Don't use Eart*****

Just wanted to stress how much Eart***** sucks as a hosting service. They have my site pointed at the wrong IP address so no one can get to it, every time they try they get a 404 error. I've been testing it too and keep getting website not found, URL doesn't exist, domain hostname invalid etc. This has been going on for days.

I called support twice and they tell me there is no problem...While I was talking to them today I did a search and my website is gone from the results (it used to be 1st). I told them that and they said they "can't be responsible for 3rd party search engines" I pointed out the reason it's gone is because the search engines can't find it. They repeated "they're not responsible for 3rd party blah blah blah"

I just switched to a new host a couple of hours ago, can't wait to call Eart***** back and tell them I solved the problem.

Generally companies that provide an ISP as their main service, provide overpriced and unreliable web hosting services. Not sure why that is, but that's just the way it has always been. In any case, sorry to hear about your problems with Eart*****. Have you already found a new web host?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Yes, they are way overpriced - hosting, all things considered is fairly cheap, I didn't mind paying more if I received good service and things ran smoothly but that's not what happened. I just paid more. It's beginning to look like a lot more.

I'm giving HostGator a try, I talked to them on the phone and it was refreshing to talk to someone that knew about web sites, Eart***** support was pretty aggravating.

Thanks

Wasn't Eart***** a free ISP years ago? It would be a little like signing on with Juno or AOl. These are companies who lost their niche a while back and its amazing that they are still around at all.
    I do still have a website on Angelfire, It was the second site I ever designed (the first was on yahoo/geocities) and one day I may put a little effort into revamping it.
    Hostgator is a great company and the only reason I'm no longer with them is a became a reseller for another company. Their customer service and tech support are second to none.
    www.websitemagick.com "Add a little Magick to your Website"
    IwebNews.net

Did you choose them because you use them as your ISP or just decided they were the best for your web site? For the price they charge, you could've gone with a host like medialayer.com and receive much better treatment and support.

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Generally companies that provide an ISP as their main service, provide overpriced and unreliable web hosting services. Not sure why that is, but that's just the way it has always been. In any case, sorry to hear about your problems with Eart*****. Have you already found a new web host?
    I've opinion that if their ISP started costing them more, they must tell their clients and ask them to pay more so that they can give stable services.

this is not a way that they are doing, and keeping some ones site down for no reason.

and I guess they might be giving an un-assigned IP to OP.

Quote Originally Posted by AFTC Radio View Post
    I'm giving HostGator a try, I talked to them on the phone and it was refreshing to talk to someone that knew about web sites, Eart***** support was pretty aggravating.

Thanks
    Hopefully it works good for you.

you should try a new host for your websites, there are several companies out there but the key to success is to avoid offers looking too good to be true, or like Unlimited Hosting.. :-)

Always, try to experience the live chat before purchasing so you can get a glimpse of what you will get !
    █ l Host Monsterz Pvt Ltd • Superb Support Network • DES 64 bit Secured Network
    l Linux Shared/Reseller Hosting • Virtual Server • Dedicated Server • cPanel®
    █ l Nginx • Softaculous • Fantastico • RVSite Builder • WHMCS • 24x7 Available Server Admin
    l Premium Managed VPS • Reliable & Sustainable • Instant Setup • Raid Drives

Quote Originally Posted by hostmonsterz View Post
    you should try a new host for your websites, there are several companies out there but the key to success is to avoid offers looking too good to be true, or like Unlimited Hosting.. :-)

Always, try to experience the live chat before purchasing so you can get a glimpse of what you will get !
    I would recommend a live chat as well (a true color)

Thanks everyone, I used it because it was my ISP, back then cable was unavailable in my area and they were the only DSL provider. I was unhappy with them for that too-my connection got disconnected and they blamed the phone co. and the phone co. blamed them-neither one would send someone out-I cancelled the service but kept the hosting because back then I didn't know much and thought that switching was too complicated.

I also thought that being a large company Eart***** would be more secure, stable etc.

The problem with the URL address came when I changed the server to a Unix server from a Window server. They left both addresses up so when people tried to go to the site their browsers wouldn't know which one to go to. I did a check yesterday and it still was pointing to the Windows server (it specifically said Windows server). I called them and they told me it was working fine, they didn't want to listen to me. Their service person kept trying to tell me I was wrong since she could see the site. But the way it was set up some people could, but a lot more couldn't. As I mentioned it was dropped from the search engines because they couldn't find it.

I got the new host set up today and when I called Eart***** to cancel they asked why and I told them they gave bad service and were overcharging me, they then offered me a discount which really made me angry, this showed they were overcharging me. I had the account for years, if they could give a discount that easily I should have already been receiving it.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

Thanks everyone, I used it because it was my ISP, back then cable was unavailable in my area and they were the only DSL provider. I was unhappy with them for that too-my connection got disconnected and they blamed the phone co. and the phone co. blamed them-neither one would send someone out-I cancelled the service but kept the hosting because back then I didn't know much and thought that switching was too complicated.

