How do i create a temp url

I want to develop the clients website on my server before it is transfered... I have the client's account set up with a domain but it is still pointing to the other server...

How do I go about working on the site without having the domain transfered.

thanks guys

oh this is all being done in WHM and cpanel

Do you have to use the actual domain name?

If no, you can:
    • Setup the site on an extra static IP address
    • Create a subdomain on a domain that you own and use it as the temp domain
    • Create a subdomain on the client's domain and use it as aforementioned
    If yes,
    • Open your /etc/hosts (sonline on how to do this for Windows), and add the domain and IP address of the test server. Typing the domain will bring you to your test server instead of the production one.
    Akliz, Inc.
    www.akliz.net | 617-475-3266

I was actually informed in a pm that the:

server ip /~cpanelusername got me to what I needed

I think incubus is asking for a test server.
    Just follow what lchan said in this part
    Open your /etc/hosts (sonline on how to do this for Windows), and add the domain and IP address of the test server. Typing the domain will bring you to your test server instead of the production one.
    It will work fine. Make sure you do not have absolute path for links, make them relative.
    HostGuts.com Professional Web Hosting Services
    Shared, Managed Wordpress Hosting, Semi Dedicated Hosting
    LiteSpeed + CloudLinux + RAID Storage + R1Soft Secured

Ichan and HostGuts, Thanks for your replies but can you elaborate on what I should do? I tried to find the "hosts" directory located in the etc under my reseller domain but I couldn't find it. I found the etc but not the hosts.

I think you guys have an understanding of what I want to be able to do right now but I also can't even connect ftp wise because the location is obviously still trying to go to the working domain. I tried adding the server address but nothing really worked. (I just don't know what I am doing)
    If you could clarify more on the steps it would help me out, thanks

By /etc/hosts, I mean the /etc/hosts on your local computer; not on the server. (For Windows, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_%28file%29) Be sure to keep what's already in the file. By adding the domain and IP, you'll bypass the public DNS and resolve straight to the test server. However, you'll need to remove them if you want to go to the real site.

Did ip/~cpanelusername work?
    Akliz, Inc.
    www.akliz.net | 617-475-3266

Ok, I'll check that out, from my understanding then that will just allow me to type in domain.com and instead of going to the working domain the DNS points to I will get re routed to the server.

The ip/~cpanelusername worked but there seemed to be an issue with links not recognizing the location of files... which is strange. I used joomla for this client and the front end didn't work while the back end was just fine. So I am not sure if this is an issue with joomla itself or server location issue

If you are trying to access by FTP, then you would simply use the IP address.

Yes the links will sometimes be messed up when you do this. In your Joomla general site settings you must tell the site that it is located as another name.

I am not sure where to fix this in Joomla, but when attempting to do this same temp url in Wordpress, you must go into the general settings in Wordpress and temporarily set it us as http://ip address/~cpanelusername, and not example(dot)com, This will then fix your internal links issue.

When the site goes live and the DNS is pointed to your servers, then I simply revert the Wordpress general settings from ip address/~cpanelusername back to example.com.
    Affordable Business Web Hosting Plans & Services Since 2005
    LiteSpeed Servers | cPanel | RVSite Builder | Fantastico Deluxe | Softaculous
    BlackLogic Hosting Tampa, Florida USA

alright thanks Ill try that.. makes sense, I just used the auto install which told me it was installing on the domain name... mm might have to do a manual install then

Quote Originally Posted by incubus898 View Post
    alright thanks Ill try that.. makes sense, I just used the auto install which told me it was installing on the domain name... mm might have to do a manual install then
    Yes, if you use a script to install, it will setup Joomla with the default domain name. I suppose that Joomla install Cpanel script would work exactly like Wordpress.

I recently use fantastico to install WP for a temporary URL just like this and found it setup with default domain? When typing in the ip address, I saw my homepage with missing CSS and links.

To fix this, I went into the site via FTP, and edited a php file to tell the installation that it's name was the temporary URL. The the entire site was working under the temp URL. If I had not edited this file, I would not have been able to access my admin page as the site was linking to the true domain name of the old "live site".

You should google how to setup Joomla to work as a temp URL? I am sure all you have to do is make a small edit in a configuration file which will tell Joomla that it is the temporary site name.

this is actually exactly what is happening.. except I can get to the admin page.. so I bet your right and just editing the config file will fix everything and allow the site to access the css and links correctly

thanks for your help

Np, you just have to find the correct file to edit. Can't help you there.