Providers of Cloud-based VPS's?

Can you guys help me compile a list of Cloud-based VPS providers that have quality setups?

Quality as in high performance SANs in active-active configuration with SSD caching for each cloud cluster.

Who out there is doing this right now?
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Does the EBS datastore on Amazon count? I don't know for sure what they use behind the scenes other than them mentioning replication within the same availability zone. From the instance's perspective, it behaves as active-active if you attach multiple volumes and RAID them together. AFR of any given volume is about 0.1% – 0.5%.

Rackspace? The Planet? Although I don't know how they are configured but I would just assume.. Anyone?
    Linux & Windows Hosting Expert @ Contegix
    FedRAMP / HIPAA / PCI Compliant Cloud Solutions backed by 24x7x365 Technical Support
    Specializing in high traffic Drupal and WordPress compliant sites + highly customized solutions
    rjohnson@contegix.com -- 877-289-0395 x2018 -- www.Contegix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Motiv View Post
    Rackspace? The Planet? Although I don't know how they are configured but I would just assume.. Anyone?
    Rackspace cloud does not utilize a SAN.

How is it configured?
    Linux & Windows Hosting Expert @ Contegix
    FedRAMP / HIPAA / PCI Compliant Cloud Solutions backed by 24x7x365 Technical Support
    Specializing in high traffic Drupal and WordPress compliant sites + highly customized solutions
    rjohnson@contegix.com -- 877-289-0395 x2018 -- www.Contegix.com

Rackspace Cloud Servers are direct attached storage. Their control panel lets you take snapshots and dump them into Cloud Files, which isn't a SAN, but more of a reliable, distributed object storage.

Rackspace Cloud Sites on the other hand, could very well be SAN backed (who knows), but that's not a VPS-like offering.

There are several high end Cloud providers that use Fiber Channel, high performance SAN to deliver cloud servers.

RAckspace, linode, slicehost, etc, are based on local storage, so you don't get the same redundancy.

Does server location matter?
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

gigenetcloud.com - They say that they utilize SANs, however, I had really horrible exp. with them. Left them within 2 months due to too many issues and than all of sudden price changes.
    RVH Cloud - Every day hosting solutions since 2003
    Shared Hosting Reseller Hosting VPS Dedicated Servers True 24 x 7 x 365 Support

VPS.net I am pretty sure use SANs as they are powered by OnApp.

I dont mean "just" using a SAN.
    I mean high performance SANs in ACTIVE/ACTIVE configuration.

As in, 2 SAN devices operating as ONE SAN in load balanced/redundant configuration and each SAN has SSD caching with multiple disk controllers.

A proper configuration to start out with would be $30K+ for the provider.
    So who is running this type of setup?
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

bueller? bueller?

Gigenetcloud "true" SAN setup.

They are not running in active/active configuration as far as I am aware and have also had a lot of performance problems with their configuration.

From one of their support notice
    "1) Fail-over and removal of backup unit
    Window: 3-14-2011 12:00AM CST - 1:30AM CST
    Expected Interruption: 15 Minutes
    Action: A fail-over is going to be performed to change the Active Active setup to an Active Backup setup. This will prevent IO collisions that have been occurring causing high system load. This will also put us in a state where we can begin the rebuild. The backup unit will be removed so it can begin being rebuilt. "

This was an old notification, but it proves they use Active/Active .
    Plus, so far, I had no issues with their I/O. Their latest improvement was meant to improve speeds tenfold. I used VPS.NET as well, and had alot of issues with them ( one of the reasons why I moved to gigenet in the first place )

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    They are not running in active/active configuration as far as I am aware and have also had a lot of performance problems with their configuration.
    Our SANs ARE Active/Active anD aside from a bad set of hardware IOps and throughput are the best out there. Our subsystems can do more than 100,000 IOPs and more than 1GB/s throughput. Though, it should be made clear that a single VM cannot use the entire subsystem so those speeds will vary.

Thanks

Chris,

I was a builder of cloud hosting so I figured I might chime in here. The following are some of the "cloud" hosts I've tested/used/use.

Zerigo
    Rackspace/Slicehost
    Terremark
    Stormondemand/Liquidweb
    Gigenet
    Linode
    Chunkhost
    GoGrid
    TaTa
    CloudCentral.com.au
    VPS.net
    Voxcloud/Voxel.net
    Softlayer/ThePlanet
    Amazon
    Gandi.net
    Joyent
    Bluelock

and I'm sure I forgot to mention a few others.

Now building a cloud isn't a cheap proposition and there are a bunch of choices to work out to make the price to performance equation work for consumers. A lot of the providers you see today use iSCSI as it is cheaper than the fiber channel option or they don't do SAN at all (not necessarily a bad thing unless you specifically need HA).

To answer your question I do not believe there is a standard configuration from a cloud provider that offers SAN Active/Active with SSD because SSD is so expensive to deploy in a SAN (or caching cards, maybe joyent does?). You can of course decrease this expense by using waterfalling in your SAN so that as data becomes less used it goes down to cheaper storage and only the high io applications stay on the SSD but that is still expensive unless you try to limit your customers iops which kind of defeats the purpose. I do know Voxel does offer cloud servers with SSD but I believe those are local (I may be wrong, perhaps Sam can chime in). However you do not necessarily need SSD to make your cloud platform perform if you do everything else properly.

There are so many questions I have about your original question that I do not believe I can do it justice unless you define it. If you would like to talk offline about the idea of cloud performance I'm more than willing to chat.

We are currently beta testing our OnApp-based cloud product that runs active/active HA SAN's with SSD caching based on Starwind. So far, we are having pretty good success.
    Rob Tyree
    Versaweb - DDoS Protected Cloud and Dedicated Server Hosting
    Fiberhub - Affordable Colocation Services in Las Vegas, Dallas, Miami, and Seattle

We are using direct attached storage, we also throw volumes that need high Disk IOps, and throughput on SSD's within our infastrcture. We are able to obtain roughly 1250MByte/sec with over 300k IOps Max. Once we finish our 40GB backbone we will be able to push close to 3000MByte/sec with probably closer to 800k-1m IOps. This is all Raid 0+1.

Thanks,
    Michael Wallace - michael@innoscale.net
    Innovative Scaling Technologies Inc. - A Cloud Service Provider
    24/7 Support, Call us @ 1-307-200-4880
    www.innoscale.net - Seattle, Silicon Valley, Dallas, Chicago, Washington D.C., and Europe

I think Amazon has support this quite good.