I also thought that being a large company Eart***** would be more secure, stable etc.

The problem with the URL address came when I changed the server to a Unix server from a Window server. They left both addresses up so when people tried to go to the site their browsers wouldn't know which one to go to. I did a check yesterday and it still was pointing to the Windows server (it specifically said Windows server). I called them and they told me it was working fine, they didn't want to listen to me. Their service person kept trying to tell me I was wrong since she could see the site. But the way it was set up some people could, but a lot more couldn't. As I mentioned it was dropped from the search engines because they couldn't find it.

I got the new host set up today and when I called Eart***** to cancel they asked why and I told them they gave bad service and were overcharging me, they then offered me a discount which really made me angry, this showed they were overcharging me. I had the account for years, if they could give a discount that easily I should have already been receiving it.

Thanks for all the input everyone.
    Retention discounts are standard practice, and Eart***** is really just a huge reseller of other ISPs (like TWC, Brighthouse, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by quantumphysics View Post
    Retention discounts are standard practice
    I understand that, it doesn't make me feel any better. It would be embarassing to admit how much I was paying them for additional things too. Oh well...

Eart***** service told me it would take up to 72 hours to change the nameserver, I looked at my site and right now (after about 4 hours) it's gone with only the Eart***** hosting info (it's parked). I was still able to log into my control panel and it says: Repoint: parkeddomain.eart*****.biz

Is this normal? I understand them taking the site down but don't understand why it's parked.

Well after being offline for a almost a day I called back and asked why they parked it. I told them I honestly don't know the process but why would you immediately take my site down yet wait to change the nameserver? I asked how much more difficult is it to change the nameserver then to park it, he didn't really answer my question but apologized and said that they would change the nameserver within 3 hours.

Success!

After I called Eart***** again they changed the nameserver pretty quickly (finally), I've been running tests (header, 404 checker etc.) they're all coming up good.

I was wondering a bit, if before when I was testing it that perhaps the tests were wrong. Now that they're working fine under the new host it just shows more evidence that Eart***** was pointing my URL to the wrong address.

Success!

After I called Eart***** again they changed the nameserver pretty quickly (finally), I've been running tests (header, 404 checker etc.) they're all coming up good.

I was wondering a bit, if before when I was testing it that perhaps the tests were wrong. Now that they're working fine under the new host it just shows more evidence that Eart***** was pointing my URL to the wrong address.
    Even though everything is now working fine for you, I strongly suggest moving your actual domain name away from eart***** and to an actual domain registrar like namecheap (might save you some future headaches).

Also, if you do not mind me asking we did you end up going with for hosting?

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

I was planning on doing it later because it doesn't expire until December but now that you bring it up it does make sense to take care of it now. Thanks for pointing it out.

I went with HostGator. The transition on their part went smooth. The only thing thing that gives me pause is that as some people mentioned their unlimited hosting has restrictions on usage/cpu etc. In a sense I hope my site becomes popular enough that that would become a problem. Then I guess I would have to change plans but that's not that big of a deal.

I was planning on doing it later because it doesn't expire until December but now that you bring it up it does make sense to take care of it now. Thanks for pointing it out.

I went with HostGator. The transition on their part went smooth. The only thing thing that gives me pause is that as some people mentioned their unlimited hosting has restrictions on usage/cpu etc. In a sense I hope my site becomes popular enough that that would become a problem. Then I guess I would have to change plans but that's not that big of a deal.
    Not a problem, I would definitely take care if that transfer sooner than later. I dont think there is anything worse than losing your domain name or having your domain name held hostage by an incompetent company (it happens more often than you think).

As far as HG is concerned, they are probably one of the better "unlimited" providers. However these days you kind of have to put companies that claim to offer unlimited services in a separate category (apart from the ones that dont).

With that being said, im sure anything is better than earth-link at this point and I am a firm believer that if its not broke, why fix it? If HG is working for you and your site is loading fine, then I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just be aware that your site can outgrow a shared web hosting environment (regardless of what HG claims to offer) at which point your account will be suspended. I'd just keep a close tab on your usage..

Hi, I work with the Web Hosting product at Eart*****. I'm sorry about the problem you had. It's hard to tell exactly what happened. I realize it's probably too late, but feel free to email me any details or questions to srcurrie@eart*****.com

We'd obviously like to make sure we don't repeat any issues and learn from what happened.

Thanks,

-Stephen

I thought eart***** was just an ISP and not a very good one at that.

Glad to see your willing to help, even if it is to late, shows a company cares about retention, if they got somebody browsing these forums.