hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Looking for Web Hosting

Forum Jump

Looking for Web Hosting

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Looking for Web Hosting

Hi Guys, I would like to start operating my own Web Design Business as a Part-Time Job. I am looking to find a good, reliable hosting, ideally it is not expensive too. Mainly I will be working with PHP so Linux Server would be enough.

I was looking at Blue Host and Host Gator, I like their offers about the shared unlimited plan, so basically with $7 a Month I can host all the websites I want, but this seems to good to be true, because otherwise they wouldn't be selling VPS etc.

What do you guys think I should go for, any good Web Hosting companies you know of?

If you know any good hosting companies which are based in Europe, it is much better too.

Sponsored Links
Old
Elite Webmaster

If you're doing web design, you would probably be better off using a reseller account instead. This way you offer your clients their own cPanel account with their website design, and can manage them more easily and keep things more organized.

U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Old

Great Reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
If you're doing web design, you would probably be better off using a reseller account instead. This way you offer your clients their own cPanel account with their website design, and can manage them more easily and more organized.
What will the users be missing if I don't give them cPanel access? I can still give them FTP access without a reseller account if need be, right? I guess they won't need access to the database etc. I'm not sure if it's worth it giving my clients all the flexibility, might be better for me to handle everything + charge for the support.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryn_90 View Post
What will the users be missing if I don't give them cPanel access? I can still give them FTP access without a reseller account if need be, right? I guess they won't need access to the database etc. I'm not sure if it's worth it giving my clients all the flexibility, might be better for me to handle everything + charge for the support.
For startup it would be smarter if you have lesser startup costs, and see how it goes.
FTP access will be smart for them, most web hosting companies offer unlimited MySQL databases, so you can give them access to that too.

Tip: Charge for support after the 1st support ticket, people like that

And plus you can always upgrade a shared web hosting to a reseller account.

Old
Elite Webmaster

Quote:
Well, for starters, you won't be breaking your host's TOS. Most hosts will not allow you to resell your hosting account's resources if you're on a shared hosting account. Shared account addon domains are for webmasters/clients with multiple websites of their own, and not for anyone else. Offering your clients hosting after they purchase a design from you is considered reselling your accounts resources. Just think about that, and you will realize you're better off using a reseller account.

U.S.A Based & Operated Read Through Our Most F.A.Q's!

Old

Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostLeet View Post
Well, for starters, you won't be breaking your host's TOS. Most hosts will not allow you to resell your hosting account's resources if you're on a shared hosting account. Shared account addon domains are for webmasters/clients with multiple websites of their own, and not for anyone else. Offering your clients hosting after they purchase a design from you is considered reselling your accounts resources. Just think about that, and you will realize you're better off using a reseller account.
Another good point, I did not take this into consideration. I should check with the hosting company before hand then to make sure they allow this for example.

Old

reseller account is what you are looking for!

Last edited by Leeter; 03-26-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old
WHT Content Curator

Quote:
so basically with $7 a Month I can host all the websites I want, but this seems to good to be true, because otherwise they wouldn't be selling VPS etc.
I have no intention of derailing this thread. However, I do have to give credit to the OP for being smarter than the average bear.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noppix View Post
I have no intention of derailing this thread. However, I do have to give credit to the OP for being smarter than the average bear.
Hehe, Well started reading some of the Terms and Conditions, and luckily like some of the guys here pointed out you start realizing why. But at first glance you get fooled.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Trust me, don't give it to them EVER. They will nag you to death about something not working and when they logged in to try and fix it they screwed up something that you have no knowledge of fixing.

You could look into a reseller account that provides support to your clients. This may be best if you're not around a lot. Also, it's also nice when you're starting out.

However, all this is a mute point if your looking to get into the hosting business as well. Just get a managed VPS and grow from there.

Old

I agree with HostLeet.

Lets say you decide all you want to do is CMS sites for your customers, it's likely that eventually you'll setup enough sites as addon domains on a single shared account and one day, you're over the cpu/memory/process/DB/inode limit imposed by your host. With a reseller account, you're going to have these resources divided across multiple accounts, so you're less likely to cause a problem.

A reseller account looks more professional, and you can give each customer their own login, so you don't have to worry about emails from your customers every time they need an email address, or something else they can do in their own account.

cPanel is allegedly working on a tool to let you separate addon domains as their own accounts, but there's no telling when that will be released, or if the shared host you choose will decide to make use of that tool.

Old

good points guys, well i'm confident that after some time, I will switch to a reseller account, but I think for starters I'll get the Shared One until I have about 3-4 paying clients for hosting.

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by speckl View Post
Trust me, don't give it to them EVER. They will nag you to death about something not working and when they logged in to try and fix it they screwed up something that you have no knowledge of fixing.

You could look into a reseller account that provides support to your clients. This may be best if you're not around a lot. Also, it's also nice when you're starting out.

However, all this is a mute point if your looking to get into the hosting business as well. Just get a managed VPS and grow from there.
Any suggestions about such hosts? I'm sure Host Gator does not provide this.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

You need to go with at least reseller hosting, as everyone like to create email accounts their own with their own passwords, so you'll need to provide hosting control panel to your clients so that they can create email accounts as well as update website through control panel.

Check Offers section of WHT hopefully you'll find good resource, Good luck

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

WHT reseller offer

I thing each client will ask you about admin panel, so go with reseeler not shared hosting. Also you will broke TOS agreement if you take shared hosting and offer hosting to other.