Operating a VPS for reseller hosting

Hi, I'm looking into offering reseller hosting, and I was wondering if you guys would recommend a VPS in the beginning for this? If so, how would I go about setting up the VPS to allow reseller hosting?

My budget is up to $50 per month starting out, obviously as more orders come in I can raise this. I eventually plan to move up to a dedicated server once things get going good. Thanks!

If you really have absolutely zero idea how to start, just pick a handholdey fully managed provider.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    If you really have absolutely zero idea how to start, just pick a handholdey fully managed provider.
    I'm familiar with SSH, Cpanel, WHM, etc. I've just never worked with a VPS before and am unfamiliar with how to set it up for reseller hosting. I assume I wouldn't need anything like WHMphp or Zamfoo, but rather just set up the reseller ability in WHM?

any other help?

well.. if you are really looking to start with the VPS to offer reseller account then go for fully managed cloud based VPS solutions. There are lot more types of VPS you can check for , however a flexible VPS solutions will be the good options for you.
    || Eminds Infotech || 9th Year of Server Management Solutions ||
    || Server Management || 24x7 Technical Support || Cloud Management ||
    || 24x7 Live Chat Support || VPS Management || Server Migrations ||
    || https://www.24x7cloudservermanagement.com||

Quote Originally Posted by DBTV View Post
    I'm familiar with SSH, Cpanel, WHM, etc. I've just never worked with a VPS before and am unfamiliar with how to set it up for reseller hosting. I assume I wouldn't need anything like WHMphp or Zamfoo, but rather just set up the reseller ability in WHM?
    Yup, that's pretty much it. Zamfoo and WHMPHP are only needed if you want to offer master reseller accounts and the like, which i would highly not recommend doing on a VPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamson View Post
    Yup, that's pretty much it. Zamfoo and WHMPHP are only needed if you want to offer master reseller accounts and the like, which i would highly not recommend doing on a VPS.
    Well that's easy enough! What's a recommended size VPS to start out with for offering reseller hosting? I'm looking at KnownHosts VS2 with WHM/CPanel, RVskins, RVsitebuilder, and fantastico.

It's breakdown is:

Monthly Cost: $38.70

768 MB ram
    40GB diskspace
    2000 GB Bandwidth
    Managed VPS

Is this enough to start out powering 5 or so resellers with small disk space packages? Are there any recommendations to use for calculating safe overselling limits as well?

If you are just starting out, and have no idea how to setup a VPS for reseller, I'd say go with a good well known host. You can start with ample space and specs for about 1/2 of your named budget. Hostgator, Hawkhost, are a couple of reputable companies that do awesome reseller accounts, and give you pretty much everything you need to get the good business turn-keyed.
    This is the best signature in the world....Tribute!
    (It is not the best signature in the world, no. This is just a tribute)

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    If you are just starting out, and have no idea how to setup a VPS for reseller, I'd say go with a good well known host. You can start with ample space and specs for about 1/2 of your named budget. Hostgator, Hawkhost, are a couple of reputable companies that do awesome reseller accounts, and give you pretty much everything you need to get the good business turn-keyed.
    I already have been offering shared and reseller hosting, I'm just looking to get reseller hosting going on a separate VPS as well though. I've found out that I can just set it up through WHM without needing any of the extra scripts, now just am trying to figure out if the VS2 package at Knownhost is enough for me to get started.

768K, if you are just making it another server for WHM to push out to, should really do the trick...depending on what you allow your sold clients, of course. If they each get cPanel, you may need a little more, but, you can easily have KH upgrade you on a whim, should you start using all the allotted resources. In short, yes, if you don't have process hogs galore, a VPS is a good way to grow, up until you may need to put things on a dedicated (or just add more VPSs).
    I personally prefer multiple VPSs over 1 or two dedis any day. Divide and conquer!

With WHM, it's pretty easy to add the extra server via WHMs remote access key.

Quote Originally Posted by mugo View Post
    768K, if you are just making it another server for WHM to push out to, should really do the trick...depending on what you allow your sold clients, of course. If they each get cPanel, you may need a little more, but, you can easily have KH upgrade you on a whim, should you start using all the allotted resources. In short, yes, if you don't have process hogs galore, a VPS is a good way to grow, up until you may need to put things on a dedicated (or just add more VPSs).
    I personally prefer multiple VPSs over 1 or two dedis any day. Divide and conquer!

With WHM, it's pretty easy to add the extra server via WHMs remote access key.
    Yes that was my plan as well. I'd rather be able to spread clients across multiple VPS rather than having 1 dedicated server. I feel it's safer in case the server ever happened to crash, that way I would have less accounts down all at once.

Do you have any tips for calculating safe amounts of overselling? I do not plan to allow clients to oversell, however I would like to a small amount if needed.

It really depends heavily on what your customer cross-section on that server turns out to be, which is hard to gauge (unless you have many other servers and a good idea of your "normal".
    You can get away with overselling somewhat if you have mostly clients that heavily under-utilize their allotted resources, as opposed to having a few the push it to their limits each month. Going the VPS route, that will gain you some control to disperse and balance your resource hogging clients.
    A good way to kind of calculate...add about 15% of what it would be if you were to *not* oversell, then, when the server edges up on it's cap, you can tell by the real time usage if it can actually absorb more client accounts.
    If it can, all is well, you can squeeze a little more profit out...if NOT, then, what I do is turn around and divvy up the remaining amount between either all, or the top, customers on that box I want to stick around, as a "bonus".
    "Because we value your continued business, we are increasing your resource limits from X to XX, free of charge".
    Allows you to get some value out of that space either directly, or as a customer retention effort.
    Win-win, really.

Have you looked at maybe starting with a cloud machine running cpanel? that way you can start nice and small but scale indefinitely if business takes off, without the need to migrate your sites.

KnownHost offers a reseller program for VPS.

Code:
    http://www.knownhost.com/vip-program.html
    CAMMHosting.com - Premium Web Hosting Solutions
    Quality shared hosting & small business hosting.
    24/7 Support - 99.9% Uptime - 30 Day Guarantee