Thread: Telia Vs Level3

Telia Vs Level3

I am getting a colo offer using Telia Sonera or global crossing and i dont know how reliable are these network and what are the pricing of 100 mbits unmetered on both

currently using Level3 on telecity Powergate facility London and i am getting the Telia Sonera offer on Telecity Frankfurt

Both are very good networks.
    To say which is better is hard to tell.

It also depends where most of your visitors come from (Americas, Asia or Europe).
    In Europe both Level3 and Telia are very reliable, from my own experience Level3 has a current uptime of 100% over the last three years, for Telia I can't tell (because I don't know).

However, both are very well.
    My personal hunch would be Level3, for my good experiences with them last years.

You mentioned about Global Crossing, were you actually referring to level3 or gblx?

the colo provider has both gblx and telia

I prefere glbx and telia over level3.

Quote Originally Posted by houssamfarag View Post
    I am getting a colo offer using Telia Sonera or global crossing and i dont know how reliable are these network and what are the pricing of 100 mbits unmetered on both

currently using Level3 on telecity Powergate facility London and i am getting the Telia Sonera offer on Telecity Frankfurt
    Telia is good in some parts of the world and not that great in others. For example here in Dallas they're OK during some times and horrible at others. Penetration into Asia has not been that great for Telia where Level 3 has pretty much rocked over the last few years, even if they had some issues around this time last year or so. As far as I can tell though they're back to normal when getting into China which is hard to get into due to how congested their networks are.

If I had to choose though I would choose...

1) Level 3
    2) Telia
    3) Global Crossing

When it comes to pricing though I really can't tell you that since it's going to vary widely from where you're connecting to them, which I have no clue the costs in the EU, and other various factors like which sales rep you get, if you go thru a reseller, etc.

Best of luck!
    Jacob Wall

Quote Originally Posted by BudWay View Post
    I prefere glbx and telia over level3.
    Why is this?
    'Ripcord'ing is the only way!

I thought everybody liked level3?
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Quote Originally Posted by ninkynonk View Post
    I thought everybody liked level3?
    Huge fan of L3 here - you can't really go wrong with having them in your network.

Most of my outgoing peering is though Telia and it had always great peer speed. Got 20mbps cap and usually can reach it from any continent.
    How can you factor in VAT when comparing since you are subject to VAT on everything? Obviously purchases made outside the EU are not going to be collected with VAT, but are you not still responsible to pay it on your own? - Tim Flavin from "Hostigation.com"

Level3 is very good network, however they are a Tier 1. You do not want to be single homed to any Tier 1 ISP. If (when) the next big peering dispute starts you may end up being isolated from some parts of the internet.

Level3 is a very good network, but they lack peers to smaller Internet access providers simply because they refuse to peer with them. (it makes sense for them commercially, but does hurt their customers as well).
    Telia is definitely a better carrier in Europe while Level3 is stronger in the USA. Telia/Level(3) mix would be a good idea. Combine it with a party that peers with smaller providers (ie: Cogent, He.net) and you will have a very low latency to most -if not all- Eyeballs in Europe and the USA.
    NTT/Verio and TATA would be carriers with a stronger Asian presence then the above mentioned carriers. So adding one of them (or both) in your mix would improve your routing to Asia. IF you target mainly South America / South Europe you might also want to consider Telefonica.

I guess the 'dream' mix would be:

Level(3) - Telia - Tata - Telefonica - Cogent or HE - NTT

Such a mix of carriers would be truly complementary.
    Last edited by swiftnoc; 04-02-2011 at 05:55 AM.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

how is TWTelcom? They are strong in my area.
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Quote Originally Posted by Visbits View Post
    Why is this?
    Telia has better direct conections and level3 I always noticed wired hops/trace when I used it.

It's just not that good for Americas, but that's my opnion.

I also would prefere Globalcrossing (GBLX) over level3 for the same reason.

If you want asia traffic search for NTT/Verio in the combination.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    Level3 is a very good network, but they lack peers to smaller Internet access providers simply because they refuse to peer with them. (it makes sense for them commercially, but does hurt their customers as well).
    Telia is definitely a better carrier in Europe while Level3 is stronger in the USA. Telia/Level(3) mix would be a good idea. Combine it with a party that peers with smaller providers (ie: Cogent, He.net) and you will have a very low latency to most -if not all- Eyeballs in Europe and the USA.
    NTT/Verio and TATA would be carriers with a stronger Asian presence then the above mentioned carriers. So adding one of them (or both) in your mix would improve your routing to Asia. IF you target mainly South America / South Europe you might also want to consider Telefonica.

I guess the 'dream' mix would be:

Level(3) - Telia - Tata - Telefonica - Cogent or HE - NTT

Such a mix of carriers would be truly complementary.
    You forgot about Dtag (Deutsche Telekom), cogent is ok never saw "big" issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ninkynonk View Post
    how is TWTelcom? They are strong in my area.
    TimeWarner telecom is very good.
    (But they are not perfect, they have some wired peering)

I would say they are neck to neck with Telia and GlobalCrossing.
    (Would be a hard pick, mable I would go with Timewarner telecom)

so it's a go for having cogent as a backup?

so far from what I've gathered a decent mix is Level3/Telia/GLBX/Cogent/HE/AboveNet/TWTelcom

any others???

also If I had to choose only 3 from that list (say a tough budget) what would your 3 be?
    Something awesome
    coming soon....

Quote Originally Posted by BudWay View Post
    TimeWarner telecom is very good.
    (But they are not perfect, they have some wired peering)

I would say they are neck to neck with Telia and GlobalCrossing.
    (Would be a hard pick, mable I would go with Timewarner telecom)
    TW Telecom has a pretty good network and surprisingly decent asian connectivity the main drawback is that they are priced a great deal higher than everyone else.
    XLHost.com
    Dedicated Servers, Virtual Private Servers, and more since 1995.
    drew @ xlhost.com