* VPS deleted accidentally

Hello,

I have lost my VPS, it has been deleted due to OS reinstall as VPS hosting provider said due to exploit or vps misconfiguration which caused it to crash then the hacker forced it to reinstall the OS "CentOS"

My vps was on Openvz virtualization and solusvm vps control panel with cpanel/WHM vps optimized, the file system type was reiserfs...

My question is this possible to happen if the hacker get access to one of my website "vbulletin forum" he can force the container to reinstall!! you may say that someone have access to solusvm or cpanel or ssh root access, I'm sure that no one have as I set the solusvm to send notification emails upon login and the same for WHM and the SSH port is not the default port "22"....

I know its my fault because I have no backups

Also, if the hosting provider upgraded my account and gave me new plan... this will terminate my vps or they can increase my vps space,ram cpu etc without losing my data? or upgrade must be preceded by backup and transfer like I'm registering a new account with them?

Finally, is it possible to recover deleted cpanel accounts,data on cpanel by any recovery software from an old VPS? or from the other vps where it hacked?

Hi!

Is your old VPS still active? Does it use the same control panel as the current that you have?

Backups are a must. Even though a hosting provider makes backups, you must have your own local copy in case something like this happens.

I don't think if they accessed vBulletin they can reinstall your OS, but if they accessed SolusVM somehow than they can definitely do what ever they want, re-install it, delete your backups etc.

Also, I think solus has the option to send you emails if someone logs in.

I hope this helps, and hopefully you can get your data from your OLD vps.

- Daniel

Thanks for your reply mate, unfortunately I have deleted all accounts on old WHM, this what I do every time after I change and transfer to new host provider, I wait for 72 hours till I check the new server speed, resources etc.. then I terminate cpanel accounts on the old WHM.

Is it possible to recover cpanel accounts or mysql databases on the HD level?

Do you know where phpmyadmin store mysql databases files on the vps?

Or can I use any desktop/client software via SSH to scan for deleted files and recover it via internet connection to my PC? file system type is reiserfs as mentioned before.

Awaiting your reply....
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Hi!

Is your old VPS still active? Does it use the same control panel as the current that you have?

Backups are a must. Even though a hosting provider makes backups, you must have your own local copy in case something like this happens.

I don't think if they accessed vBulletin they can reinstall your OS, but if they accessed SolusVM somehow than they can definitely do what ever they want, re-install it, delete your backups etc.

Also, I think solus has the option to send you emails if someone logs in.

I hope this helps, and hopefully you can get your data from your OLD vps.

- Daniel

Hi,
    If you used CPanel/WHM or deleted files via SSH, the files are unrecoverable.

You are not be able to scan for files because it is already gone, mysql files aswell if the whole account is terminated.

Hope this helps.

have u tried contacting ur previous host? May be they have an older backup (before u had deleted from whm)

The only way to recover the data is by having someone examine the hard drive. This still does not guarantee that your data will be recovered and the changes of your host doing this is slim.

Not calling your host a liar... but to me it sounded a awful lot like they accidentally deleted your VPS and try to hide it.

Sorry to hear what happened... next time start to have backup plans in place first before going production.

They already refused that

Quote Originally Posted by PogiWeb View Post
    The only way to recover the data is by having someone examine the hard drive. This still does not guarantee that your data will be recovered and the changes of your host doing this is slim.

Unhappy

Yes, I'm very sure that this was made intentionally... the admin said in his 1st reply that my vps was causing high load that morning, so he forced vps termination and upgraded my vps plan to a higher privileges without even sending me a warning message before its termination! he depended on I already have backup, no matter if it will be old for 3 days earlier which was on the old server, but the fact files and databases was exceeding 9 GB and my internet connection won't allow me to download this volume/ month due to quota limit...

Anyway I've learned at least to save the database backup every day...

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by UnixCabin View Post
    Not calling your host a liar... but to me it sounded a awful lot like they accidentally deleted your VPS and try to hide it.

Sorry to hear what happened... next time start to have backup plans in place first before going production.
    Last edited by EgyKit; 04-12-2011 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EgyKit View Post
    Yes, I'm very sure that this was made intentionally... the admin said in his 1st reply that my vps was causing high load that morning, so he forced vps termination and upgraded my vps plan to a higher privileges without even sending me a warning message before its termination! he depended on I already have backup, no matter if it will be old for 3 days earlier which was on the old server, but the fact files and databases was exceeding 9 GB and my internet connection won't allow me to download this volume/ month due to quota limit...

Regards.
    how you get back

Well I get back with a afresh start with An Arabic forum dedicated for Adsense revenue sharing....

http://www.egykit.com/forum.php

Quote Originally Posted by niravmehta2009 View Post
    how you get back
    Last edited by EgyKit; 04-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Yes, I'm very sure that this was made intentionally... the admin said in his 1st reply that my vps was causing high load that morning, so he forced vps termination and upgraded my vps plan to a higher privileges without even sending me a warning message before its termination!
    Hopefully your new forum is with a new host as well..

Sure mate, I won't ever did it again, I will choose trusted host provider that have a good experience and being in business for at least ten years "vps,dedicated", whatever the cost for any plan, shared,vps or a dedicated server....

Will upgrade to a vps when I reach better alexa ranking, say 25k~20k... a dedicated server when alexa reach ~6k...

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
    Hopefully your new forum is with a new host as well..

Sure mate, I won't ever did it again, I will choose trusted host provider that have a good experience and being in business for at least ten years "vps,dedicated", whatever the cost for any plan, shared,vps or a dedicated server....

Will upgrade to a vps when I reach better alexa ranking, say 25k~20k... a dedicated server when alexa reach ~6k...

Regards.
    so u have downgraded to a shared hosting plan against vps ?

Yes, as I can't afford vps cost right now... my earning has dropped dramatically so I've learned to do backup on daily basis for databases...

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by ransome View Post
    so u have downgraded to a shared hosting plan against vps ?

I would of least went to a reseller then going all the way back down to shared hosting.
    FusionNET Solutions
    OpenVZ & XEN VPS available in US & UK.
    IRC & Adult Allowed, RDNS Control, 24/7 Helpdesk, VPN Ready, Native IPv6 Ready!

Why? I've lost all Google index for all my sites! why I cost myself? because all archived contents will be deleted from Google cache after database lost.... so its just like I'm starting a new forum from the beginning.. Am I right?

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by FusionNET View Post
    I would of least went to a reseller then going all the way back down to shared hosting.

Regards.
    Assume what you said is true... it's good that you moved away from this host. No host 'should upgrade' you without your consent first. No host 'should assume' you have backups without confirming it first.

Sorry to hear about the losses. Hope all works well.
    SysAdmin.xyz
    Having severs with customer data on it without proper monitoring is like having one night stand without using protections - eventually, there will be an 'oh s**t!' moment.

Yes, you are right he is just a fool, he should informed me before this act..

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by quad3datwork View Post
    Assume what you said is true... it's good that you moved away from this host. No host 'should upgrade' you without your consent first. No host 'should assume' you have backups without confirming it first.

Sorry to hear about the losses. Hope all works well.