How would you evaluate budget VPS?

This thread is both dedicated to customers as well as those offering a service.
    After reading about the concerns raised on the relevance of snapshot benchmarks for everyday use applications in another thread, I wonder what you'd suggest in order to properly rate a budget VPS provider. What sort of utility would you run and over what period of time? How would you compare support, both response time and efficiency wise? And last, but not least, what would you consider a decent enough time-frame for such a test to get (and more importantly share) a meaningful impression on the service?
    On a side note, would anybody have a reliable idea to eliminate the influence on potentially node specific issues with such tests?

Feedback (and discussion) would be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance for your input.

I think, I would take the following steps to evaluate the service:

1. Upload/download speed
    2. Ticket response time
    3. Resources (RAM) overselled or not ?
    4. Downtime monitor test (like Pongdom or something)
    5. Basic IO performace test to see if there are lot of users on the server - create a big file and start copying it. While copying, see IO Wait values in top utility.

Hope this helps.
    CloudVPS
    Affordable VPS Servers - Middle East
    High performance | Green technologies

Ticket response time shouldn't be something everyone looks for a budget provider, if your looking for a budget vps/lowend box you are not going to have top-notch support and 24/7 support, Just because BuyVM offers mon-fri support only between hours don't make them a bad budget low end provider, its because they offer budget vps's so they offer budget services/features, if you paid more you would get more.

I wouldn't count that as a feature to evaluate a budget vps..
    FusionNET Solutions
    OpenVZ & XEN VPS available in US & UK.
    IRC & Adult Allowed, RDNS Control, 24/7 Helpdesk, VPN Ready, Native IPv6 Ready!

Just to clarify, Mon-Fri is our active support hours. It's still very possible to get ahold of us on the weekends for emergencies, and some of us actually relax by doing some ticket work on the weekends <_< We just don't promise an answer until Monday... even our tech slaves need some downtime :3

Jokes aside, we've found that one of the best ways you can 'rate' a company is based on the level of personal service provided. How well does a company listen when you have suggestions? How willing are they to explain the actual reasons behind a problem? Personally, I would pass up a company with guaranteed 24/7 SLA and (name conditions here) for one that might have the occasional hiccup, but is quick to apologize, explain what happened, and outline how they are resolving the issue. It shows that the company cares for its clients, and would probably be willing to go the extra mile for you. Not simply because you're a source of income, but because you're a part of their community.
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

@Aldryic C'boas.

I understand what your saying, I don't think Shane was saying anything typically to your company in any harm or bashing, I see him simply saying buyvm is a budget provider, and your response time isn't 24/7, or always the quickest I assume sense your support hour promise is Mon-Fri between a time frame that shouldn't be based on how they evaluate if your a good or bad budget provider.

I personally think buyvm is one of the top 5 best budget providers, it's very low priced, reliable for what you pay for, and it's a community built thing, everyone helps each other there (i've seen it even done by the staff members on there public irc).

-- The budget top 5 is coming from lowendbox, they won the top3

I'm not saying I've used them and used all the budget providers and saying there the best, no. I'm simply saying they where voted for top budget providers on leb

Congrats to that by the way,

How's business Aldryic, everything running smooth? I heard some problems happen after the stock release party happen few weeks ago.

Oh, hah, sorry, didn't mean to imply I thought he was being hostile or anything XD Shane's a good guy, he's pretty quick to stick up for us when someone has an unreasonable complaint

Yeah, we're technically budget, but we're doing our best to break away from the `get what you pay for` stereotypes... mainly because, hey, we're here to provide the best service we can, and have fun doing it. It's a pretty unique feeling to have developers (like the SolusVM team) tell us `How did you do this..` when we have fixes in place before they implement features

Everything's going pretty well now.. poor Anthony had a headache going for awhile with some really weird bugs on our test node, but that's all been worked out now. Fran's quite possibly the most talented coder I've ever seen... even if his methods drive me to drink before 8am some days :3
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Aldryic C'boas View Post
    Oh, hah, sorry, didn't mean to imply I thought he was being hostile or anything XD Shane's a good guy, he's pretty quick to stick up for us when someone has an unreasonable complaint

Yeah, we're technically budget, but we're doing our best to break away from the `get what you pay for` stereotypes... mainly because, hey, we're here to provide the best service we can, and have fun doing it. It's a pretty unique feeling to have developers (like the SolusVM team) tell us `How did you do this..` when we have fixes in place before they implement features

Everything's going pretty well now.. poor Anthony had a headache going for awhile with some really weird bugs on our test node, but that's all been worked out now. Fran's quite possibly the most talented coder I've ever seen... even if his methods drive me to drink before 8am some days :3

True, Shane's a great guy, and cares about his team and his clients I can vouch for that,

Yeah, I've seen some great thing's you guy's did and what he's told me, You guy's got a nice community over there and some talented people behind the scenes. I'm glad to see a great budget provider around that don't fold up over night, You guy's are what keep's it around, I hope it stays for a long time

I stopped over for a chat at your IRC and I was chatting about the IPv6 feature, That's funny that SolusLAB asked you guy's, I do think I know how you guy's done it, as we are able to get it working but we haven't officially released it out yet, it's still in our test servers.

and I do understand, I do believe your service is great.. I mean, What can't be better then having the best prices on the market? IRC Allowed? Full rDNS Management? I personally see you guy's on-top and how was this done? hard work and dedication.

