Monitoring VPS node?

So I have my first node up. How do I monitor CPU load and I/O now? So far I know top and iostat commands.

What would be the normal CPU load for 8 cores / 16 hyperthreaded? So far iostat shows my iodile it 90%+ and iowait less than 1% on the main node.

Im interested in other methods to test the perfomances / latency / speed / resource usage.

This depends a lot on the virtualization technology you're using: openvz, xen, vmware, kvm?

Quote Originally Posted by sheic View Post
    This depends a lot on the virtualization technology you're using: openvz, xen, vmware, kvm?
    Hello,

I use OpenVZ. Thanks for your reply. Advices would be appreciated..

I believe you can use munin. It's simple and powerful.
    Supportex.Net server management, full range of services. EU-based outsourced company. Since 1998.
    Outstanding quality for high performance projects; clustering and high-availability solutions, DDoS protection.
    Cisco/Juniper network management & deployment assistance. Network design and monitoring.

We use SolusVM to monitor our nodes. It contains about everything that you will need.

We use nagios to monitor everything, dedicated or virtual servers. Actually you can install an nrpe agent on any vps guest or dedicated server machine and monitor it the same way.

We use panopta and prtg.

ok thanks for suggestions guys.

Also,what would be the acceptable CPU load for a dual quad core(8 cores and 16 hyperthreated)? How to know how much can I push the node?