Thoughts on GotHost (or others)

Good day, all!

I would like to change from my current web host to another that offers more stability, uptime and performance for what I would like to do. I really don't want to spend more than $120/yr.

I need to be able to run about 3 WordPress installations (under 3 separate domains) with some lightweight forum software (e.g. bbPress, PunBB, myBB).

After browsing the threads, I came across recommendations such as MDDHosting, StableHost, NinjaLion, HawkHost and GotHost. GotHost stuck out because they offer VPS hosting at prices comparable to shared hosting. Here are my questions:

1. What is your experience with GotHost (if any), especially if you have used their Tier 1 VPS plan?
    2. In your opinion, would GotHost's Tier 1 VPS plan be sufficient to run what I have in mind?
    3. I am accustomed to the cPanel frontend. Is this included with GotHost or does this have to be installed separately?

If you would go with another host in this situation, I would really like to hear your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

This --> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...30&postcount=7

He is probably using them.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1986 View Post
    Good day, all!

I would like to change from my current web host to another that offers more stability, uptime and performance for what I would like to do. I really don't want to spend more than $120/yr.

I need to be able to run about 3 WordPress installations (under 3 separate domains) with some lightweight forum software (e.g. bbPress, PunBB, myBB).

After browsing the threads, I came across recommendations such as MDDHosting, StableHost, NinjaLion, HawkHost and GotHost. GotHost stuck out because they offer VPS hosting at prices comparable to shared hosting. Here are my questions:

1. What is your experience with GotHost (if any), especially if you have used their Tier 1 VPS plan?
    2. In your opinion, would GotHost's Tier 1 VPS plan be sufficient to run what I have in mind?
    3. I am accustomed to the cPanel frontend. Is this included with GotHost or does this have to be installed separately?

If you would go with another host in this situation, I would really like to hear your opinion.

Thanks in advance.
    I've never heard of them, however a common phrase used here on WHT is you get what you pay for. Just by taking a loot at some of their web hosting plans, it does not look like that pricing is sustainable. Which leads me to believe they either have no customers or are overselling their servers.

If you want my advice, I'd spend a little more money and go with one of the more reputable providers here on WHT.

By the way, are you looking for a managed or unmanaged VPS?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Thanks for reminding me. I am aware of overselling, especially in the shared hosting arena.

Hmmm... I didn't think about unmanaged vs. managed until you pointed it out. I'm not comfortable administrating a Linux server, so I guess GotHost is not for me. A managed VPS would be so much better.

Anyway, I believe I will stick with a shared hosting upgrade - perhaps MDDHosting.

Thanks for reminding me. I am aware of overselling, especially in the shared hosting arena.

Hmmm... I didn't think about unmanaged vs. managed until you pointed it out. I'm not comfortable administrating a Linux server, so I guess GotHost is not for me. A managed VPS would be so much better.

Anyway, I believe I will stick with a shared hosting upgrade - perhaps MDDHosting.
    Well if you are looking for someone dependable and dont want to pay more than $120.00 per year, your definitly going to want to stay in the shared web hosting category.

Just out of curiosity, who are you currently using and what is your current monthly bandwidth/diskspace usage?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics

Quote Originally Posted by FernGullyGraphics View Post
    Well if you are looking for someone dependable and dont want to pay more than $120.00 per year, your definitly going to want to stay in the shared web hosting category.
    Yes.

Just out of curiosity, who are you currently using and what is your current monthly bandwidth/diskspace usage?
    Current host is WPWebHost on the Freedom Plan. They have good support and features. It's just that when I try to run 2 WordPress installations (and soon 3) I start to notice a bit of a slowdown.

Disk space usage hasn't hit 100MB as yet, but that might increase with future projects. Bandwidth usage just brushes 1GB at the moment, which I believe would be much higher if I did not force some client-side caching and other optimizations. The primary website is for a private blog, so traffic remains relatively constant every month.

Yes.

Current host is WPWebHost on the Freedom Plan. They have good support and features. It's just that when I try to run 2 WordPress installations (and soon 3) I start to notice a bit of a slowdown.

Disk space usage hasn't hit 100MB as yet, but that might increase with future projects. Bandwidth usage just brushes 1GB at the moment, which I believe would be much higher if I did not force some client-side caching and other optimizations. The primary website is for a private blog, so traffic remains relatively constant every month.
    Your needs are actually pretty lightweight, I think any introductory web hosting plan with a reputable provider will do you just fine (your current web host appears to be overselling, which is probably why you are experiencing problems).

Your needs are actually pretty lightweight, I think any introductory web hosting plan with a reputable provider will do you just fine (your current web host appears to be overselling, which is probably why you are experiencing problems).
    Thanks very much! You've been a great help.

Thanks very much! You've been a great help.
    Your welcome!