Ey, everyone's comments don't mean it's a poor company, You guy's grow even with them poor comments, everyone's review isn't always the best information to go on, as it don't mean you will have the same problem? or who's saying they also didn't do something that caused the problems that led to bigger issues? Behind the scenes alot more goes down then what is discussed, so I always wait til I hear both ends of reviews, and I personally do my own looks and research instead of checking on reviews, That's why I came in and stopped by, I also will be looking to grab one of them 128s

Keep doing the great job you are doing I also thinks thats why Shane likes y'all so much and sticks up for y'all in that way, He has a service with you, and it runs great I actually think we use it for one of our side-projects

Thank you for that and the stable VM

Hope you guy's win again at LEB for this quarter

Speed/latency, availability, IO performance and bandwidth.

Try to avoid "unlimited" bandwidth offers - that usually means tiny uplink and bad speed. Some are still using 100Mbit Internet uplinks and even 100Mbit-connected nodes.

iozone and bonnie++ are great disk benchmarking tools. i/o can be a sticking point with budget providers. that being said, a single test at a single time isn't going to tell you much. whatever benchmarks you run, run them several times at different time periods.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudvps View Post

1. Upload/download speed
    2. Ticket response time
    5. Basic IO performace test to see if there are lot of users on the server - create a big file and start copying it. While copying, see IO Wait values in top utility.

Hope this helps.
    This is definitely the best way to do it. Great advice, I'd put support before up/down speed though
    VPSforMe.com - OpenVZ Virtualization with SolusVM Control Panel on High Quality Servers.
    VPSforMe.com - Inexpensive VPSs with great features.
    VPSforMe.com - 24/7 Ticket Support with FAST Replies
    VPSforMe.com - CEO Jackson H - [email protected]

1. Upload/download speed
    2. Ticket response time

Hope this helps.
    I agree. I think you should add one more step and that is the professionalism of the support.
    I think it is the most important part .
    █ NiceVZ.com | Budget& Nice Hosting
    █ Offering affordable and reliable web hosting
    █ Follow Us on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by [CTI] Todd View Post
    iozone and bonnie++ are great disk benchmarking tools. i/o can be a sticking point with budget providers. that being said, a single test at a single time isn't going to tell you much. whatever benchmarks you run, run them several times at different time periods.
    And also a really good way to get suspended by any host that monitors their nodes

Francisco

Given the general (most unfortunately sparse) response in this thread, I feel that I might not have been clear enough and that I'll have to try expressing my concerns again.

I think, I would take the following steps to evaluate the service(...)
    I'm less looking for a ranked list of specifications, but rather how to properly rate them. There are two main concerns that I'm going to try and illustrate through quotes from a different thread that tried to compare some budget VPS solutions...

For once, you have the issue of persistence and reliability of figures when taking a small amount of samples.

Quote Originally Posted by BurstNET View Post
    You cannot judge the quality of a company's overall support team based off one single ticket. Considering we handle thousands of tickets per day, not every one will be perfectly handled.(...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Anykey View Post
    (...)For now though, it does just seem like a snapshot in time.. so another test in 1 week could prove that all the results are mixed around and what was previously good, is now bad and vice-versa.(...)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickWeb-Roel View Post
    (...)Regarding I/O performance i think it is node to node basis (unless really being overloaded as a norm)I would not personally take these marks as a whole picture for their entire production servers unless you have multiple VPS on same provider at different nodes which can better tell bigger picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramnet View Post
    (...)These tests show how far you can burst...not realistic load patterns at all. (...)
    The best way to judge performance is to put a real application that people actually will use and watch it's performance over a few days which would be far more useful than showing how well something was doing for the 5-20 minutes you were logged in watching it. (...) Burstable performance means squat if sustained average performance is garbage.
    Now I'm looking for a solution that would grant a good idea on general persistent performance across time and nodes without having to deploy a mission critical application (which would both be a risky venture with some budget providers and should likely suffer from the task of getting enough clientèle for a stress test, especially when rating several companies at once). And it would have to be a 'cheap' solution, given that monetary resources are limited.

The second concern is possibly dragging down the node's performance and thus not only getting into trouble with the provider, but ruining the experience for everybody else running a real application on the node.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    And also a really good way to get suspended by any host that monitors their nodes (...)
    Thus the test scenario would have to be easy enough on the resources as to avoid conflict, but demanding enough to get a significant result.

I would suggest looking at the length of time a company has been in business as well as the other factors mentioned. MANY people try to jump into this pool and quickly learn they have no idea how to swim in these waters.

And thanks to reseller programs, MANY people can offer low prices, but then also offer things they can't deliver, which makes the whole of the industry look bad.

Also, your inital question if open to interpretation becasue what is important to one person (Support tickets answered quickly) may not be important to another (Uptime).

I'd say focus on your personal top 3 to 5 things, list them, and ask people their opines on them, rather than the broad stoke you placed before us.