Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

powermonster.net review

I have a few sites hosted with them.
    http://bunnykinsblog.com and http://absoluteotaku.com.
    Have not really done much with either one. There are a few reasons why a few of them will be mentioned in this review.

As some of you may know birdhosting bought out powermonser.net several months ago. The first month after the buy out nothing changed. The second month after the buy out things did change. It took a long time to move the site over to the new servers owned by birdhosting and that whole month there were speed issues and other issues while they were getting every thing configured correctly. We being the customers were given a month free do to the issues so that is a good thing.
    The third month and to this day there are speed issues. Granted it is not as slow as a few hosts I have had in the past like godaddy and umm one I forgot the name of that was really slow. Any way it is slow but not slow to the point where I want to cancel. Defiantly not the speed I was getting before the buy out though which was awesome. I mean before the buy out speeds were so fast you blinked and you missed it doing some thing like wordpress updates and installing of plug ins. Speaking of wordpress updates and installing plug ins. Another issue that I some times have is time outs while installing themes, plug ins or even uploading of images. I did open a ticket about it and they could not find any thing on their end and had no issues uploading themes or images.

Recently I was told they are going to be getting rid of lightspeed, which has me worried that things might get even slower. Kind of like when they tried Apache the second month after the buy out and it was found not to work and to break thing on my site.

Do to the lightspeed thing I am back on here wondering if I should stay with them or change. I looked at going back to downtownhost as they where so an awesome host but was thinking If I move back to them why not just move all my sites to them. How ever the issue with that is my other host which is mddhosting. I have no issues with them. Brings up another thought of going fully with mddhosting but not really sure about that either. I know from past experience that it is never a good idea to have every thing on one host. Although I do not really expect any thing to happen with either mddhosting or downtownhost.com.

Oh I forgot to mention the support for powermonter.net it has not changed all that much as I think the support staff is still the same but I do miss some of the tickets being answered by the old owner of powermonster which was a good guy. I mean he was a lot like the owner of downtownhost although he would not admit it when it was mentioned to him. The support is not terrible by any means if it was I would not even be hesitant about leaving.

Why are they getting rid of litespeed? Was it due to issues with litespeed or the cost? Either way, interesting...

Ya some thing about the cost and they are going with some thing called vanish or was it vernish.

Oh I should probably mention I have been doing ping tests to my site with powermonster.net and the powermonster.net domain and seeing a huge difference.

Average ping time to bunnykinsblog.com is 829ms and the average to powermonster.net is 210ms. Oh I have also been pinging otakuplayground.com which is hosted by mdd and getting an even different number which is 321ms. I thought I would try doing downtownhost.com as well and I get 397ms with them.

Hi, Amy!

Sorry to hear that speeds are not what they were when I owned it. I'm sure if you communicate with them, they might be able to do something.

Scott
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.ô
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

Hmm interesting, based on my experience, anytime a good company is bought out, things tend to go in the opposite direction. I usually dont pay to much mind to what web server the company is using unless I have specific compatibility requirements (or if I plan on running a VPS/Dedicated Environment). Apache combined with Varnish is faster than Litespeed by itself, however that does not necessarily mean that the server is going to run faster. It actually sounds to me like they are simply trying to add the new clients from the acquisition onto existing servers? This is probably why you are noticing slower load times because you now have twice the amount of clients per server (pure speculation of course).
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Hmm interesting, based on my experience, anytime a good company is bought out, things tend to go in the opposite direction. I usually dont pay to much mind to what web server the company is using unless I have specific compatibility requirements (or if I plan on running a VPS/Dedicated Environment). Apache combined with Varnish is faster than Litespeed by itself, however that does not necessarily mean that the server is going to run faster. It actually sounds to me like they are simply trying to add the new clients from the acquisition onto existing servers? This is probably why you are noticing slower load times because you now have twice the amount of clients per server (pure speculation of course).
    I have actually had accounts with lots of hosts that have been bought out. With the past buy outs things were way worse then this and was fear full at first that things would happen like they have in the past. This speed issue is nothing compared to the buy outs I have experienced in the past. The host I had just before powermonsters was bought out and the support became non existent, which is what I have experienced the most of.

I have never experienced a buy out of a host I was on that has been positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy-T View Post

I have never experienced a buy out of a host I was on that has been positive.
    Well if that is the case then maybe its time to make some changes before things get worse? Why not just split up your website amongst the two web hosts you have generally had a good experience with? (MDD and Downtown)?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics

Yep I am thinking getting an account with downtownhost to replace the powermonster.net account.

