VB version 3 "maintenance pack" email

This just arrived. 2 day warning seems enough, don't you think?

As vBulletin 3.X and vBulletin Blog are now end of life, we will discontinue offering the vBulletin 3 Maintenance Pack March 31st, 2011, if you wish to update existing licenses, you will need to order this immediately. Both products will still be eligible for patches for known Security Vulnerabilities until their usage has become insignificant.
    In all honesty, this looks like a quick money grab to me, and I won't be availing myself of it. I have a few IPB licenses to move to, though I don't like that software much. Still, it's better than paying for a dying product, and I can't stand Xenforo, so it's IPB or open source.
    Will you take them up on it?
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Not a hope!

The whole Jelsoft saga has been something out of the Gerald Ratner school of Business Management!

Take an industry leading flagship product and run it into the ground through pure greed.

IPB did a major corporate U turn about 6 or 7 years ago....but nothing on the scale of what vB did. And in IPB's defence, the software did improve considerably.....while in vB's case it just fell apart!

RIP vBulletin 3.
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Limited
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin / XenForo Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

I also recieved this email. Upon clicking the order link just to see howmuch they wanted to get from me for the maintanence pack, I couldnt find it there. Also, never heard of it before in my visits to the site/customer portal to redownload vb3 over the past year..

XenForo is growing on me from an enduser point of view. I have no experience with the backend. A couple sites I visit regularly recently changed over to it.

IPB, im still playing with on an internal environment here and there. No verdict yet.

I'll more than likely continue to use my trusty vb3.8.x for the forseeable future. I hate what has happened to this once AMAZING piece of software.

meh...

vBulletin 4 is running on plenty of sites, even larger ones. I have a few vb3 licenses that I may just upgrade to vb4.

Also..yes I have vb4 licenses also lol

noone asks me to pay anything when i update my phpbb. and even when any 2.x site i have is surpassed by major versions, i still can get support ..

i wonder why ...

comparing phpBB to something like vB, or IPB is apples and oranges. They are not comparable on any level other than the most basic ones that being...well their both forum software. The comparison ends there.

I jumped ship from VB just after the release of v4 - though I do still like the software.

IPB is excellent and I like the fact it can be hosted by IPB without having to pay upfront for a full licence - although the hosted version definately costs more in the long run, its definately worth it for the updates and support.

I enjoy using IPB more than VB - it seems less complicated and the interface is lovely to work with.
    Last edited by SercoNetworks; 03-29-2011 at 09:25 PM.

IPB is way better than VB4!!

Quote Originally Posted by HostAtom
    vBulletin 4 is running on plenty of sites, even larger ones. I have a few vb3 licenses that I may just upgrade to vb4.
    VB4 is colourless garbage (Left @ default which most do (Its slower in loading,THE ICONS LOOK LIKE CRAP,ETC.....)) ... ANY SITE THAT PUTS THIS CRAP ON THIER SITE I DO NOT VISIT ANYMORE!!!!!

If they dont care about keeping quality,I DONT CARE ABOUT THEM!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hungry4knowhow View Post
    comparing phpBB to something like vB, or IPB is apples and oranges. They are not comparable on any level other than the most basic ones that being...well their both forum software. The comparison ends there.
    the deal is, the people who had built high-traffic forums on phpbb2 are not having to pay any license fees or going through hurdles of existence of support while upgrading to phpbb3 +.

that's what im saying. back at the time, phpbb2 was more sloppy than vb products. but, look where we are now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    IPB is way better than VB4!!

VB4 is colourless garbage (Left @ default which most do (Its slower in loading,THE ICONS LOOK LIKE CRAP,ETC.....)) ... ANY SITE THAT PUTS THIS CRAP ON THIER SITE I DO NOT VISIT ANYMORE!!!!!

If they dont care about keeping quality,I DONT CARE ABOUT THEM!!
    vb4 is good if u can afford good with skin/theme experts. I have seen some fabulous looking forums on vb4 but it def. needs extra bucks spending.

I am using vb 3.8 series yet and its disappointing to see 3.8 has its doom day. I have vb4 license, but not yet ready to upgrade though.

vb4 has improved a lot. It started from worst, then worse, bad and currently its ok. Will be keenly looking at the new changes happening with the product

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    This just arrived. 2 day warning seems enough, don't you think?
    Have you looked at the latest phpBB? It's good and isn't a huge departure from what people are used to with vB3 (in my opinion).
    @jmedwards
    - find me on Twitter!
    Kayako help desk software - we help our customers help their customers

Running vb3 on my forum now as well.

I bought vb4 license before they realized vb4, it was on special as i remember? so pricing wasn't so bad.

I would never change the software, to be honest.
    Using vb for years, i must say i am happy with it and i love it.

Regards

...and I can't stand Xenforo...
    Hi Bear,

I've been considering Xenforo but am still researching. I'm particularly curious to know why you don't like it.

