What problems are you having exactly? Any specific error messages from the installer or in System Logs? I haven't actually installed 8 myself yet on 2008 R2 but it should be supported?!
Linux & Windows Hosting Expert - Lead Sales Engineer @ BlackMesh
Highly available enterprise cloud and physical hosting with 24x7x365 US based live support (IaaS/PaaS) FedRAMP Moderate, DISA Level 2, FISMA, PCI, HIPAA, and SSAE 16 certifications [email protected] -- 888-473-0854 x720 -- www.BlackMesh.com
As I recall, Smartermail uses it's own service running on it's own port so if you want webmail.domain.com to go directly to your Smartermail webmail you will need to create a webmail.domain.com site in IIS and place an index.html page in it's document root that redirects to the smartermail port.
If you have a more specific error I may be able to help.
By default SmarterMail will install and use it's own server for the web interface. It's very easy though to replace it and use IIS instead which is also recommended for security and performance. The default service is intended for those users who don't have IIS available.
1. From Add/Remove Programs, select SmarterMail and use the option to 'Change' the install. Remove the web server option.
2. Create your application pool in IIS for SmarterMail. Make sure to use .NET 4.0 for SmarterMail 8
3. Create your website in IIS and have it use the above application pool. Point the website to the SmarterMail MRS install folder. Verify, but off the top of my head it should be C:\Program Files\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\MRS
4. Add a host header if needed and/or bind the port to whatever you like. You can use port 80 or anything else available -- it's up to you.
5. Follow the SmarterTools online help file to set the appropriate anonymous permissions
I'm giving the rough overview... you should be comfortable in creating application pools, websites, adding bindings and what's involved with these steps. If not, you'll need to review and seek guides on how to do so.
Good luck -
Applied Innovations (www.appliedi.net)
Microsoft Gold Certified Hosting Partner, ASP.net Featured Host.
Specializing in Windows Hosting since 1999.