Question Need suggestions on Equipments

Hi All,

First time poster here, and long time reader of this forum

Going straight to the point, my managed/semi-managed hosting business is at a turning point due to acquiring good sized customer, and my upstream possibly going out of business!

The CEO/President of the company offered myself to take over Force10 E300, but I can not justify myself purchasing such a beast (for $$$$$)

Currently within the network, I have following equipments.

x2 Force10 E300 Router (**This will be taken away from me soon**)
    x19 Cisco 2960 24/48 Ports mix and match (Connected via fiber)
    x480 Servers (mostly 1U, 10Mbps customers)

Total bandwidth usage:
    95%tile : 1.28Gbps
    Peak : 1.89Gbps

I am not a network engineer and would truly appreciate if pros can lead me to a right product. I did look at Cisco 6503-e but after everything, it's just out of my price range... My budgets are around $10K.

I also am considering about acquiring 2x bandwidth provider and acquire my own ASN.

My only concerns are not being able to provide my friends/customers with right products and services... Loans are not an option as I just put a huge deposit to build out a second cage for racks to be built.

You can find a lot in the used market that will work for you around the $10K mark (and even way under it). I would normally suggest a Juniper, but it looks like you really need more of a core switch. A 6500-series chassis would work fine and they are very inexpensive used. If you don't need full routes, you could start out with a SUP720-3B (non-XL) version and take carrier routes only from your two future providers. At your bandwidth levels, I think you could get by with a WS-6724-SFP or similar line card and be perfectly OK. You could get it all (and probably even a spare SUP) for your budget.

If you don't need that many BGP routes, save a bunch of money and look at a Juniper EX3200 or EX4200. It will easily handle your bandwidth requirements and they are powerful little boxes. They make a fiber-only version of the EX4200.
    iCall Carrier Services - Carrier-grade VoIP services from a licensed CLEC - http://carriers.icall.com
    Domestic termination and origination, toll-free origination, A-Z International termination, dedicated servers, and colocation in our wholly-owned datacenter
    Real-time ordering via our control panel or XML-based API with over 20,000 numbers in stock

Quote Originally Posted by voipcarrier View Post
    You can find a lot in the used market that will work for you around the $10K mark (and even way under it). I would normally suggest a Juniper, but it looks like you really need more of a core switch. A 6500-series chassis would work fine and they are very inexpensive used. If you don't need full routes, you could start out with a SUP720-3B (non-XL) version and take carrier routes only from your two future providers. At your bandwidth levels, I think you could get by with a WS-6724-SFP or similar line card and be perfectly OK. You could get it all (and probably even a spare SUP) for your budget.

If you don't need that many BGP routes, save a bunch of money and look at a Juniper EX3200 or EX4200. It will easily handle your bandwidth requirements and they are powerful little boxes. They make a fiber-only version of the EX4200.
    Thank you for your advise! I will actually look into EX4200 as I know few people who can get me a good discount on Juniper products.
    Just off from curiosity, do you have any suggestion on where to go look for used 6503-e chassis for good price?

Quote Originally Posted by alwayshappy View Post
    Thank you for your advise! I will actually look into EX4200 as I know few people who can get me a good discount on Juniper products.
    Just off from curiosity, do you have any suggestion on where to go look for used 6503-e chassis for good price?
    For your budget, and if you have the space, get a regular 6506 or 6509 chassis with the high-speed fan tray. You'll save a bunch of money and can always upgrade later.
    iCall Carrier Services - Carrier-grade VoIP services from a licensed CLEC - http://carriers.icall.com
    Domestic termination and origination, toll-free origination, A-Z International termination, dedicated servers, and colocation in our wholly-owned datacenter
    Real-time ordering via our control panel or XML-based API with over 20,000 numbers in stock

I concur with voipcarrier you can easily get a 6506 or 6509 w/ 2xSUP720-3B for < $10k easy. The EX4200 is also a good choice, there's also some good foundry/brocade gear out there that could satisfy the need for aggregation of those FO connections along with handle your core.

They're old but you could run some BigIrons for the core/FO agg, you could pickup two full populated to your needs probably for under $10k.

Are you going to be using a single upstream moving forward or multihoming? Will you be doing BGP?

The Juniper EX4200 are solid switches and they stack quite nicely. The only issue with them is their BGP license is almost the same price as a single unit but you only need to buy licenses for the switch elected the routing engine and the switch elected as the backup (if it exists).

I noticed a mention that your 2960s are connected via fiber, are you intending to stay that way or is moving to copper uplinks feasible?

Quote Originally Posted by RoryErickson View Post

The Juniper EX4200 are solid switches and they stack quite nicely. The only issue with them is their BGP license is almost the same price as a single unit but you only need to buy licenses for the switch elected the routing engine and the switch elected as the backup (if it exists).
    The license is only needed if you need to contact JTAC and get support on the feature. You can fully use BGP on the EX series switches without the BGP license.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Suds View Post
    The license is only needed if you need to contact JTAC and get support on the feature. You can fully use BGP on the EX series switches without the BGP license.
    Testing on JunOS 10.0S1.1 shows it won't actually work unless you install the key file.