Question Small-capacity, stable, cheap hosting

Hi,

I'm looking for an europe-based company that:
    - can host two domains
    - can offer me ~500MB of space (I'm not looking for any 100GB or "unlimited" hosting plans, I need max. 500MB)
    - can offer cPanel
    - has at least 99% uptime
    - has a low monthly fee

I intend to use this as a backup solution for two of my websites, so the most important quality should be uptime.

Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Do you specifically require a Europe-based company, or would the server just being in Europe suffice?
    HostStellar.com - Stellar Shared and Reseller Hosting
    Features: LiteSpeed Powered | R1Soft Backup (6 hourly) | RVSiteBuilder Pro | Jailed SSH Access
    Guarantees: 24/7/365 Stellar Support | 30 Days Money Back | 99.9% Uptime SLA

Hello Razva,

Your requirements can be fulfilled by any host.
    Please do take a look at the offer section of this forum
    and do not forget to read the companies review before you sign up!
    If you steal from one author, it’s plagiarism; if you steal from many, it’s research

Quote Originally Posted by HostStellar_Jansen View Post
    Do you specifically require a Europe-based company, or would the server just being in Europe suffice?
    The server being in Europe suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by subhash View Post
    Hello Razva,

Your requirements can be fulfilled by any host.
    Please do take a look at the offer section of this forum
    and do not forget to read the companies review before you sign up!
    Well...I'm googling right now and everything I can find has a 6-7eur monthly cost for ONE domain, or ~10-15eur for 2-3 domains, which I find kinda expensive compared to USA...

Search for american companies with servers in Europe, that may lower the price.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Razva View Post
    Hi,

- can offer me ~500MB of space (I'm not looking for any 100GB or "unlimited" hosting plans, I need max. 500MB)
    I think we've found our smartest WHT member! Why can't everyone be like you?
    StableHost .:. Unlimited web hosting done right. Experience the unlimited difference.
    PingThat .:. Is your website down? Find out now with our QuickChecker technology.

I think we've found our smartest WHT member! Why can't everyone be like you?
    Question is would you allow it as a backup solution?
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) • Shared • Reseller • Cloud VPS • Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider • Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM • R1Soft Backups • 24/7/365 Support • 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

Maybe MediaLayer? It's around 7 euros a month, but it's worth it. Extremely fast and stable.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

Make sure you read the host's Terms of Service before you sign up, as many hosting providers do not allow shared hosting accounts to be used for backup purposes.
    HOSTLEET.COM, LLC - Elite Website Hosting Since 2008!
    Fast Reliable Affordable Secure Friendly & Courteous
    RISK-FREE Money Back Guarantee PCI-Compliant Checkout
    U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

There are a large ammount of hosts on this forum alone that can meet your requirements hands down. Just need to look you are not asking much so it should be quite easy. Try the find a host link at the top of the page on the nav bar
    Cheap and Reliable Reseller And VPS Services!
    Co-Location | VPS | WHM Resellers | Cpanel Accounts | ORDER

Try hosting with a higher end datacenter - they often have strictly limited shared hosting, although their real business is collocation or dedicated servers, you know they are reliable and not a fly by night provider, who's earned the trust of people who have a lot more to lose than you do.

Put a number on what you mean by "cheap" hosting.
    To me, anything less than $50/monthly is cheap.
    As a random suggestion, look at EuroVPS -- they have $10/monthly range shared plans.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    Question is would you allow it as a backup solution?
    I would as 500MB is nothing. If I sell a plan at say £2.95 with say 2GB of diskspace and OP only uses the account to store 500MB, it makes no difference to me. In fact, OPs account would use far less resources than other users who use their full 2GB of diskspace, have live websites up and running, receiving lots of traffic, as well as using a fair amount of CPU/memory, etc.

I would as 500MB is nothing. If I sell a plan at say £2.95 with say 2GB of diskspace and OP only uses the account to store 500MB, it makes no difference to me. In fact, OPs account would use far less resources than other users who use their full 2GB of diskspace, have live websites up and running, receiving lots of traffic, as well as using a fair amount of CPU/memory, etc.
    I am more referring to the comapnies that outline they will not allow storage on their main systems to where they host their customer websites, a lot of providers will not allow their service to be a storage hut for anything and everything such as a computer backup of all their files as example.

