softlayer server down!!

Have a server with softlayer. It's been working "fine" until last week. It goes down at least twice a day every day! They always reboot the server and say they will investigate but never find anything! I have 800 websites/clients hosted on it and it's causing me REAL trouble.

I request to have a replacement server which as better specs and/or better price to reimburse my inconvenience. That's never the case. They only offer me what they have specials on their website. I don't think it's FAIR for the inconvenience that's caused by their hardware and not my fault. I will have to spend time to setup new server, migrate all the files, and reconfigure everything from scratch. For the time and money I will have to put in, I think I deserve and "better server" and/or "better price server".

Just because the server is going down, does not necessarily mean it is their fault.

With 800 websites, depending on the content, you could be experiencing OOM errors which will take down the server. In a situation like that, it is 100% NOT their issue to deal with.

If I were you, I would do my own investigation into why the server is going down, and not rely on them for the information. You may find it is their fault, you may find it is your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by brentpresley View Post
    Just because the server is going down, does not necessarily mean it is their fault.

With 800 websites, depending on the content, you could be experiencing OOM errors which will take down the server. In a situation like that, it is 100% NOT their issue to deal with.

If I were you, I would do my own investigation into why the server is going down, and not rely on them for the information. You may find it is their fault, you may find it is your fault.
    They thought the same in the beginning but finally they admitted it's not related to "server load". The server is top of the line quardcore server and it's only used for web server. They wanted to do hardware diagnosis but would take 4 hours. I can't afford to let the server go down for 4 hours.

If you cannot let them do their diagnostic procedure, you cannot fault them then.

Post up some logs, maybe someone here can find something you overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by hostseadog View Post
    They thought the same in the beginning but finally they admitted it's not related to "server load". The server is top of the line quardcore server and it's only used for web server. They wanted to do hardware diagnosis but would take 4 hours. I can't afford to let the server go down for 4 hours.
    Find another provider and move on ?!!?

Or move the drives to a different box? What OS are you running? What is the load like when the boxes crashes and needs to be rebooted?

If a provider can't find anything on the system causing the issue they usually resort to running diagnostics per process.

Quote Originally Posted by hostseadog View Post
    It's up to you to decide what is best for you, either have a 4 hour downtime during which SL may diagnose the source of the problem, or have a spontaneous reboots twice a day.

In any case it's not OK to blame SL before the source of the problem is discovered. Your issue may well be with your OS configuration or the load (i.e. as already mentioned OOM due to memory usage spikes). I'm not a big fan of SL/100tb/UK2, but lets be fair here.

Also if you can't afford a 4 hour of downtime, yet you are running all 800 websites on a single server than you are asking for a trouble to come. You should seriously consider changing your configuration.

Hire someone to look at your server. More than likely its your configuration that cannot handle the load. Until then don't blame SL. I didn't know SL sold you a managed box...how'd you pull that one off?

Quote Originally Posted by speckl View Post
    Hire someone to look at your server. More than likely its your configuration that cannot handle the load. Until then don't blame SL. I didn't know SL sold you a managed box...how'd you pull that one off?
    How anyone else pulses this off?

Step 1) Purchase a self-managed server.
    Step 2) Don't buy external management services.
    Step 3) When something goes wrong and you need management services just contact your provider and ask from them to do the work for you, free of charge.
    Step 4) If the provider refuses then threaten them with a bad publicity.
    Step 5) If the threats don't help show your provider you are not bluffing - go to forums like WHT and post reviews with titles like "<Provider name> - WORST SERVICE EVER".
    Step 6) Wait till your provider's representative reads your post, backs off, and sends somebody to do the management work you never paid for, for free.
    Step 6a) Read lame explanations of the said representative, why despite that they don't really have to, they will still do the work for you. Smile, drink bear.
    Step 7) After the work was done to your satisfaction post an update.

Quote Originally Posted by sysadmsrv View Post

Step 3) When something goes wrong and you need management services just contact your provider and ask from them to do the work for you, free of charge.
    Step 5) If the threats don't help show your provider you are not bluffing - go to forums like WHT and post reviews with titles like "<Provider name> - WORST SERVICE EVER".
    Step 6) Wait till your provider's representative reads your post, backs off, and sends somebody to do the management work you never paid for, for free.
    Step 6a) Read lame explanations of the said representative, why despite that they don't really have to, they will still do the work for you. Smile, drink bear.

I only agree with step 1.

That will just make your situation worst and sooner or later, your provider will just kick you out if you are a complainer person....

Besides, do you really know what is really the problem in the server?

OP: Work patiently with softlayer. Provide the logs so they can help you properly.

A server that is rebooting constantly can be a problem with hardware or software.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    I only agree with step 1.

That will just make your situation worst and sooner or later, your provider will just kick you out if you are a complainer person....

Besides, do you really know what is really the problem in the server?

OP: Work patiently with softlayer. Provide the logs so they can help you properly.

A server that is rebooting constantly can be a problem with hardware or software.
    They surely should, but for some reason they normally don't. Just watch all the Burst.Net cases of the customers expecting to get a full management at self-managed level price.

Do I know what is the source of the problem, and if it a hardware or a software? No, and I never said otherwise.

What I do know is however :

1) The OP doesn't know the reason either. Nor he hired someone who is able to check it or at least get any clues, before blaming it fully and exclusively on the hardware, and thus on the SL. Which is not OK.

That seems to be modus operandi of too many folks that choose not o pay for the management services - let's always blame the provider and in the worst case scenario he will troubleshoot the issue for us for free or at least find out the issue.

Note that if we spoke about some fully managed company, i.e. RackSpace, than of course that would be entirely different case.

2) The title of the post is misleading, as the server is NOT down.

3) The OP was offered a solution, to which he refused. As SL is only responsible for hardware and network the solution they offered is fair enough, and makes sense.

4) OP requested to receive a discount/free hardware upgrades, even though he is not sure what causes the issue, and if it's not his fault to begin with.

5) SL (nor any other company) is not obliged to give a customer a discount, nor free upgrades EVEN in case there is indeed a hardware failure(s), unless there is a SLA that states otherwise. There is no guarantee that the server hardware provided won't fail, as most hardware WILL fail sooner or later. There is only warranty to replace the faulty hardware with a working one.

This is especially true as the OP refused to the resolution offered by the SL, and thus gve them no option to test the server hardware independently, in order to see if indeed there is any issue with it or it's in a fully working order.

All in all, I think that SL, in that case, did nothing wrong and are fully right.
    Last edited by sysadmsrv; 03-27-2011 at 08:58 PM.

I doubt it is Softlayer causing this issues,

We currently use softlayer for our services and we don't have any type of problem's like this.

Some very simple administration forensics will tell you what happened.

The very basics in running a server...

Check dmesg, check messages, check sar, look at the console when its down on the Softlayer provided IP/KVM...

You can't blame SL if you don't know what the problem is.
    Steven Crothers
    No BS cloud engineer and Red Hat architect.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-Mark View Post
    I doubt it is Softlayer causing this issues,

We currently use softlayer for our services and we don't have any type of problem's like this.
    It may be, and it may be not. Just because your server(s) are fine doesn't mean that the OP's server is OK as well.

The point here is that OP must check it first, or let SL to diagnose to hardware to see if they find any issues.

Any chances of logs, maybe from syslog?
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Limited
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin / XenForo Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Quote Originally Posted by sysadmsrv View Post

Holy crap! You're giving them a playbook!? We are busy enough as it is with the ones who just stumble across those steps on their own! No playbook! I'm reporting your post... (joking)

So now we've got threads explaining how to run a public scam against an unmanaged provider. Outstanding.

I suppose that, out of good will, I should post the Provider's version of this list. Note, the Provider's List takes place after Step 4 of the Scammer's List, and only after all attempts at assisting the scammer have failed..

CounterStep 1) Fully audit the account in question. Do they have multiple accounts? Have they been known to ditch services without paying, only to open a new account and purchase again? Have they attempted this scheme before?

CounterStep 2) Prepare a kind, helpful public response. Re-touch issues that were mentioned in your support mediums, and be sure to apologize for the scammer's misunderstanding of what `unmanaged/self-managed` means. Request that the scammer continue to seek help via your support medium rather than cause a public stir.

CounterStep 3) Apologize that your service does not meet their needs, and have a full refund available. Explain that you will cover any fees (if applicable) for this refund, and that should they wish to accept this refund rather than continue to use your unmanaged service you will have it sent to them within two business days. Repeat your request that requests for support need to be done through your support medium, and not via public forums.

CounterStep 4) Be prepared for another public post about how horrible your service is, and that you're just trying to `get rid of` a problem rather than fix it. Have plenty of working examples on hand to show that other users are having no trouble with your unmanaged service. As they have doubtlessly either made unreasonable demands via your support system, or have ignored it altogether at this point, restate valid points from steps 2 and 3, and official withdraw from the thread, remarking that continuing the thread does not serve to help anyone.

CounterStep 5) At this point, you will either have someone ready to learn how to run the service on their own, or the scammer will be demanding the refund. In most cases, the service is fairly new, so refund fully. If they decide to wait two weeks before even asking for support, do a fair pro-rated refund. Apologize to the scammer/client that your services do not meet their expectations, and provide one or two recommendations on where they can try.

CounterStep 6) [Only necessary after refund] Be sure to make sufficient notes on this client's account, and add a payment blacklist if applicable. Inform your staff that the client was an intentional scammer, and is not to be permitted further services. If you are on friendly speaking terms with other providers, feel free to share your private experience with this person, so that they can make a better-informed decision should the scammer come to them for service.

Unfortunately, there is little safety against people like this. The best you can do is continue to offer the support promised, keep your cool in public mediums, and strive to be helpful even when you know someone is just out to ruffle you a bit. The end result will be ultimately good publicity for your company, as you have shown that you strove to met the needs of the client; and that you still compensated them when you could not. Furthermore, `trolls` of this type are fairly easy to spot. It does not take long at all for them to make a reputation, and quickly find themselves unable to obtain hosting from the primary legitimate companies.
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

With that type of clients you should be coloing because coloing allows YOU to control the hardware yes softlayer is a great server company but with 800 clients i guarantee you one of them is abusing that causing the crashes if i was you i'd move to a colo and get 2 to 3 servers to hold that many clients.

Quote Originally Posted by csupport View Post
    With that type of clients you should be coloing because coloing allows YOU to control the hardware yes softlayer is a great server company but with 800 clients i guarantee you one of them is abusing that causing the crashes if i was you i'd move to a colo and get 2 to 3 servers to hold that many clients.
    And pay for the servers and server's management?

Plus there won't be anyone to blame if something goes wrong with the server, nor try to get a free support from. I don't think so