Yep I am thinking getting an account with downtownhost to replace the powermonster.net account.
    Defintley sounds like that would be the smart move.

PS. Isn't everity the company that went M.I.A in terms of support? Was just curious because I noticed you still had them listed as a great host on your signature?

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Defintley sounds like that would be the smart move.

PS. Isn't everity the company that went M.I.A in terms of support? Was just curious because I noticed you still had them listed as a great host on your signature?
    Nope everity is fine.
    Thought about going back to them too but noticed when I checked them out that they have unlimited so changed my mind on going to them.

Nope everity is fine.
    Thought about going back to them too but noticed when I checked them out that they have unlimited so changed my mind on going to them.
    Oh ok, must have confused them with another company. I tend to do that a lot

Whirlhost was the host I had before powermoster that the support went M.I.A after a buy out.

Whirlhost was the host I had before powermoster that the support went M.I.A after a buy out.
    Oh wait, everity is the company I was referring to.. I came across a couple threads similar to the following during the past couple months..

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ht=everity.com

Well I have not had an account with them for almost a year so who knows what happened after I left. They used to be very big on not selling unlimited even had several articles on the site about why they do not sell unlimited. So when I saw that the other day I was taken back and left the site. Maybe James does not own it any more or to compete he had to change.

I might have to remove them from my siggy.

Well I have not had an account with them for almost a year so who knows what happened after I left. They used to be very big on not selling unlimited even had several articles on the site about why they do not sell unlimited. So when I saw that the other day I was taken back and left the site. Maybe James does not own it any more or to compete he had to change.

I might have to remove them from my siggy.
    Oh I see, yes from what I hear Everity support is pretty much non-existent and left most of their clientele "holding the bag" so to speak.

Sad when good hosts go away like that. I have seen it happen far to often.
    I remember a host that used liquid webs's server go down with out a word to the clients. I had to find a host pretty fast after they went under. I think they called them selves inferno technologies or some thing like that.

Oh I should probably mention I have been doing ping tests to my site with powermonster.net and the powermonster.net domain and seeing a huge difference.

Average ping time to bunnykinsblog.com is 829ms and the average to powermonster.net is 210ms. Oh I have also been pinging otakuplayground.com which is hosted by mdd and getting an even different number which is 321ms. I thought I would try doing downtownhost.com as well and I get 397ms with them.
    Amy, first I am sorry to hear you are having problems.

Second, if you have been experiencing these kind of ping times, we need to look into them. And I wish we would have heard about them from you in a ticket before we saw them in a post here. I am at approximately the same geographic distance you are from the Seattle Cloud and here are the following ping times I get for those two servers:

www.powermonster.net:
    Pinging www.powermonster.net [204.11.96.12] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 204.11.96.12: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=47
    Reply from 204.11.96.12: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 204.11.96.12:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 69ms, Maximum = 71ms, Average = 69ms

www.bunnykinsblog.com
    Pinging www.bunnykinsblog.com [207.14.35.226] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 207.14.35.226: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=47
    Reply from 207.14.35.226: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=47
    Reply from 207.14.35.226: bytes=32 time=70ms TTL=47
    Reply from 207.14.35.226: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=47

Ping statistics for 207.14.35.226:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 69ms, Maximum = 72ms, Average = 70ms

As you can see, from my location in Dallas, the ping times are approximately equal for both.

Using www.pingdom.com, here are the page load times I get for those two sites:

www.bunnykinsblog.com
    http://tools.pingdom.com/?url=www.bu...pe=0&save=true
    (Load time is the first bar, the subsequent bars are links within the site).
    On any server 0.7 seconds is a great load time.

www.powermonster.net:
    http://tools.pingdom.com/?url=www.po...pe=0&save=true
    Powermonster.net takes approximately the same amount of time to load at 0.8s.

We also have REALLY REALLY optimized the snot (pardon the expression) out of that server after the takeover. When it was located in Los Angeles the load average at all times was 6 to 10 on that box. We now have it down to 0.5 to 1.5.

In regards to dropping LiteSpeed, it really has very little to do with cost. Not going to put up numbers, but the cost of the monthly license for LiteSpeed is chump change compared to our revenue. The decision simply stems from the fact that we have found a BETTER alternative in Varnish.

