Thread: VPS vs Shared

VPS vs Shared

I have a sucky shared hosting (justhost.com) account. It is slow, goes down often..etc

I can get VPS for an attractive price these days, but besides the fact that you get to control your own server..etc, isn't VPS essentially a shared hosting type of thing? I mean if its not a dedicated server, isn't it shared then? I guess, I want to know what are the fundamental advantages of VPS over shared hosting. Would my sites generally faster?

I appreciate you reading my post and responding to it.

If the vps seller is overselling almost like shared hosting

How busy is your website?

If you want to compare justhost's shared with vps then VPS is very very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Atjeu-Damir View Post
    How busy is your website?
    I have several sites with not a lot of traffic. Even with little traffic my sites have been loading very slow sometimes. The loading speed is very spotty with shared.

It would be great if someone could recommend a reliable vps for me; not a scammish vps deal. I know on google you can find vps for $5/m, those deals sound fishy to me.

There is nothing to compare .

Dedicated resources.
    ROOT Access.
    Much Faster Than Shared Hosting.
    You can install what ever you want on it!

If you can afford it, then get it. It's definitely worth it.

- Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by bgbs View Post
    I have several sites with not a lot of traffic. Even with little traffic my sites have been loading very slow sometimes. The loading speed is very spotty with shared.

It would be great if someone could recommend a reliable vps for me; not a scammish vps deal. I know on google you can find vps for $5/m, those deals sound fishy to me.
    Control Panel? Managed or Unmanaged (im guessing managed)? Budget? Space and Bandwidth?

- Daniel

VPS price depend on RAM,B.W,Space and control panel (Some time location if have more then one location)...

Can you recommend

Quote Originally Posted by WaQas View Post
    If you want to compare justhost's shared with vps then VPS is very very good.
    Can you recommend some good vps?

Can you recommend some good vps?
    What is your requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    Control Panel? Managed or Unmanaged (im guessing managed)? Budget? Space and Bandwidth?

- Daniel
    Budget would be about $15-25/m
    What is managed and unmanaged?

According to your budget... you can get

Est.
    RAM: 512MB Dedicated, 1GB Burst
    Bandwidth : 1 TB
    With Cpanel/WHM
    Cost: $25/month

You can find any where in this price.. its rough idea.. use search to find deal.. may b you find better then it..

Budget would be about $15-25/m
    What is managed and unmanaged?
    Basically, if it's unmanaged and you have a problem with configuring something, cPanel, etc the host most likely will not help you. If you need a module installed you are on your own.

With managed, the hosting company will basically help you with most things that you need done other than 3rd party scripts, debugging etc..

- Daniel

Ok,is this a good deal for the budget? And do you know any realiable hosting for this price?

If your budget is around $40 per month then go for a vps if not stick with shared as your issue is not your CPU usage, your current issue is a down time with your current provider simply find a new stable one or possibly ask your current host to move you to a new server.

Reason why i say your budget would need to be roughly $40.00 per month for a decent vps with cPanel and figure auto installers, site builder etc...
    〓〓 RackNerd LLC - Introducing Infrastructure Stability
    〓〓 Dedicated Servers, Private Cloud, DRaaS, Colocation, VPS, DDoS Mitigation, Shared & Reseller Hosting
    〓〓 www.linkedin.com/in/dustincisneros/
    〓〓 My fancy email dustin@racknerd.com

I can get VPS for an attractive price these days, but besides the fact that you get to control your own server..etc, isn't VPS essentially a shared hosting type of thing? I mean if its not a dedicated server, isn't it shared then?
    You have it exactly right. Control is the advantage of VPS (root access) but you're still sharing resources and subject to many of the same disadvantages as regular shared hosting, eg. overselling / overloading by the provider, resource-abuse by other users.

I guess, I want to know what are the fundamental advantages of VPS over shared hosting. Would my sites generally faster?
    It depends entirely on which shared plan and which VPS, but "generally" I'd say no, at least if you're looking at the same price-point and particularly if you need a managed plan - which you will if you've no experience in server management. Around $25 will get you a quality high-end shared plan or a low-end managed VPS - I'd be betting on the shared plan being faster.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

VPS will be more effective than the shared hosting package. A cloud based VPS solutions will be good for you which can be scalable as per the requirement of the resources.
    || 24x7CloudServerManagement | Server Management & Technical Support ||
    || Hosting Infrastructure & Customer Service Mangement 24x7 | Cpanel Server Management ||
    || https://www.24x7cloudservermanagement.com ||

Ok,is this a good deal for the budget? And do you know any realiable hosting for this price?
    It is quite common at this price range, you can easily get 512MB ~ 1GB RAM VPS. It just that hardly to compare "reliable" with "price" in this case.
    Even reputable host will have downtime.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

One thing to note is Daniel from TeamVPS has responded, and he can not say because of site regulations, but I can...

http://www.tmzvps.com you will find great service, great support, and a nice and quick setup.

One thing I did not notice anyone mention, that with a vps solution you can setup as many sites as you would like, and not have to pay for each one. So depending on the number of sites you have if you are not using subdomains for one main site that you are paying for, then you could also save money.

As was said, you get root access, control to what is installed, etc.

Dedicated resources.
    On a VPS - Not really

Much Faster Than Shared Hosting.
    More often then not a vps will run at the same or worse performance as typical shared hosting if setup/managed by an inexperienced user.

I can get VPS for an attractive price these days, but besides the fact that you get to control your own server..etc, isn't VPS essentially a shared hosting type of thing?
    Traditional shared hosting is where a server is split into multiple users in a way fully managed and controlled by your host.

A VPS is the same thing except the environment is fully managed and controlled by you (and your host will do it for you too if you have a managed vps effectively giving you an expensive glorified shared hosting account if you have a managed vps and are the only person using it).

With great power comes great responsibility. If you aren't familiar with managing your own server you shouldn't get an unmanaged vps.

I have a sucky shared hosting (justhost.com) account. It is slow, goes down often..etc
    And therein lies your problem. You have an unlimited hosting account from a host that clearly is oversold (unlimited by definition is oversold) and it performs poorly. If you pick out an oversold sucky vps you will have the same problem.

My advise to you would be get a non-oversold hosting account with a host that doesn't sell unlimited everything accounts.
    Last edited by ramnet; 03-26-2011 at 03:23 AM.
    RAM Host -- USA Premium & Budget Linux Hosting
    █ Featuring Powerful cPanel Shared Hosting
    █ & Premium Virtual Dedicated Servers
    Follow us on Twitter

VPS will be better than shared but it should not be over sold. If your sites have good number of visitors and use more CPU used then should move on VPS. You can continue with JustHost as well if they offer you cheap VPS service.