Those of you who offer "reseller hosting"....

Who do you use to offer your reseller hosting? Do you have a dedicated server with WHMphp or Zamfoo on it, or do you get master reseller accounts from certain places? I'm wanting to offer reseller hosting and researching my options at the moment.

Depends. If you care about your clients, go with a dedicated server. If you just want a quick buck go with a master reseller.

I've never heard of master reseller accounts working out well in the long run - but then again, I haven't really looked into it either.

Well if I was to go with master reseller, it would be temporary till costs and revenues are capable of supporting a dedicated server. I agree, and do not really trust the master reseller setup, but I do think it could be a good stepping stone to prevent losses till it's time to transfer.

As previously mentioned, it really depends on scale of what you have in mind and your business plan.
    Sharing your stuff with people you don't know can be a huge risk, you can easily trust people but will they respect that as much as you expected ?
    Going with a dedicated server and running your own business with your own business plan can be a great start, even a VPS can be much better than a master reseller for start to be cost effective.

Not really had experience with master reseller stuff but I never heard good things about them, oversubscribing is a great risk in most cases and thinking about over-oversubscribing (master reseller method) can be a danger IMO!

- Aria

Quote Originally Posted by ASN - Aria View Post
    As previously mentioned, it really depends on scale of what you have in mind and your business plan.
    Sharing your stuff with people you don't know can be a huge risk, you can easily trust people but will they respect that as much as you expected ?
    Going with a dedicated server and running your own business with your own business plan can be a great start, even a VPS can be much better than a master reseller for start to be cost effective.

Not really had experience with master reseller stuff but I never heard good things about them, oversubscribing is a great risk in most cases and thinking about over-oversubscribing (master reseller method) can be a danger IMO!

- Aria
    I totally agree, I'm just looking for the best cost effective/ safety effective approach. I'm also trying to avoid overselling, because I haven't figured out any proper formulas or guidelines as to when overselling is too much.

Depends on the market your approaching and your budget, some will argue your better off starting with a VPS/Dedicated and some will argue your better off budgeting with a Master Reseller and offering accounts off of that until your financially stable to upgrade.

A descent VPS would be a great way to start. Particularly a fully managed VPS. That way you will always have some support to fall back on.

It depends on your budget. If you want to start small, go with a master reseller. If you want to offer a better service to your clients, get a VPS. I personally don't like the idea of starting out with a dedicated server. It is best to get a dedicated server when you get enough revenue to buy one.
    Sajid Iftekhar - Web Design Portfolio

Yes, we're looking to start small and then upgrade to a dedicated eventually, not stick with a master reseller permanently.

You could use a master reseller or a dedicated server. I suggest starting small with a master reseller.

I assume that's where most beginning web hosts start - reseller hosting. I don't have a great recommendation for you, as the reseller we started out with(and the only one we've ever used unfortunately), probably is going to be the cause of me going bald early on in life.

I don't think it's a bad idea to start out with a master reseller. You can provide great service to your clients with the right reseller. Don't let people tell you differently. Just DO YOUR RESEARCH, because the wrong reseller can tarnish your reputation pretty quickly.

Midpulse | Customized Shared Web Hosting With VPS-Like Resources
    24/7 Support - 30 Day Money Back Guarantee - Daily Backups
    www.Midpulse.com - Doing Business Since 2007

Quote Originally Posted by thezombiehunter View Post
    Depends. If you care about your clients, go with a dedicated server. If you just want a quick buck go with a master reseller.

I've never heard of master reseller accounts working out well in the long run - but then again, I haven't really looked into it either.
    Take the advise of the post above. If you care about your customers you will just go Dedicated, Master/Alpha Reselling (IMHO) IS NOT a stable platform to host clients on.

I will also advice dedicated server. Master reseller plans wont work for long time. If you dont have money for dedicated take VPS.
    PremiumCoding you recieve a vivid, eye-catching coding solutions.
    Check our latest Wordpress Themes.

Quote Originally Posted by zdrifko View Post
    I will also advice dedicated server. Master reseller plans wont work for long time. If you dont have money for dedicated take VPS.
    What software would be needed to do reseller on a vps? Whmphp or zamfoo? Also, if on a vps do you guys have any formulas or methods to calculate how to oversell it safely?

Most probably you are already familiar with cPanel, so that is what you are going to require to sell shared and reseller account, WHM/cPanel.

There is no set formula to oversell, create plans that you will be able to sustain in the long run and upgrade to bigger VPS or dedicated once you are outgrowing the current setup.

BTW if you can tell us your budget, you will get better advise by members here.
    Vinsar.Net - Quality Web Hosting at Economical Price on USA & European Servers
    Offering domains, shared, reseller & VPS hosting.
    Reliable Domain Reseller Account Resell Domains with Confidence

It's harder to find a reputable provider that offers master reseller. By the time you get to the point you can offer reseller plans anyway, you should probably be looking at your own server or at least a vps.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
    It's harder to find a reputable provider that offers master reseller. By the time you get to the point you can offer reseller plans anyway, you should probably be looking at your own server or at least a vps.
    We're trying to keep resellers and shared on totally different servers so they don't interfere with one another. Budget is flexible and up to around ~50 a month right now (which is why we're considering master reseller then transitioning to VPS or dedicated once the server produces more revenue)