2 6.06%
  • I Reached The Invisible Limit And It Was Handled Well

1 3.03%
  • When I Reached The Invisible Limit It Was Handled Poorly

6 18.18%
  • I Never Sign Up For Unlimited

18 54.55%

Ever Been Screwed By Unlimited Hosting?

I'm just trying to determine exactly how common it is for someone to get into a problematic situation using an unlimited web host.

The end goals for me is to get horror stories, preferably with pictures, so I can help educate the public on our site!

All stories must be truly what happened to you! How did your host deal with you using too much 'unlimited' bandwidth or storage?
    Last edited by CD Burnt; 03-30-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: typo fix

Great pole

The reason why offering "unlimited" hosting works for providers is because the majority of websites will never come close to using enough resources to where the account is suspended by the host. It's probably a big shock for users whose sites become quite popular and are suspended as a result

Jack
    Zomex ~ Templates & services for web hosting resellers since 2009!
    #1 Responsive whmcs templates | WHMCS | Wordpress | HTML5 | Settings area
    █ Hire us for responsive whmcs integration - enhance your website using the new "Six" template!

Please add an option to that list - "I never fall for unlimited because i know it is not real"

I don't think I can edit my poll options. It would be good to add a third option 'I Never Sign Up For Unlimited' if a moderator can do this for me. For now just pick the closest one - obviously you're (more than) somewhat concerned. Do you personally know someone affected by it, or just from what you've read around?

That's the main point of this poll is hopefully to find the real impact, and also I need horror stories with screenshots if they can be found. Compiling those together is the best way to educate the public I think.
    Last edited by azoundria; 03-30-2011 at 10:04 AM.

No, i have never been personally bitten by this, but that is probably because i work for an ISP so i never had to pay for hosting

Quote Originally Posted by zomex View Post
    Great pole

The reason why offering "unlimited" hosting works for providers is because the majority of websites will never come close to using enough resources to where the account is suspended by the host. It's probably a big shock for users whose sites become quite popular and are suspended as a result

Jack
    The same happened with one of my sites that was hosted with BlueHost some years ago. Instead of them just telling me to upgrade plan/service they kept making things up like "server got DDoSed" or "some other user was causing high load". They should have just told me I needed to put the site on a VPS or something. I guess they were just telling me anything to keep $6.95 a month or however much it was at the time.

Though I was surprised how long I was able to host my site with them until it started using too much bandwidth, etc. So +1 to them for that. They should just tell you when you need to upgrade rather than mess you about is all.

Edit: so my vote goes to "When I Reached The Invisible Limit It Was Handled Poorly".

The only one I signed up for was hostgator and they handed the invisible limit well. However that limit is why I no longer have them.

Never used an Unlimited provider. I have set limits I won't reach, a host I can almost abuse and get away with, I see no point in touching "Unlimited" anytime soon, or far, or ever.

Give me some set limits, leave me the hell alone once I'm there, and I won't ever be a problem. You will barely notice I'm on the network at all!
    WHT is now used as the Universal Hosting Helpdesk.

There will be always people for unlimited no matter they know there is no such thing. It's a process every new user has to live at least once when doing business in the internet.

* Note: I still know people who believe in unlimited "as stars in the sky" :p
    StableHost.com - Home to over 23,000 websites.
    Contact us: 866.945.6952
    Offering: 24/7/365 Support, Web Builder and Softaculous.
    Read over 100+ reviews about us at RateLobby!

MrNerd, that was hilarious.

Never personally been bit by unlimited plans. I think there is two types of customers. Once that should order the unlimited plans who know nothing about hosting. Then the ones who are familiar with hosting and we should not cheap out on an unlimited plan because we know the real story. It's just a marketing gimmick which works on 90% of the people out there.
    Neil Ghuman
    IT Manager for Motorcycle Market, a Motorcycle Accessories company
    IT Manager for Get A Host and Get A Backup
    Looking to purchase established hosting companies for $XXX to $XX,XXX

I never fell for the unlimited hosting.

The reason I fell for it was the my site uses a lot of space and little bandwidth so needed at least 30gb of space at low cost do to not having much money.

Although recently my money issue has been solved so I could go to vps but not dedicated.