You can read more about Varnish, and UNIXy's plugin for it for cPanel here (still waiting on a DirectAdmin version):
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1017369

We have already moved the entire powerMonster and Bird Hosting customers from cPanel/LiteSpeed to cPanel/Varnish and we have not had one single complaint. It has been the opposite. People asked us if we doubled or tripled the resources for the Cloud VDS that runs their website.

Hey Amy,

Just to add to Brents post.

I'd like to address' FernGullyGraphics who thought we might have tried to merge Powermonster customers onto existing servers with other customers on them etc. I can assure you this hasn't happened and this can be seen in the CPU load information. In addition to this we've actually added more servers to balance out customers on the busier servers. I do however understand where he is coming from as this would normally be "common practise".

Evidence can also been seen here http://my.powermonster.net/serverstatus.php (Updates have been performed recently so our Uptime is lower than it should be currently!)

Back to your issues, I too think your ping times are a little worrying, I am currently in the UK and I get a ping of around 167ms to your website and 187ms to Powermonster.net.

When we took over powermonster the servers were rather busy and in particular the server you are on was sitting at a cpu load constantly between 8-9. As it stands today cpu load on your server is 0.45 (right now) and tends to get to a maximum of 2. Although lower load doesn't 100% correlate with page speed it gives a massive indication that the servers were queing processes before they hit the cpu and now they are not.

We've worked very hard to optimise things like Mysql which before hand was left stock, on our test sites this actually improved page load times.

Because of the load issues we took the standard litespeed license from a 1CPU license to a 2CPU license.

To reiterate brents point about Varnish costs etc. this is because we are bringing Powermonster.net servers to a more consistent config. Our cloud based hosting has a highly customised setup to bring both speed and stability and after much testing with various apache modules and alternative software (litespeed etc.) the evidence we gained was that overall performance is better with Apache + Varnish.

If you would like to investigate your speed problems further I'd ask you please open a support ticket as with the improvements we've made this should not be happening.

I did open a ticket or 2 about the time outs which is I think related to the speed issues. When nothing was really found on those tickets I did not feel it would help to open one about the speed because of how close the 2 issues are related.

Any way I will go ahead and open a ticket.

Amy,

Thank you for opening the ticket, the timeout issues you had did appear to be ISP related and we never had anything further back from you. Timeouts and speed issues are generally in a completely different ballpark.

If needs be we can do a remote help session where you can remotely view your pages loading on one of our staff members computers and we can then do the same on your computer to see if there is a difference.

Well that is an interesting idea. I mean the remote desktop idea.

After a remote desktop session with Amy we have found that the problem was a local one to her, currently her connection is showing some packet loss which may have affected viewing all websites. In addition to this Amy was very surprised at the speed her pages were loading on our system during the remote session, so much so she has done a new OS install on her computer and after updates her sites are now running as fast as they should be.

The two sites that were being compared for speed (one on our host, one on an external host) did differed massively. Loading time was 247% higher on the website we hosted, however the total objects are 258% higher, total size 500% higher and the html size was 950% higher.

To confirm details about BirdHostings take over of PowerMonster.net we have vastly improved the service including cutting down the amount of users per server and the server hardware, network hardware and even the ips used to host PowerMonster.net customers are owned by the parent company BirdHosting Inc, this is very different than the vast majority of hosts out there and shows our on going commitment to PowerMonster.net and its customers.

Something sad about this thread is it appears the customer was made to worry about our services by a third party, who she should have been able to trust, and suffice to say they acted completely unprofessionally.

I hope Amy is able to confirm our findings above and that she is a customer for years to come.

We did do a lot of trouble shooting to find where the issue is or was at.

I do apologize to birdhosting. The review was not meant to make them look as bad as it did. As mentioned the support is good and they actually proved it is better then good it is great. One of the things I should have considered is the file size of the 2 sites I was comparing. Although learning of the file size difference it does make me wonder what will happen when I upgrade the site running ipb 2 to ipb 3. The site running ipb 2 is the smaller one even though it has more ad-ons installed, lots more in fact. The larger file size site on birdhosting/ powermonster is running ipb 3 with only 2 ad ons, ip.content and ip.gallery so I will admit the file size did surprise me as much as seeing how fast it ran for them.

I did format and install windows 7 as it did have windows vista. Was something I planned on doing any way. I did do it to see if the issue was with my computer. Not only for what I saw on the remote desktop but how long it took to install java so I could see the remote support.

