how about Fortinet Fortigate UTM

Hi,

i think i may need a firewall for all my servers,

i think about Fortinet Fortigate UTM,

do you have any experience with the brand ?

or do you suggest any other brand ?

in what situation,we need to replace to a new firewall ?

thanx

it seems Fortinet Fortigate UTM is not popular ? thanx

This is very good company and brand. We use it for our shared hosting servers and i can't say only good things.
    Advanced security from viruses and spam, works fast.
    Affordable custom Single/DUAL - Intel/AMD CPU servers EU | Configure
    Linux, Windows VPS in LT/UK/NL/USA | Get one now

Quote Originally Posted by DuomenuCentras View Post
    This is very good company and brand. We use it for our shared hosting servers and i can't say only good things.
    Advanced security from viruses and spam, works fast.
    im sorry, can i ask which one do you use ? thanx

Fortigate is a great firewall appliance maker, their CEO I believe if its the same guy was the one who actually created the Juniper Netscreens. Netscreen was its own entity that juniper acquired. Since the creator spun off and now created fortigate which does very very well, they are a much smaller company compared to cisco or juniper but hold their own against them.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Fortigate is a great firewall appliance maker, their CEO I believe if its the same guy was the one who actually created the Juniper Netscreens. Netscreen was its own entity that juniper acquired. Since the creator spun off and now created fortigate which does very very well, they are a much smaller company compared to cisco or juniper but hold their own against them.
    in my memory,i ever heard about the story,
    but im not sure how to choose a suitable one.

for IPS feature,is hardware performance more important ?
    for anti-virus,is newer IOS version more important ?

thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Spudstr View Post
    Yep - they are actually a great little box. We've got the Fortigate-110C's deployed at a few of our smaller colo setups and they work like a champ.
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

I have never used them myself, but heard good things about them from numerous people I trust.

For a simple, straightforward UTM they are very well respected in the security industry, I've not heard a bad word said against them.

But it all depends what you are looking to achieve.

UTMs are great for relatively low end security needs, they are designed to run unattended and without a security analyst monitoring the output. And from what you say, this is probably the right solution for you.

For higher end security, eg for PCI compliant hosting, you really need higher level security than this - which would include an expert human analyst monitoring the events detected by your IDS & Log Monitoring devices. This is where security starts to get expensive (appliances, devices, design time, monitoring time etc), and where managed security service providers can help a lot. Happy to advise if that would help anyone.
    Advania Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
    High Spec Colocation and Dedicated Servers, powered by cheap, abundant and 100% renewable energy.
    Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com

Hi,as your experience,how long such UTM will die and need to replace a new one ? thanx

Hi,i find the UTM offer 3DES feature,can anyone tell me in what situation i need to open the feature ? thanx

Your replacement cycle is likely to be dictated by features and performance, rather than by the box dying, similar to most (well-made) servers.

3DES (or Triple DES) is an encryption technology, it can be used for creating a secure VPN, for example.
    Advania Thor Data Centre Iceland - www.thordc.com
    High Spec Colocation and Dedicated Servers, powered by cheap, abundant and 100% renewable energy.
    Enterprise grade hosting, ISO27001 accredited for security, and all at fantastic pricing.

brian.rae@thordc.com