That is more to what I am referring too.

I intend to use this as a backup solution for two of my websites, so the most important quality should be uptime.
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com • Customer Service Rep. • Superior Service Guarantee

a lot of providers will not allow their service to be a storage hut for anything and everything such as a computer backup of all their files as example.
    Yes, mainly the ones that do extreme overselling.

Yes, mainly the ones that do extreme overselling.
    Not always, we do not even allow it

If you really want to start lagging cPanel, it is the perfect way to go!

Well, to me, it makes much more sense to just let them store the 500MB. They may end up using the account properly at some point and may refer you to friends who signup for bigger plans, etc. So it's worth it, IMO.

500MB is not much at all. Different if they're using the account to store GB's of data though.

Yes, though then think about 500MB over how many accounts you allocate (ie; 10 x 500 = 5GB) it surely will add up in due time if you are going to allow it as part of a service -- to be honest you are best having them on separate systems then the same.

I have a different concept and an idea than to what you would have, though I guess in this sense we just do not see eye to on eye on how it would turn out.

Yes, though then think about 500MB over how many accounts you allocate (ie; 10 x 500 = 5GB) it surely will add up in due time if you are going to allow it as part of a service -- to be honest you are best having them on separate systems then the same.

I have a different concept and an idea than to what you would have, though I guess in this sense we just do not see eye to on eye on how it would turn out.
    I said it would be ok for a few users to do. You probably already have a few users using their account to store data. I doubt you go checking through all of their accounts.

Like I said, I think its fine for a few users.

I said it would be ok for a few users to do. You probably already have a few users using their account to store data. I doubt you go checking through all of their accounts.

Like I said, I think its fine for a few users.
    Additionally you cannot just allow a few and not the rest, I could possibly have users doing the exact same but if I was to find them in which I do normally do random sweeps and found this to be the case then I would give them the outlines that storage was not accepted for computer backups.

I think we have brought this a little off topic, so best to get back onto the main thread

Additionally you cannot just allow a few and not the rest, I could possibly have users doing the exact same but if I was to find them in which I do normally do random sweeps and found this to be the case then I would give them the outlines that storage was not accepted for computer backups.
    Well I don't put such limit in Terms and wouldn't have a problem if a user wanted to use their space just for storage. Not every user will use 100% of their quota. It hasn't been a problem with us so far anyway. The more you oversell the less space you want your users to use though. That's why I spent a lot of time trying to get the plans as realistic as possible so users can actually use what has been advertised on the website.

It would take too much time trying to work out which users are using their account for storage only anyway. Just one less for thing to worry about.

I think we have brought this a little off topic, so best to get back onto the main thread
    Seems on topic to me.
    Last edited by HostXNow_Chris; 04-12-2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added more info

Well in the end I think I have to choose between MediaLayer and GoDaddy.

MediaLayer seems more "pro". GoDaddy is more widely used. Both use "cloud" technology and have great uptime. The price is ~the same.

Now, I don't have any idea if MediaLayer offers these services in Europe. Any infos about this?

Regarding space, I think that even 500mb is more than enough for a company website, in a world where [EMBED] is the keyword. Why host a video locally and block space when I can host it at one of the 10000 video sharing sites, that offer me greater tools in order promote it? Why block space with hi-def pictures when I can pay 5$/year to Picasa for 20GB of picture storage in the cloud? Or to Amazon...

I think that users have a big lack of "internet education". Everybody wants to replica. Isn't that just...nonsense?

Godaddy is terrible -- that's not even a serious choice.

Why host a video locally and block space when I can host it at one of the 10000 video sharing sites, that offer me greater tools in order promote it? Why block space with hi-def pictures when I can pay 5$/year to Picasa for 20GB of picture storage in the cloud? Or to Amazon...
    Control over your own content. That's why.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by Razva View Post
    Now, I don't have any idea if MediaLayer offers these services in Europe. Any infos about this?
    We do indeed have service available in Amsterdam, NL.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Well in the end I think I have to choose between MediaLayer and GoDaddy.
    Definitely stay away from Godaddy. It's always been on the slow side, and it's been getting progressively slower. Uptime-wise, you could find worse than them though: http://www.pingdom.com/reports/xdibi...?name=Godaddy1