hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : VPS Hosting : Need help choosing unmanaged VPS (moving from virpus)

Forum Jump

Need help choosing unmanaged VPS (moving from virpus)

Reply Post New Thread In VPS Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Need help choosing unmanaged VPS (moving from virpus)

Hi all!

I'm totally disappointed with Virpus finally and their iotimes and disk latency gone high too high lately, so it is time to move to other host. Also I see no signs that they will improve in a nearest future.

So. I'm shopping for unmanaged VPS with ~1Gb ram, burstable to 1.5-2gb, about 50Gb HDD, control panel is not required, low io times. My site generates about 1.5-2Gb daily, but sometimes it requires heavy db/apache/php work for processing, so CPU and io are essential. 64 bit is a plus, as mysql works about 5-7% faster on 64bit. Ubuntu preferred, but CentOS will work as well, low rtt to EU is a big plus.

Right now I found following providers -
Franktech.ca - but it is unfortunately out of stock now,
BurstNet
QuickWeb

which offer similar packages for under 30$.

So the questions are:
1. is the price tag correct or I should go higher?
2. do you have any bad experiences with any of above providers?
3. also if you want to suggest some other host - I would ge grateful to hear you as well.

Thanks in advance )

ps. I've seen some people complaining here about BurstNet, but I think they just a little bit misunderstood what 'unmanaged vps' means.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 07:44 PM
Poooooonnyyy :*

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketing_plus View Post
Hi all!

I'm totally disappointed with Virpus finally and their iotimes and disk latency gone high too high lately, so it is time to move to other host. Also I see no signs that they will improve in a nearest future.

So. I'm shopping for unmanaged VPS with ~1Gb ram, burstable to 1.5-2gb, about 50Gb HDD, control panel is not required, low io times. My site generates about 1.5-2Gb daily, but sometimes it requires heavy db/apache/php work for processing, so CPU and io are essential. 64 bit is a plus, as mysql works about 5-7% faster on 64bit. Ubuntu preferred, but CentOS will work as well, low rtt to EU is a big plus.

Right now I found following providers -
Franktech.ca - but it is unfortunately out of stock now,
BurstNet
QuickWeb

So the questions are:
2. do you have any bad experiences with any of above providers?
3. also if you want to suggest some other host - I would ge grateful to hear you as well.

Thanks in advance )

ps. I've seen some people complaining here about BurstNet, but I think they just a little bit misunderstood what 'unmanaged vps' means.
Hopefully this doesn't break any rules but since we're named here I'll add a comment If you're interested in our offering, the Frantech brand isn't getting any stock anytime soon. Our BuyVM brand will have more stock this coming month and if you bundle that with our offloaded DB services you'd be able to run pretty good!

Quickweb does a great job as well. Roel has been a nice guy to chat to at times and his brand has a fantastic name for itself.

Francisco

- 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
I'm totally disappointed with Virpus finally and their iotimes and disk latency gone high too high lately
If you bought Virpus after my review here:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1018319

I have to say I told you so. After they lost a bunch of customers from that "security incident" their machines were "magically" faster, and anyone who complained before was a demanding phony...

I tried a Burst.net vm in LA and it was quite decent except for the sometimes nightly disconnects and extremely weird routing that routes google.com through scranton. If they have that fixed, I would also recommend that. Maybe someone here can comment on their scranton VM.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Web Hosting Master

To answer your two questions above.

1. I think your price range is more then reasonable.
2. Your best bet is to do searches here on WHT for reviews about those providers. I would also contact the host with general questions to see how long it takes for feedback and rate their overall response.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 AM

I also just switched from Virpus - need to cancel my account there actually. Downtime has been....better? lately, but I still don't fully trust it to run production sites. My new VPSs are with Hudson Valley Host. They have a coupon code on the forum for 50%, and their machines have been very fast in my experience so far.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:11 AM
Web Hosting Master

I think that you need to contact providers you posted above. Ask them about testing.
Then doing the search for business names of them you will be able find out some of their reviews listed there.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:40 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
That's probably correct. The majority of the complaints about BurstNET aren't about outages or downtime, it's mostly user error and BurstNET going "Uhhh, we're unmanaged".

We keep a pair of spare DNS and SSH servers with them in case Softlayer goes down. Even though we're on one of their older Core2Duo nodes (Or was it a Core2Quad?), the uptime has actually been pretty damn good.

I'm seeing this --
Quote:
11:38:01 up 126 days
I still wouldn't necessarily put anything "production" with them, but that's more personal decisions over anything else (That and I'm a Softlayer Fanboy). I'd definitely recommend them for something that's not critical.

On another note, Where do you intend on placing your VPS geographically?

Simply put: Server admin, programmer, concert lighting dude.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:41 AM
We Love XenŽ Hypervisor

Quote:
So. I'm shopping for unmanaged VPS with ~1Gb ram, burstable to 1.5-2gb, about 50Gb HDD, control panel is not required, low io times.

So the questions are:
$30 is reasonable if you select OpenVZ based VPS. However, if you looking for some reliable, I'd suggest you to move to Xen based VPS but definitely the price will be slightly higher. Depends on you want file based VPS or resources dedicated VPS. You have to balance up between spec with your budget. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Web Hosting Master

Both your choices are solid for your budget, I've used Quickweb and can highly recommend them (BuyVM is on my list to try just haven't gotten around to it but their rep is pretty good). I would also consider ramhost.us (contact them sometimes stock comes in that is not advertised), very very solid and I had the account for over a year.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 AM

I am on my 3rd month with liteserver.nl they've very low latencies.
Their support is awesome and all VPS:es runs on Xen HVM.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInNe View Post
I also just switched from Virpus - need to cancel my account there actually. Downtime has been....better? lately, but I still don't fully trust it to run production sites. My new VPSs are with Hudson Valley Host. They have a coupon code on the forum for 50%, and their machines have been very fast in my experience so far.
Well, I'm looking for hosts with long proven track -- even a little bit pricy, but more stable

Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
I still wouldn't necessarily put anything "production" with them, but that's more personal decisions over anything else (That and I'm a Softlayer Fanboy). I'd definitely recommend them for something that's not critical.

On another note, Where do you intend on placing your VPS geographically?
Softlayer is out of my budget yet

About server location - I would prefer to have EU based host, as I get about 60% of traffic from EU/North Africa - so that's why I mentioned QuickWeb -- they have germany based DC.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Junior Guru

Look at NL or DE locations. Maybe consider Hetzner (?)

Old 04-01-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithuania View Post
Look at NL or DE locations. Maybe consider Hetzner (?)
Ahh, they finally got VPS services. I've been working with them, they have pretty good connectivity there. But they had only dedicated hosts about 6 months ago - so that's why I've not checked them.

Thanks for advice.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You should try Linode... zero downtime, zero problems in more than two years.
You won't find better.