Hi, I'm hoping someone else who has a server with 1and1hosting.com can test to see if they have the same problem I'm having.

I have two servers with 1and1, a virtual private server and a dedicated one. I'm trying to host customer websites on them, with the domain registration and email for those customer domains hosted on GoDaddy.

I'm having the same problem on both servers - I can't send email through GoDaddy's outgoing SMTP server (smtpout.secureserver.net). I've tested it using telnet, and this is what I get:

# telnet smtpout.secureserver.net 25
Connected to smtpout.secureserver.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

There's no delay during this - the "Connection closed by foreign host." comes back immediately. When I watch the TCP/IP dialog with Wireshark, I see an immediate FIN/ACK come in.

I get the exact same behavior if I try the other port numbers GoDaddy offers SMTP on (80, 465, 3535). I get it no matter which IP the smtpout.secureserver.net happens to resolve to (,,, or

If I telnet from my 1and1 servers to port 25 on any other SMTP server I can think of (including GoDaddy's incoming servers, such as smtp.secureserver.net), those work just fine.

Also, if I telnet to port 25 (or 80, 465, or 3535) on smtpout.secureserver.net from any machine other than my 1and1 servers, it works just fine.

So, it seems that the problem must be one of two things: 1) 1and1's firewall is blocking me from connecting out to GoDaddy's outgoing SMTP server, or 2) GoDaddy is blocking me from connecting in to their outgoing SMTP server from 1and1's IP addresses.

I've called support at both companies. Predictably, the first-level people who answer the phone are not even familiar with how to use telnet to troubleshooting SMTP communication issues. Since I can't get them to understand what the problem is, it's impossible to get them to dispatch a ticket to a higher level support person who might actually understand the issue and be able to help.

I'm pulling my hair out here. It seems my only option is to either switch to a different email host or to a different server host. But, I would love it if anyone who also has a 1and1 server could try telnet to port 25 on smtpout.secureserver.net and let me know what result you get. Maybe I'm just on a particular IP block that GoDaddy is blocking (my IP's are and, by the way).

Or, if you have any ideas on other ways I could get this resolved, that'd be great too.