How to stop .html from showing on the end of pages...

Something i have been wondering for a while is how to stop my pages showing .html on the end of them.

For example if i had a page that related to cars, you may name the page cars.html. This means to get people to that page they would have to type www.yourdomain.com/cars.html to get to the page...

However it would be much better if it was just named cars, so the link would be www.yourdomain.com/cars

I have never really looked into it before, however my friend gave me a really nice little website that basically allows you to specify more 'friedly; urls.

All you have to do is specify each .html page that you have, then specify the 'friendly url', after this has been completed it generates a .htaccess file which you simply upload to the public web directory of your server (if you host allows .htaccess files)

Here is the website:
    http://searchfriendlyurls.com/

People probably already know about this, but i thought i would share it anyway

Have fun!
    Shared Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting
    █ 10 Day Money Back Guarantee
    7 Day FREE TRIAL - Click Here
    http://www.hydrode.com

Sometimes...with some host...you can make a subweb within the top level domain's folder and make pages that will look something like this:
    www.yourdomain.com/cars and not use http://cars.yourdomain.com

Sometimes you have to just make a folder within your top level domain (cars) and it will work as an extension

You kinda sorta have to experiment with it to see if either would work for you.

I built my youngest daughter an internet radio station site and used it like that until I purchased her a domain for it. She was 14 when I built her site and when I found out she was serious about it then I bought her domain and a hosting package. Now I work 10 jobs just to pay for her Shoutcast internet radio station lol
    Last edited by bruc; 03-28-2011 at 07:22 PM.

3. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!