Are there any stable, reliable, fast budget hosts out there?

I'm looking to move my rather basic gaming clan website and forums over to a more reliable host.

Here's why I'm looking to move (as much as I don't want to):

The current host I've been with for years, but as with most of the last few hosts I've been with, they've grown big and their shared server space often times feels overcrowded as my website literally slows to a crawl and stops loading half the time. I can't really complain as I went from being a paying customer to being a "hosted for free" type (as I'm a mod/guide on the host's forums).

It was great for the first two years, but then I started noticing rather frequent slowdowns to the point where my forum takes forever to respond and my old static website also took forever to load pages. It's been several server moves and I'm just tired of dealing with the level 1 and level 2 support techs who have rough English and fail to understand half the responses I type.

Anyways, I've been on the hunt for a reliable, fast, and affordable web host for the past few months and the huge number of offers on the "Shared Hosting Offers" part of the forum and hosts are just too much. I don't even know who's reliable with not so crowded shared servers. I'm getting tired and frustrated of sifting through so many hosts, reading review, and still at the end of the day wondering if looking at the right ones.

What I'm looking for in the web host and package:

2 GB+ of storage
    30 GB+ of monthly transfer
    cPanel or some other easy to use web control panel
    Fast, reliable, support that have a good grasp of the English language
    A company that isn't going to sell itself over after X number of customers join them
    2+ MySQL Databases**
    PHP 4.3 or greater**
    MySQL 4.1.2 or greater**
    Apache**
    The mod_rewrite Apache module**
    $5 or less a month -- I really can't afford more than this as I'm a full-time student with no job at the moment.

** The basic requirements for Wordpress as my clan site is a Wordpress-based website with integrated forums.

Here are some hosts I've looked at:
    - SpeedySparrow (downside is they are Australian based)
    - AeroVPS (seems like they don't have overcrowded servers)
    - Stablehost
    - WebAir (on the expensive side, but seems to have a good reputation)
    - ASmallOrange (quite expensive for me, but also has a great reputation and apparently no overcrowding)

Anyone have any good suggestions?
    Hosted by: Hudson Valley Host (6 months+)
    Past Hosts
    : LevelHosting (2 years), Speedy Sparrow (2 years), 5ribu (3 months), Cirtex Hosting (5 years), Powweb (2 years), GoDaddy (2 years), SynergyBox (2 months, defunct), Freezoka (6 months), Peachy Dandy (1 year, defunct)

So you are looking for the reviews and recommendation for one of those hosts?

I think that you can start some search and get more names from web hosting offers section here.
    But for VPS your budget is not enough as for me.
    WebIntellects - Fully Managed Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers since1999.
    WebhostGIANT - LOW Cost Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
    So you are looking for the reviews and recommendation for one of those hosts?
    Ah, I should have been more clear. I was looking for recommendations for hosts in general (not just the ones I listed). I was hoping someone could point me at a host they might have had a lengthy experience with that's good.

Basically what's good out there? The hosting offers sections doesn't really give me any idea of which hosts are good hosts and which are not good. Searching WHT/the web for reviews only goes so far as some hosts don't even have reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by WebhostGIANT-Rob
    But for VPS your budget is not enough as for me.
    I'm looking for shared hosting, not VPS or semi-dedicated. That's way out of my price range.

Just to further clarify, I'm not looking to deal with any hosts that offer unlimited storage or transfer bandwidth. From my own past experiences, they are often the most unreliable and most overcrowded.
    Last edited by Andan; 03-28-2011 at 03:38 AM.
    Past Hosts
    : LevelHosting (2 years), Speedy Sparrow (2 years), 5ribu (3 months), Cirtex Hosting (5 years), Powweb (2 years), GoDaddy (2 years), SynergyBox (2 months, defunct), Freezoka (6 months), Peachy Dandy (1 year, defunct)

In any case your budget is really good for asking requirements and I think that would be easy to find the one - just check web hosting offers section for shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Andan View Post
    FYI all of SpeedySparrow servers are based in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by WebhostGIANT-Rob View Post
    In any case your budget is really good for asking requirements and I think that would be easy to find the one - just check web hosting offers section for shared hosting.
    It sounds like the OP has been doing this - they want recommendations from others now.
    TheHostGenie.com
    cPanel | Softaculous | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS | Dedicated
    [email protected]

We also have staff members from the USA as well -- just add on James's response and @OP for his concerns.

I have been with SpeedySparrow for close to a year now. A+ web hosting/support. And I speak no other language then english!

Quote Originally Posted by JLHC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean
    We also have staff members from the USA as well -- just add on James's response and @OP for his concerns.
    Didn't know that. I read through the website and saw they were Austrialian based so I figured their servers were also in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChemist
    I have been with SpeedySparrow for close to a year now. A+ web hosting/support. And I speak no other language then english!
    Could you provide your website address? I want to see how quickly their servers serve up a actual hosted site.
    Past Hosts

Didn't know that. I read through the website and saw they were Austrialian based so I figured their servers were also in Australia.
    I assume their headquarters are in Australia and servers in US.
    That is normal practice as for me.

For what its worth, out of the hosts you mentioned I would give either speedy or stablehost a try. With your specs though you definitely dont need to be paying more than $10 per month (so I'd definitely scratch a small orange off your list, way overpriced in my opinion). Im not to familiar with the other hosts you listed. Best of luck!
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Could you provide your website address? I want to see how quickly their servers serve up a actual hosted site.
    You may want to check "TheChemists" signature for his domain
    http://www.corporateblack.com/
    l Dedigeeks (Twitter) Shared Reseller Cloud VPS Since 2010
    l Leading AU Hosting Provider Multiple locations - around the globe!
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    l www.yourcompanynamehere.com Customer Service Rep. Superior Service Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics
    For what its worth, out of the hosts you mentioned I would give either speedy or stablehost a try. With your specs though you definitely don't need to be paying more than $10 per month (so I'd definitely scratch a small orange off your list, way overpriced in my opinion). Im not to familiar with the other hosts you listed. Best of luck!
    Hmm, okay so Speedy and Stable. Good to know that $10 is a harder upper limit for what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    You may want to check "TheChemists" signature for his domain
    http://www.corporateblack.com/
    I'm sorry, completely missed that!

Oooh, woah, it loads up nice and quick. Okay, going to the top of my list for now.
    Last edited by Andan; 03-28-2011 at 04:32 AM.
    Past Hosts

Quote Originally Posted by Andan View Post
    I'm looking to move my rather basic gaming clan website and forums over to a more reliable host.

Here's why I'm looking to move (as much as I don't want to):

The current host I've been with for years, but as with most of the last few hosts I've been with, they've grown big and their shared server space often times feels overcrowded as my website literally slows to a crawl and stops loading half the time. I can't really complain as I went from being a paying customer to being a "hosted for free" type (as I'm a mod/guide on the host's forums).

It was great for the first two years, but then I started noticing rather frequent slowdowns to the point where my forum takes forever to respond and my old static website also took forever to load pages. It's been several server moves and I'm just tired of dealing with the level 1 and level 2 support techs who have rough English and fail to understand half the responses I type.

Anyways, I've been on the hunt for a reliable, fast, and affordable web host for the past few months and the huge number of offers on the "Shared Hosting Offers" part of the forum and hosts are just too much. I don't even know who's reliable with not so crowded shared servers. I'm getting tired and frustrated of sifting through so many hosts, reading review, and still at the end of the day wondering if looking at the right ones.

What I'm looking for in the web host and package:

2 GB+ of storage
    30 GB+ of monthly transfer
    cPanel or some other easy to use web control panel
    Fast, reliable, support that have a good grasp of the English language
    A company that isn't going to sell itself over after X number of customers join them
    2+ MySQL Databases**
    PHP 4.3 or greater**
    MySQL 4.1.2 or greater**
    Apache**
    The mod_rewrite Apache module**
    $5 or less a month -- I really can't afford more than this as I'm a full-time student with no job at the moment.