Glad to see everything is clear now. I'm also a Powermonster customer (but using DirectAdmin) and thinking about getting a Cpanel + Varnish solution (while keeping my DirectAdmin account). I'm considering another Powermonster account, will send a few questions.
    Around two decades of web marketing experience & millions of visitors.
    NunoAlex.com explains my expertise & how I can help you.
    Contact me!

I have Directadmin as well. I do not much care for cpanel. Although it is not as bad as plesk.

I have more info about the speed issue. I recently open an account with http://mon.itor.us/ which was mentioned on another thread here and it shows the page loads. Right now it is showing the page loads as being faster with powermonster then they are with mdd. So I went back to my isp and after much talk I found they do have an issue that is caused by new equipment and upping the speeds customers are getting. Any way was told the backhaul is overloaded and causing speed issues and packet loss. So it is my isp that is causing the packet loss as well as the speed issues. Was told in 1 to 2 months they will be updating the backhaul.

Good news it's not powerMonster, but bad news it will take so long to fix.
    hostingDifferent---We're hostingDifferent.ô
    Premium, Managed and DIY WordPress hosting DONE RIGHT.
    Find out what SERVICE really means!--We're hostingDifferent.

I have more info about the speed issue. I recently open an account with http://mon.itor.us/ which was mentioned on another thread here and it shows the page loads. Right now it is showing the page loads as being faster with powermonster then they are with mdd. So I went back to my isp and after much talk I found they do have an issue that is caused by new equipment and upping the speeds customers are getting. Any way was told the backhaul is overloaded and causing speed issues and packet loss. So it is my isp that is causing the packet loss as well as the speed issues. Was told in 1 to 2 months they will be updating the backhaul.
    That sounds very odd..

By any chance, can you do a traceroute to your domain, I'm curiouse where the latency jumps up. That much latency is unheard of.

Powermonster.net had me run trace routes to find where the issue was and there is like 3 hopes before I go to the outside world and those hopes actually have large ping times.

How I understand the backhaul issue at the isp is the pipe every one is trying to go through is smaller then the combined speeds people are trying to get. So I take that as like a host having a bandwidth pipe of 100gb and trying to push 1000gb through it. That is just an example I have no idea what the numbers are for my isp.

Would you be willing to paste those? I'm just trying to help, it just seems odd to me.

Well one of the hopes has the name of my town and would prefer that not being on a public site. I will post it with the names edited out if that is ok.

H:\>tracert absoluteotaku.com

Tracing route to absoluteotaku.com [207.14.35.226]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms
    2 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms
    3 16 ms 16 ms 24 ms
    4 6 ms 6 ms 18 ms
    5 13 ms 11 ms 23 ms
    6 18 ms 13 ms 240 ms
    7 14 ms 17 ms 24 ms
    8 15 ms 15 ms 24 ms
    9 35 ms 65 ms 212 ms vlan109.car2.Minneapolis1.Level3.net [4.59.66.1]

10 35 ms 36 ms 35 ms ae-5-5.ebr2.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.136.110]
    11 74 ms 69 ms 77 ms ae-2-2.ebr2.Seattle1.Level3.net [4.69.132.53]
    12 64 ms 64 ms 63 ms ae-21-52.car1.Seattle1.Level3.net [4.68.105.34]

13 78 ms 67 ms 66 ms FORTRESS-CO.car1.Seattle1.Level3.net [4.53.145.1
    46]
    14 65 ms 77 ms 69 ms 173.225.17.34
    15 64 ms 64 ms * da.sea.birdhosting.com [207.14.35.226]
    16 71 ms 65 ms 66 ms da.sea.birdhosting.com [207.14.35.226]

Trace complete.

H:\>

That traceroute looks good -- you're still seeing issues?

On and off. It is not all the time. Right now things are fine.

Here is a ping test that has been going a while

Ping statistics for 207.14.35.226:
    Packets: Sent = 12283, Received = 12199, Lost = 84 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 65ms, Maximum = 89ms, Average = 67ms
    Control-Break

The times and packet loss was much higher Saturday when I was trouble shooting with powermonsters.

Next time it happens, if you do a traceroute we can confirm where the issue is if you want.

Thanks so are you a host your self or a customer of powermonster?

Thanks so are you a host your self or a customer of powermonster?
    We're a host, we just don't like to advertise as such (esp when it has to do with other people's clients)

My background is in networking though, so I like stuff like this.

Oh so I could have talked to you about this as I was really confused when we started trouble shooting. We did find it had to be something between me and the host so talked to the ips again and they mentioned the backhaul issue, which I kind of understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast