We are new customers of KnownHost and are configuring our VPS. We would like to hear suggestions for the best recommendations for configuring the server for both incoming mail (reducing Spam) and outgoing mail (properly authencating our identity so that we are not blacklisted by AOL, Yahoo, etc.) We have an opt-in member e-mail list (PHPlist) and a discussion forum.
For outgoing mail, we have:
(1) Enabled DomainKeys for signing outgoing mail
(2) Set up an SPF record for the server
For incoming mail, we tried enabling DomainKeys to verify incoming mail, however, it seemed that incoming legitimate mail was blocked (mail failure errors) so we disabled this feature. Whatever is implemented, we don’t want legimitate mail blocked.
It looks like Plesk 10 has the following options…
- “Switch on SPF spam protection” with various options
- “Switch on spam protection based on DNS blackhole lists“ with a box to enter DNS zones for DNSBL service
- “Switch on server-wide SpamAssassin spam filtering”
- “Switch on server-wide greylisting spam protection”
Please let us know what settings you recommend and a description as to why from your experience.
Your basically using the same setup as us. You really can't do to much for outgoing mail from what you've already done, but you can do a lot when it comes to incoming spam. I would suggest tweaking your SA rules, as SA is a great tool to use.