Social Media Management; opinions, options

Our SEO advised that we start doing social marketing. While I'm eager to do what this person tells me to do, I can't think of a bigger waste of time than facebook. We're selling web hosting, not running pyramid schemes or promoting night clubs.

So, like any good geek, I took to google, only to find that the cheapest management service I could find was $200/mo. I certainly don't want to use the cheapest service out there, but I've been around the block with freelancing sites and I'm almost 100% certain that all these services do is hire people in the third world to post to facebook, twitter, and whatever other social networks are out there.

I had considered just doing the same thing, taking to oDesk and hiring someone to manage this stuff for me. But the thing is, I don't know where to begin. If most of the buyers on oDesk are any indication, I'd probably end up hiring someone who is an expert in cramming autoblog and clickbank schemes down peoples' throats, not someone who knows anything about promoting legit businesses, let alone a hosting business.

So I ask you, what do you think are the benefits, if any, to promoting your services on facebook?
    And if you do:
    Do you feel that it's worth the effort?
    If you were to outsource this, what do you think that's worth?
    Do you have any advice for the garden variety facebook doubter?

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyHost View Post
    Our SEO advised that we start doing social marketing. While I'm eager to do what this person tells me to do, I can't think of a bigger waste of time than facebook. We're selling web hosting, not running pyramid schemes or promoting night clubs.

So, like any good geek, I took to google, only to find that the cheapest management service I could find was $200/mo. I certainly don't want to use the cheapest service out there, but I've been around the block with freelancing sites and I'm almost 100% certain that all these services do is hire people in the third world to post to facebook, twitter, and whatever other social networks are out there.

I had considered just doing the same thing, taking to oDesk and hiring someone to manage this stuff for me. But the thing is, I don't know where to begin. If most of the buyers on oDesk are any indication, I'd probably end up hiring someone who is an expert in cramming autoblog and clickbank schemes down peoples' throats, not someone who knows anything about promoting legit businesses, let alone a hosting business.

So I ask you, what do you think are the benefits, if any, to promoting your services on facebook?
    And if you do:
    Do you feel that it's worth the effort?
    If you were to outsource this, what do you think that's worth?
    Do you have any advice for the garden variety facebook doubter?
    Social bookmarking is a very important part of SEO. It is part of the most important part of SEO which is link building. Without link building, your SEO campaign will most probably fail or never give you any good results.

Facebook, Twiiter, Digg, StumbleUpon, and all the other social bookmarking sites are very important to be seen on. Not only to they help your link building, they also give you a better web visibility. People will have better chances of finding you.

So to answer your question, I absolutely do not think that Facebook, Twiiter, and so on, are a waste of time. But what I will disagree on is the fact that you are willing to pay 200$/month to do that job for you. It is very easy to manage your social bookmarks. It isn't time consuming because it is a one time thing. Once your Facebook page is up and running, besides giving updates of what new product you have to offer, services, or what have you. The same goes for Twitter, once your profile is set and you have all your information up there, all that is required is for you to keep on offering great tweets to your followers.

Something I would recommend doing is investing those 200$ in your SEO firm, an extra 200$/month could surely do you a lot of good and offer a solid boost in rankings. That obviously is if you choose the right firm. Be careful because these days people offer SEO services without even knowing what they're doing.
    MetaSEO - 1.855.METASEO (638.2736)
    Internet Marketing Services - Search Engine Optimization
    ASK A SEO QUESTION - Our SEO Gurus answer all your SEO questions.

Well, social media boosted in the industry today. It is one way to promote your business as well. However, social media only helps you in generating traffic, it doesn't affect your site ranking in search engines. It would be better if you will use both social media and search engines optimization. This will really improve your site ranking.

Yes, promoting your business on facebook worth. Its the cheapest media of promotion of your business. Hiring of experts is also makes sense because alone one person cannot handle all these. Facebook worth only if you have targeted fans and friends and it is possible only through experts of facebook services or web services

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate an honest answer to these questions.

I understand that this stuff gets your name out there, and the social bookmarking stuff seems simple enough.

What I am curious about, though, is the level of involvement in facebook. Do I just "friend" people, and post on their wall? Do I just post links to our blog posts from facebook? How much is too much? How much is not enough?

Facebook does not allow to post lots of link frequently. So, you should remember that your participation for promotion to your business does not look like a robotic work. You should join relevant group in facebook related with your business. Same concept is applied for friends and people. You can also send them message regarding your services if you offer.