Thanks for your help!
    InterNich LLC
    Founder

Bringing you PicResize.com (More than 95 million pictures resized since 2005)

This thread took me back to the mid 1990s, ol' Visual Basic 3... Got excited only to find out I've been misled.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

In all honesty, this looks like a quick money grab to me
    This is like the 3rd or 4th one since late last year, so yes, that's all it is just a money grab.
    Quick, get your outdated vb3 forum patched because we put bugs in there and can't be bothered to fix them
    I can't stand Xenforo
    Why the hate? XF is an excellent alternative to vB, and they're actually making an awesome product

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Edwards View Post
    Have you looked at the latest phpBB?
    phpBB is a joke, even phpBB3 (especially phpBB3). They're nowhere near a "professional" solution.
    WHMCS Guru - WHMCS addons, management, support and more.
    WHMCS Notifications Extended - Add slack, hipchat, SMS, pushover to WHMCS !!
    Always looking for Linux, WHMCS, Support Desk work. PM for details

Quote Originally Posted by linux-tech View Post
    Why the hate? XF is an excellent alternative to vB, and they're actually making an awesome product
    I help out on a forum that recently switched to it, and found myself avoiding going there to do any moderating or even reading. I realized that was happening, and tried to figure out why, and it mainly comes down to fluff. There's a ton of it. Threads are big blocks of "stuff" instead of the content being separated from the sig and user info. It's puffy and annoying, in my opinion.
    I did like the threaded PM thingy. Nice idea. The overuse of Ajax everywhere was a bit much, though.

Maybe once it's matured a bit and more skins are available my opinion might change, but I just don't like it as is.

I'm not going to lie, bear, I see some of what you're saying. Ajax is used far too much, but in web 2.0, you want Ajax. There's a number of problems, but if you look at the roots of XF, you see progress, which is a very good thing.

Given that XF is just now 'stable', I would say that they'll have a much better and more developed product in time.

in web 2.0 you want ajax, but time is the time of the mobile platforms now. ranging from smartphones to tablets.

all web pages need to be simplified A LOT.

phpBB is a joke, even phpBB3 (especially phpBB3). They're nowhere near a "professional" solution.
    Early April fools joke, eh?

RIP VB 3.X, maybe someone will create an un-official support site for refugees who don't want to upgrade to the 4.X series
    Kind Regards, -Ashley.S.

Quote Originally Posted by cedricd View Post
    Early April fools joke, eh?
    Hardly.
    PhpBB3 is nothing but garbage that is impossible to navigate from an administrative perspective. it's still spam friendly, and really doesn't hold a candle to even the LOW end of the paid software spectrum (vBulletin).

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley-S View Post
    RIP VB 3.X
    vB 3 has been dead for close to 2 years now. As soon as the controversy for vb 4 started, vb 3 was obsolete.

vB 3 has been dead for close to 2 years now. As soon as the controversy for vb 4 started, vb 3 was obsolete.
    If it has, why do I still know boards using it?
    Kind Regards, -Ashley.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley-S View Post
    If it has, why do I still know boards using it?
    You still see boards using phpBB2, and THAT'S been dead for much, much longer. The reason(s) they're being used? The same reason(s) vB3 is being used
    1. vB3 still has plugins that haven't been updated to vB4
    2. vB3 is stable, while the current release has many known issues
    3. vB3 brings what users want, while vB4 does not
    4. users are more familliar with vB3

The list can go on and on, but vB3 has been dead code wise for years. Oh, sure, they pull stunts like this every few months to get suckers to pony up more cash into a dead product, but it's been dead for very close to 2 years now.

VB3 is much better!

Is Web Hosting Talk upgrading to VB4 then or converting to a different board or staying at VB3. Wouldn't staying at VB3 be a security risk since no security updates will happen?

There will be known security updates.

Quote Originally Posted by HostAtom View Post
    Ah Ok. Re-read the OP's Post Again.

Quote Originally Posted by M Bacon View Post
    Wouldn't staying at VB3 be a security risk since no security updates will happen?
    WHT is on a 'custom' version of vBulletin anyways, so you can bet that those security updates would already be in the code because of iNet's developers

Ajax is used far too much, but in web 2.0, you want Ajax.
    I recall a time when <blink> and <table border="12" was all the rage, too. This may pass some day.

I'm not against new, just against fluff. Someone that prefers Usenet over Facebook, uses IM with smilies turned off and disables "clippit" before doing anything else in Word (Word is complaining on my new PC that it needs that function installed, and to disable it, I need to install it).
    Gimmie simple.

Quote Originally Posted by HostAtom
    There shouldnt be any problems. I AM ON 1 VBB SITE STILL RUNNING VB2.3! (They are wonderful (Speed,looks,etc))

Might be switching over to IPB.

I help out on a forum that recently switched to it, and found myself avoiding going there to do any moderating or even reading. I realized that was happening, and tried to figure out why, and it mainly comes down to fluff. There's a ton of it. Threads are big blocks of "stuff" instead of the content being separated from the sig and user info. It's puffy and annoying, in my opinion.
    I did like the threaded PM thingy. Nice idea. The overuse of Ajax everywhere was a bit much, though.

Maybe once it's matured a bit and more skins are available my opinion might change, but I just don't like it as is.
    xf owner here, you can actually disable the ajax/javascript or whaever on admin ccontrol panel so it will only use php scripts so there wont be any animation or javascript popup.. tried it myself.
    ajax features are just enabled by default, you can easily disable it

I bet it responds better w/o alax correct?