DEPRECATED Function in PHP

Recently one of our customer contacted us that, that he is facing issue in one of his PHP funcation "split()" in his shared hosting account he have with us.

We replied him that this function is deprecated by PHP and no more in use (Ref: http://php.net/manual/en/function.split.php ).

Now the customer demanded that he and other customer should get notification for hosting provided about all this kind of update.

Now our question is: is it fair to update all the customer about each version deprecated function to all customer for all type of languages ?

We do update on major version update in our forum but sending mail for each function will be a issue for some customer.

WHT experts ? your feedback is required.

We only inform our customers when it comes to major PHP updates, not something like this.

I would never in a million years inform customers of each PHP update. that would become a nightmare, and a job on it's own.

They should always look after it themselves, and have said script/website using such old fucs updated so there's no issues.

Yes same thing we explained it to the customer, but customer said a USA based company do this and because you are from India you ignore things.

I was wondering if some or any company give this kind of update, In my 9 year of experience we never came across this kind of question. So i though to put up this query over here and take feedback from other hosting company and if they think we should update customer on every depreciated function ?

No, no one informs a customer for every deprecated function. Just point the customer to this thread and he can ask for opinions if he wants to.

Unrelated, I don't recommend php 5.3 series for shared hosting because a lot of functions have changed or deprecated since 5.2, and these types of problems are going to be a problem until many of the scripts are updated.
    Fraud Record - Stop Fraud Clients, Report Abusive Customers.
    █ Combine your efforts to fight misbehaving clients.

HarzemDesign - Highest quality, well designed and carefully coded hosting designs. Not cheap though.
    █ Large and awesome portfolio, just visit and see!

Quote Originally Posted by itajooba View Post
    Yes same thing we explained it to the customer, but customer said a USA based company do this and because you are from India you ignore things.

I was wondering if some or any company give this kind of update, In my 9 year of experience we never came across this kind of question. So i though to put up this query over here and take feedback from other hosting company and if they think we should update customer on every depreciated function ?
    Whoever the customer was talking about must have way to much times on their hands to do this. this is my own thought though.

But from my end, no you should not be required to inform customers of each depreciated function, I am sure you would rather have that time spent informing them spent elsewhere ?

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by itajooba View Post
    Recently one of our customer contacted us that, that he is facing issue in one of his PHP funcation "split()" in his shared hosting account he have with us.

We replied him that this function is deprecated by PHP and no more in use (Ref: http://php.net/manual/en/function.split.php ).

Now the customer demanded that he and other customer should get notification for hosting provided about all this kind of update.

Now our question is: is it fair to update all the customer about each version deprecated function to all customer for all type of languages ?

We do update on major version update in our forum but sending mail for each function will be a issue for some customer.

WHT experts ? your feedback is required.
    PHP is pretty good about leaving a function usable for few releases and anyone who regularly follows PHP happenings would know that split was gonna go.

He may just be letting off steam. Maybe recommend him too a few blogs or something that would help him keep up on PHP updates.
    ||| Open Door Hosting- Professional Web Hosting
    ||| Affordable Hosting - Located in the U.S.A
    ||| Unmatched Support - Secure Servers
    "Opening the door for Your Business"

While I dont run a hosting company, I wouldn't expect my host to tell me nor would I tell anyone if I were a hosting company.

If they want to stay up to date with the versions and what is being removed and what isnt, Then I would suggest to them to read the php website.

I would also then advise them to just update their code.

Tbh, if they run linux, this is a 2 second job by finding and replacing..

Either replace split with preg_split() or use explode()

In 99.9 of cases a simple find replace for split and turning into preg_split will do it.
    Live Chat Support Software for your Business website - IMsupporting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Interix View Post
    Whoever the customer was talking about must have way to much times on their hands to do this. this is my own thought though.

But from my end, no you should not be required to inform customers of each depreciated function, I am sure you would rather have that time spent informing them spent elsewhere ?

Lisa
    Too much time on their hands is correct.

We run both a webhosting company and a development company. Whenever the PHP version gets a major update we simply provide a link to our customers to the list of changes in that revision (which is on the PHP website).

At the same time from a developers point of view, I'd expect our staff to be completely updated on PHP and know whats depreciated and whats not, otherwise you really aren't much of a developer. I certainly wouldn't go off on the webhosting company.

Of course *not* informing your customers about an update is completely unacceptable.
    [[ Reyox Communications / USA based cloud servers & support / 9 years of hosting websites ]]
    [[ Affordable ASP.NET4, ColdFusion, PHP & MS-SQL, MySQL, cPanel/WHM & Windows Reseller Hosting + Virtual Private Servers ]]
    (www.reyox.com) - Mention WHT and get a discount on your first month!

We had this issue and we set up a VPS. If some one codes in PHP they should be up to date with it. Any customer can run phpinfo to see what you are running. They also should of had plenty of notice before it was depreciated. It's nice to tell them but I don't think it's a must.