motherboard issues

Hey guys,

I've currently been having problems with my computer for the past few weeks. My computer will randomly freeze, no BSOD just locks up. I think I've narrowed it down to being a motherboard issue but thought I would get some more opinions on what else I could do to troubleshoot it. The freezes will happen a few seconds after logging in or hours/even days after running smoothly. I think it has to do with my onboard soundcard being messed up. As of late I hear an occassional pop noise from the computer every few hours, not repetitive just a single pop.

When I disable the onboard soundcard through the BIOS the computer runs fine and I use my USB Soundcard and have zero issues.

I recently bought a ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 PCI soundcard and came across the same issues. However, it was more definitive on the freezes, once anything uses sound it would freeze. 9/10 times on trying to install the drivers for the soundcard it would freeze when I was on the last step on picking where the front panel sound came from (choices were HD Audio or AC'97 (i think)). I tried both and same issue.

I've ran memtest on the RAM for quite a few hours with zero errors, tried different PSU's, different GFX Card, reseating everything, formatting HDD (do not have a second HDD to test), dusted out computer.

I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new mobo but that's what it's looking like to me.

Thanks in advance.

motherboard: MSI 770 G45
    cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
    gfx: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    4GB RAM
    500GB HDD Caviar Blue

could be the motherboard or your computer is underpowered. check your PSU and watts on it. you might have a smaller power supply unit (PSU) than what you need. unplug all USB devices and peripherals. try that out.

If the issue continued following a format, likely hardware related. Do you have another computer you could take all the parts from this one, put it in the other one to see if the issue persists?

Is there an issue with just using the USB soundcard if that seems to be working without any lock ups, preventing the need to buy a new mobo?
    ElicitServers - Canadian hosting dedicated customer satisfaction! Shared/Reseller/VPS/Dedi/Colo
    100% redundant, 100% owned/maintained, GigE connectivity
    Offsite backups, 24/7 support (1-877-533-8993), 30-day money back | cPanel hosting

Quote Originally Posted by elicitservers View Post
    If the issue continued following a format, likely hardware related. Do you have another computer you could take all the parts from this one, put it in the other one to see if the issue persists?

Is there an issue with just using the USB soundcard if that seems to be working without any lock ups, preventing the need to buy a new mobo?
    I don't have another computer to test it out . The only reason I don't want to just keep using the USB soundcard is because I have a 7.1 speaker system and the random popping noise from computer I think may be a short (can't tell) and I don't want it damaging the other parts in the computer.

If it's just the speakers that make the usb card not good enough maybe you could check out this kind of usb sound

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/229059...edium=products

That one's just an example, there's plenty of other 7.1 usb audio devices to choose from

not looking for a soundcard replacement, just want to know what the problem is. thanks though.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerFu View Post
    could be the motherboard or your computer is underpowered. check your PSU and watts on it.
    This
    Of course, it could be software related as well, but good money is on this. Make sure you've got enough ventilation in there as well.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

normal cpu/gpu temperatures. 600W PSU's, so I dont' think it can be that. Computer ran perfectly fine for months prior to the issues.

The reason I made that suggestion mate is that whilst you might not be looking for another soundcard, it could be your only option, especially if you need to be using that 7.1 speaker set

Sometimes a problem can't be resolved and the only avenue left to you is trying alternatives, and a soundcard replacement is always gonna be cheaper and easier than a board replacement (unless you're talking something like x-fi)

Maybe your RAM have some dust on it. Once check if processor have sufficient coolant on it.

maybe it isn't properly grounded.

rarely it can be the case. try switching to a different case, check your ground, and/or re-ground. see what happens.

If you think a case is causing problems it's never a bad idea to 'dry-fire' it, meaning take the board out of the case, plug in a power supply, power switch, keyboard mouse & connect to a monitor (has to be a cpu and ram in it obviously)

If it runs ok out of the case but doesn't in the case there's a good chance there's something like excess solder on the back of the board shorting against the case

We tend to dry-fire up the board before every machine build
    Note to self: Insert something cool and witty here once I find some cool & wit