Backups on VPS -- educate me please

Don't ask me how or why, but I noticed that an entire directory on my server is missing today. Was just working on the site yesterday so this just happened. Totally weird.

I contacted my host and asked them if I could have one of their latest backups. Anything within the last week. No biggie. No, I didn't have a recent backup, and this isn't the end of the world, but a pain.

I'm told that since it's a VPS they have complete backups but they can only be used to do a full server restore. And they're not in downloadable format or any way that I can access them to grab what I need. But they have offered to *attempt* to restore the folder from the backup they have for a fee.

I admit I'm not server expert...but is this normal? Is there no way for me to get this folder back? They have a complete backup but I can only get it if I wipe out everything from a backup from a few days ago? I suppose a full server restore is my only option to get that directory back.

The bigger question is...where did that directory go?

Who knows where the directory went, but if they would allow you to grab of copy of the backup you can simply untar it and you will find your entire VPS filesystem in the folder it creates then simply move the lost folder over. This isn't rocket science, but if they are going to charge you a fee, you could certainly do this yourself just as easy. If they then wish to charge a fee to even provide you the backup, might be worth it to you, might not,your call.
    Hostigation.com - High Resource Hosting
    WHM/cPanel Servers for Hosting and Dedicated Needs
    SolusVM VPS Hosting - Big Features, Small Prices
    Like us on Facebook or follow @hostigation on Twitter

Usually the backups kept by vps providers are full fs backups that have to be restored to a running vps, then they can pull the data out.

You should probably look at setting up a scheduled rsync or rdiff-backup.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Thanks Sam Barrow. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

I'll look into scheduling as you suggest. Know I need to do it, just haven't

It's probably a case of incompetence or greed on their part. If this is OpenVZ, they are doing vzdump most likely which can easily be untar'd and then just grab what you need. I can't fault you at all about your lack of backups when you admit it off the top, but seeing how your provider is now treating you when you could use a little help, I'd be looking for a new provider. Actually I'd pay their fee then move and tell them I moved because of the fee.

That's very helpful mitgib. I just want to know if I'm off base. I know I didn't have a backup. Not blaming them there. But they insist I can't have the file. Seemed strange to me.

I just switched to this host about 2 months ago. Besides the fact that a directory should not be missing, this whole thing doesn't thrill me.

They last did a full backup yesterday...is it possible that when they did this they may have done something that "dropped" that directory? I'm just searching for clues. I've dealt with a lot of hosts and not had directories just go poof. Had sites get hacked, but this doesn't appear to be a hacking.

*sigh*

Code:
    # tar zxf /home/autobk/ovz01/98-vz-2493-1.tgz
    # ls
    aquota.group  bin   dev  home  lib64  mnt  proc  sbin     srv  tmp  var
    aquota.user   boot  etc  lib   media  opt  root  selinux  sys  usr
    # du -h --max-depth=0
    656M    .
    The above is from a vzdump created file, draw your own conclusion. How the directory got dropped to begin with, that is anyone guess, and not worth the brain cells to think about if your confident the container was not compromised.

What's the folder that got deleted? Was it a system folder or something in your home folders?

It wasn't a system folder, it was a subdirectory.