to try and receive the unpaid amount if you agreed to their terms of service but, since the amount is so low they may not.
    Most collection companies you pay an initial fee then submit as many customers as you have to send through to collections. Therefore, debt size does not matter. All those $50 add up
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse_613 View Post
    Most collection companies you pay an initial fee then submit as many customers as you have to send through to collections. Therefore, debt size does not matter. All those $50 add up
    What debt collectors do you use? Most I've seen purchase said debt for an amount, add their fees, etc and then try and get you to pay double.

Honestly, if a provider tried to MILK / SCAM a full year out of me I'd be cancelling my card, etc. They can't touch you. And even if they did send collections, just ignore them.

Hi, thanks again for all your advice,
    so believe it or not i think i managed to get out of paying at all.

In a chat session i first negotiated to downgrade my package to the £30 a year basic package and then the guy said i could downgrade to a mail only package that would only cost 10 a month and then register another domain which would take over the package allowing me to move my current domain to another provider. I was fairly confused at this point and asked for clarification, he asked to call me which he did and after talking for a bit he said oh we could just not charge you!

I have a copy of the text part of this conversation with him confirming that there will be no charges for safe keeping.

I would post it here but it is rather long, i guess he didn't want to waste any more time.

So there you have it, I’m still quite surprised by this outcome.

Mekhu: sorry you posted that while i was posting, i wasn't particularly worried about the card anyway as i had already move on from the card with details they had anyway.

Hi, thanks again for all your advice,
    so believe it or not i think i managed to get out of paying at all.
    Really glad to hear that mate.
    Matt A.

Quote Originally Posted by iHubNet-Matt View Post
    Really glad to hear that mate.
    Cheers, the thing is i was quite willing to pay £10 or £30 if he had pushed for it, i guess he probably felt bad for trying to charge me the money in the first place

Cheers, the thing is i was quite willing to pay £10 or £30 if he had pushed for it, i guess he probably felt bad for trying to charge me the money in the first place
    Yeah it seems he could understand the scenario better and he might be a person who knows the value of doing business with good ethics.
    Matt A.

It is kind of shocking when we are a little surprised to hear a story actually ending well.
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you