VPS and DNS Setup - Newbie question

Hi There,

I run several sites, and instead of paying for several webhosts, i decided to go for a VPS.

I have a VPS running CentOS and Direct Admin. The VPS has 1 ip assigned to it.

I have done the following: (for testing purposes, i currently only have on IP, but I plan on "renting" another one over the next couple of days once I have all my issues figured out)

- My domain registered at godaddy has had two nameservers registered, NS1 and NS2 pointing at the IP Address of the VPS.

- My domain has it's nameservers set to the NS1 and NS2 I created.

The problem I am seeing now is that when i Ping NS1 and NS2, it does not resolve. Any domain that has it's nameservers set to these nameservers do not work either.

any help here would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Ash

you need 2 IP's for private dns AFAIK, e.g
    ns1.dot.com would resolve to XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1
    ns2.dot.com would resolve to XXX.XXX.XXX.XX2
    Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by ash2dust View Post
    The problem I am seeing now is that when i Ping NS1 and NS2, it does not resolve. Any domain that has it's nameservers set to these nameservers do not work either.
    In DirectAdmin, for the DNS records you have for your domain, check that you have "A" records for NS1 and NS2.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynD View Post
    you need 2 IP's for private dns AFAIK, e.g
    ns1.dot.com would resolve to XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1
    ns2.dot.com would resolve to XXX.XXX.XXX.XX2
    No, he don't need 2 IP's for that, single IP can do it, the problem is some where else.

Just a basic thing -- in addition to assigning the nameservers, did you add the nameservers as hosts at GoDaddy? I wasn't sure from your OP if you did that yet.

And FH-VM is correct -- you CAN have a VPS where both nameservers point to the same IP.
    Short Hills Design, LLC - Comprehensive Website and Internet Marketing Solutions for Small Businesses and Healthcare Providers
    *** WHT Members Take 10% OFF ***
    www.shorthillsdesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by rangy View Post
    Just a basic thing -- in addition to assigning the nameservers, did you add the nameservers as hosts at GoDaddy? I wasn't sure from your OP if you did that yet.

And FH-VM is correct -- you CAN have a VPS where both nameservers point to the same IP.
    Yes I forgot to mention that you need to add them as host in godaddy.

It just seems you don't have the records added correctly @ DirectAdmin for them to resolve or you didn't properly register them with GoDaddy.

-Shane.
    FusionNET Solutions
    OpenVZ & XEN VPS available in US & UK.
    IRC & Adult Allowed, RDNS Control, 24/7 Helpdesk, VPN Ready, Native IPv6 Ready!

Hi There,

Thank you for your advice so far. One of the issues was that the DNS Service (named) was not kicked off, and had to manually start that up.

Currently I am having some issues still. When i go to MYDOMAIN, I get a webpage that gives me the following message: Apache is functioning normally

When i go to directly to the directory: IPADDRESS/~iluvmusic the website shows up fine.

I am guessing I am still missing something in my directadmin or setup.

Any further ideas?

Thanks!