** The basic requirements for Wordpress as my clan site is a Wordpress-based website with integrated forums.

- AeroVPS (seems like they don't have overcrowded servers)
    - Stablehost
    - WebAir (on the expensive side, but seems to have a good reputation)
    - ASmallOrange (quite expensive for me, but also has a great reputation and apparently no overcrowding)

Anyone have any good suggestions?
    Moving shared hosts is easy. You just do a cpanel backup and restore. It only takes a few minutes. So why are you wasting time worrying? Just pick any host in that list at random and make the move. Pay monthly so that if things don't work out you can move to another provider.

Moving shared hosts is easy. You just do a cpanel backup and restore. It only takes a few minutes. So why are you wasting time worrying? Just pick any host in that list at random and make the move. Pay monthly so that if things don't work out you can move to another provider.
    It depends on the size of his account, an account over 1GB is not going to take a few minutes, it can take much longer depending on the system in both aspects of backing the account up and then restoring it on the new system.

/scripts/pkgacct username will back the account up via SSH, /scripts/restorepkg username will then restore it on the new system but in most cases you need to wget the data across or scp the backup, either way it surely is going to take longer than just a few mere minutes.

Oh please . I am sure the new provider will handle the site move for him using their ultra fast super duper data center connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Website themes View Post
    Oh please . I am sure the new provider will handle the site move for him using their ultra fast super duper data center connection.
    Oh gee!

Say no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Website themes View Post
    I don't want to keep moving every few years. It's such a waste of time and resources to move and move and move and look and look and look. Maybe it's okay for some who haven't been a webmaster for long, but for me, I'm tired of it. I just want a stable, reliable, fast host that I can stick with and worry about my clan rather than why my site is taking 10 minutes to load when it should take 2 seconds.

As for the size, it's well under 1 GB (thank god). I usually don't have the host migrate since a few times things have gone very wrong (not that I'm not willing to try again). I keep backups and I restore from them via FTP and the control panel.
    Past Hosts

As for the size, it's well under 1 GB (thank god). I usually don't have the host migrate since a few times things have gone very wrong (not that I'm not willing to try again). I keep backups and I restore from them via FTP and the control panel.
    I am not sure about those issues, but not all providers are the same

You will find that a lot of providers have different setups, different models, different permissions -- You will find you will run into a lot of issues where providers have different permissions around their setup, most providers can back up your site and then restore it without issues but there is always going to be that odd chance that something 'might' go wrong!

If you do your own backups and which is highly recommened then you really should not have a lot of issues, just bare in mind that problems can and do happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow-Sean View Post
    /scripts/pkgacct username will back the account up via SSH
    Actually /scripts/pkgacct is the same script that is used by the backup utility that users have access to inside of their cPanel. It would just be done by an administrator VIA ssh. There is no real advantage to this unless the user does not have the ability to generate full backups via their cPanel.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting LLC
    New shared plans for 2016! Check them out!
    Highly Available Shared, Premium, Reseller, and VPS
    http://www.mddhosting.com/

I believe that there are many web hosts suitable for your needs. I can say that plusplushosting service impressed by a lot - I am satisfied.. maybe their hosting solutions can be good for your needs.

It's best to check Shared Hosting Offers forum and make a good list of providers with realistic prices/packages and go from there.

A word to all, WordPress can be a very resource intensive application.

For some time WordPress MU was not allowed on many shared hosting systems because of its ability to use up the resources of a server. As of version 3.0 the MU functionality was rolled into the standard WordPress distribution.

You may want to think twice before saying that just any shared hosting will be fine.

One thing that must always be kept in mind when administering any dynamic website: if there is caching functionality, whether built-in or through plugins, use it!

Even on a mostly-empty VPS, I was able to get around .5-1 second faster loading times on WordPress, and this was with nothing but a single test post.