Newbie at dedicated servers

Hi all

First off, I am very new to servers and hosting etc. I usually use shared, but that no longer meets my needs.

I have purchased a computer server, which I believe has enough specs to host what I want, however I am stuck on the software and OS Side.

I dont know if I should go with windows or linux, my experience and knowledge with linux is very minimal (I cant even install a piece of software "ISPConfig3"), my experience with windows is greater, but not good with the windows server operating system (Specifically 2008) is there a operating system anyone can recommend that would be easier to troubleshoot, and of course allow me to install control panels for managing email setups and health etc?

Secondly, this is the harder part, I have a domain and I need to setup my server to connect the nameservers with, I dont know how to do this?

any help would be greatly appreciated. sorry if this is a little hard to understand, if it is I will re-write

Thanks

Depending on your needs, if you will only use php/mysql, then linux is better.

If you want asp/asp.net/mssql, better go for windows.

But then, you need to make sure you get a fully managed server so you do not have to worry about software installation.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

I personally prefer CentOS (Linux) as the OS.
    It will be much easier to manage if you just want to use hosting.
    You can try many free hosting panels. cPanel is the most widely used and easy. You get ready made OS templates which will get you started ASAP.
    Just ask your DC to install it for you.
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone

Linux with cPanel is good.
    Use them and you will have no issues in future.

I beg to differ for someone without experience in either OS, Windows will definitely be alot more novice admin friendly.

You might want to consider to get a management company to deal with the server. Security holes will get your server rooted within days.

Depending no your budget you can get a fully managed system to start with. If you were to go with cPanel, which I would recommend since you dont know command line, there is a company www.totalserversolutions.com that will do an awesome job managing the server for you for $75 per month.

If you dont know Linux you should probably get a VPS for a month or so to learn you way around before you put your live site on a server you dont know how to use.
    Steve Eschweiler- Hivelocity- Director of Operations
    Bare Metal Servers. Colocation. Private Cloud.
    Customers in over 130 countries. Privately owned and operated data centers.
    Limited Supply Outlet Server Specials

I would recommend CentOS with Cpanel (if you can afford it).

There is lot of documentation in google, etc. regarding managing server running CentOS (+Cpanel)

Many people here in the forum would be able to help you as well.

Hope you make right decision!

I dont really want to have a company managing my server, Ideally i want to be able to do it myself, and learn about how everything works.

its a hosting environment for a windows-based product myself and a team of guys are working on, im going to be installing quite some stuff to it, as it wont just be hosting our website and downloads, but like the file storage, bug trackers, forums, teamspeak server and etc

So im taking it linux would be best?

I would recommend linux (CentOS), as i said, there is a lot of documentation here in forum and \ or google.

Good luck!

Thank you all, your help and support is most appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by robert351 View Post
    I dont really want to have a company managing my server, Ideally i want to be able to do it myself, and learn about how everything works.
    Can you do the rest of the internet a favor and hire a company one-time to at least fix the security side of your server?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert vd Boorn View Post
    Can you do the rest of the internet a favor and hire a company one-time to at least fix the security side of your server?
    I would say your overreacting, he wouldn't really be targeted for the majority of uses, meaningless server exploitation isn't something that is practiced upon much.

I recommend spending some months getting to grips with Linux, you may find this Ironic but the documentation on managing Linux is much more plentiful compared to documentation on managing Windows.

Give it a couple months or weeks depending on how fast you learn and you will soon start to realise that command line is where its really at!

Having a managed host is beneficial but it won't get you anywhere in the long run, I recommend learning at first.

Good luck and if you need any help feel free to message me for some contact information.

Quote Originally Posted by Atjeu-Damir View Post
    I would recommend CentOS with Cpanel (if you can afford it).

There is lot of documentation in google, etc. regarding managing server running CentOS (+Cpanel)

Many people here in the forum would be able to help you as well.

Hope you make right decision!
    +1 for CenOS with cPanel. As a second option, CentOS with DirectAdmin also does a great job and DirectAdmin takes less resources, as well as being cheaper

vote for Cpanel n centos.maybe u can order on data cetnre coz many data centre offer cheap cpanel license

Many do, thats right.

Cpanel is easy to use, you can keep ur server up2date, etc.

Tons tons of documentation in forums, google.

Good luck!

Remember though that cPanel doesn't do everything. You still need to secure & harden your server and keep it up to date when patch's are released etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WLH-G View Post
    I would say your overreacting, he wouldn't really be targeted for the majority of uses, meaningless server exploitation isn't something that is practiced upon much.
    Put on a random domain and watch the apache logs. From the first week you will have over 40 PHPMyAdmin attempts alone.

linux with cpanel and centos is much better you can go ahead with your this and reliable.