Who actialy can provide truly unlimeted space, Bandwidth maybe but even that has got a fair use policy even on most datacentres. if one user is to pay 5 for unlimeted hosting and keeps filling it 5 x 12 = 60 so the cost of a 1TB HDD spread over the entire host cost little but the server would actialy get full adventualy.
    Cheap and Reliable Reseller And VPS Services!
    Co-Location | VPS | WHM Resellers | Cpanel Accounts | ORDER

You are correct I think most of the companies that advertise unlimited expect customers to use very little of the space. Some also have inode limites so you would not be able to have that many files using up a lot of space any way unless you have a bunch of really large files.

The term "the invisible limit" is really catchy which is why (if I were a potential customer) I would never go for it.

I've heard it being compared to all you can eat. Though personally, my stomach is of finite size and even the world record holder for food consumption has a finite limit. I still don't think the all-you-can-eat places will be happy to serve him, but still they have a limited finite loss. With web hosting, companies have to make and hide these limits.

I don't think unlimited hosting screws people. People are just unrealistic with their expectations. Yes they get unlimited disk space and bandwith. No they can not expect to receive unlimited everything else or disrupt a shared environment.

I don't think unlimited hosting is false advertising. First off, these very large corporations wouldn't legally get away with it. Second, if you do your homework, everything you ever want to know about about the hosting service can be obtained.

Believe it or not, many people are happy with these large providers and the services work fine for them.

I don't worry about it. I know I'm paying $5 p/m to my host so for that price it's reasonable to use max 2GB space & max 10GB bandwidth despite them saying I can use 10x or 100x more or whatever. All I know and expect is good uptime, servers & reviews on here so am seriously happy (for over 2yrs)
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

But someone explain why so many people ask for it when they are buying a service for example a master reseller, It's because after so many account have been created the host runs our of money because they are selling unlimeted space supose to 1GB for 5.00 for reliablity there selling unlimeted cheap to rake in the customers and then realise thy canot afford to stay open. So this brings me to my conclution UNLIMETED is BULL!!!!
    Cheap and Reliable Reseller And VPS Services!
    Co-Location | VPS | WHM Resellers | Cpanel Accounts | ORDER

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
    I don't think unlimited hosting is false advertising. First off, these very large corporations wouldn't legally get away with it. Second, if you do your homework, everything you ever want to know about about the hosting service can be obtained.

Believe it or not, many people are happy with these large providers and the services work fine for them.
    Good points, especially if you are talking about the legal definition of "false advertising". Most of the host's claims can be considered "puffery", and perfectly legal.

The problem is that when the rare customer runs up against a limit, such as "inodes" or a percentage of non-displayed files versus displayed files, they feel they have been misled. They lose respect for their host. The person who could be their best customer becomes their detractor. In any other business, the customer that needs to grow and buy more is respected and cultured, and the company tries to do everything they can to please them. In the overselling model, that customer is suddenly a cost, and must be encouraged to move on.

They move to another supplier, but probably still rate the potential suppliers by how much they get for their dollar. They will chose a host that promises too much for too little. It is encouraging to see people asking about reputations in here, and seeking out more information than just "bang for the buck".

1st off registering a domain is easier & easier as time goes on - it ain't difficult even for novices!
    2nd buyig hosting is a doddle.
    3rd hosts just advertise the basics eg: space, bandwidth, services ... etc nowt to do with 'inodes' or 'percentage of non-displayed files V displayed files' - joe bloggs doesn't care about that - too technical to consider lol

The word 'unlimited' for hosts is no worse that eg: ISPs & mobile (cellular) phone networks doing it under AUP/TOS.
    Providers know generally potential customers ain't gonna read all that - again it's too technical & or 'boring'.

You also get a fair share of people taking the deliberate 'mickey' & a fair share of hosting providers on these 'unlimited' reseller accounts & are fly-by-night 'kiddies' after pocket money & or adults doing it for a 'joke' for something to do in their lifes! They don't care - simple.

100s more contributing factors like non-patched & or insecure scripts people run & can't be bothered to patch & or update ... maybe: too much hassle & or don't care - it was only a project to keep em busy while bored ... seemed like a good idea but, now trouble ignore it ...

Because it's all available to the masses - you'll always have these kind of responses & posts. Fact of life
    ┣▇▇▇═─√v^√v^√♥
    - Proudly Hosted By: NetworkPanda.

I just have two words to reply
    MANY TIMES
    And I would never go with Unlimited hosting "terms" again except HostGator, I don't know why but they just Rock and Roll!!

I have made the mistake of using unlimited hosting, and it wasn't that I ran into any invisible limits. What made me leave was the instability of the servers and the ignorance of the people behind them.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net