Hyper-V networking problems

We have a server running Hyper-V and about 20 VPS on it. All of sudden last night most of the VPS can not connect. If I log into each VPS the internet connection seems to be hit or miss. It will work for a bit then not work any longer.

There has not been a problem for months and now this happens although we have not installed or changed any settings. The DC seems to think its an internal server problem with the IPs and MAC Addresses.

Anyone well versed in Hyper-V or Windows Virtualization? Please let me know how much to fix this.

Thanks!

Can we know what datacenter are you using ? I heard the same in some datacenters like OVH and Hetzner that have MAC restricted networks.

Other than that you can try updating your windows to install latest patches (especially SP1) and see if your issue resolved.

I will dig into this issue and will let you know about the latest Hyper-V hotfixes that I can find related to internal networking problems.

- Aria

Its at FDC DC. It was working fine for the last month or 2 - think that could still be a factor?

Have you recently updated your windows ? did you install SP1 ? is it windows 2008 R2 or windows 2008 x64 sp2 ?

Are you using websitepanel to auto provision your VMs or do you do it manually ?

Have you set any sort of VLAN on your Hyper-V VMs ?

Above questions can help us find the cause of the problem easier, if we may

- Aria

I am currently running 2008 R2 - I'm downloading SP1 now.

Yes using websitepanel to create the VMs.

There is a virtual adapter used for the VMs.

The server came with 5 IPs and an additon /27 block. The /27block IPs are the only ones having problems - the 5 on a different subnet are working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by skatehall35 View Post
    I am currently running 2008 R2 - I'm downloading SP1 now.

Yes using websitepanel to create the VMs.

There is a virtual adapter used for the VMs.

The server came with 5 IPs and an additon /27 block. The /27block IPs are the only ones having problems - the 5 on a different subnet are working fine.
    Did websitepanel provision the gateway properly for that additional subnet? Sounds like a gateway issue to me.
    (subnetmask problem also a possibility...)

SP1 install downloaded but I got an error installing: Code 80246007 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

Yeah according to the DC the subnet and gateway is ok. They say its something internal. I'm not sure what would have changed though...

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    Did websitepanel provision the gateway properly for that additional subnet? Sounds like a gateway issue to me.
    I second that, you have to check the gateway for that subnet and primary/secondary DNS settings of each VM should it be set to FDC's DNS servers.

If the above did not work, you can try contacting FDC and ask them for a /29 for a month (I don't think it costs much, it might be for a month only if you don't need additional IPs) and set them on some VMs that currently experience issues and leave them for a while to see if you experience the same issue afterwards.

Try to set the new IPs manually not through websitepanel, though.

- Aria

Aria - check PM please.