VPS hosting server

Hi,

I am planning to offer VPS for web-hosting on CentOS 5.5 server. I have only one dedicated server at this point. Please let me know what is the most reliable and efficient way to create VPS for clients. Should I create them using Xen ? I prefer to have an opensource solution at this point of time. But, other suggestions are also welcome.

I am planning to use GPL control panel . Any comments ?

Hello,

Can you provide more details on a dedicated server specs?

Processor : Dual Virtual Core
    RAM : 2 GB
    HDD : 100 GB

Quote Originally Posted by lithuania View Post
    Hello,

Can you provide more details on a dedicated server specs?

That's low-end... You can offer shared webhosting on this machine. For VPS hosting, I'am afraid, you need more powerful solution.

Can you please suggest a good specification ? We do plan to upgrade in order to be able to provide VPS. Also, please help me with my original query regarding the best way to set up VPS

That's low-end... You can offer shared webhosting on this machine. For VPS hosting, I'am afraid, you need more powerful solution.

Nowadays XEN solutions getting more and more popular due to strong resource isolation.
    As for dedicated server recommendation, search something with decent CPU (Xeon E,L or X series, i7 9XX series or AMD series) and DDR3 RAM, consider storage type (RAID, SAS or SSD).
    Don't rush for decisions, sit and think a lot before you dive into hosting business.

My recomendation for virtualisation: high end quad core XEON with HT, 8 - 12 GB ram and RAID 10 with four hard drives. You don't need SAS or ssd, RAID 10 is very good solution, SATA II is fully enough.
    Last edited by Andreo-Bacloud; 03-24-2011 at 04:19 AM.
    Affordable custom Single/DUAL - Intel/AMD CPU servers EU | Configure
    Linux, Windows VPS in LT/UK/NL/USA | Get one now

Dear "DuomenuCentras" you offering VPS servers with SAS arrays, do you state that it's not that good as RAID10?

Dear "DuomenuCentras" you offering VPS servers with SAS arrays, do you state that it's not that good as RAID10?
    If server goes with RAID 10, SATA 2 is enough and do not worth to waste money. Off course it depends on amount of VPS in servers. If you do not know anything about the hardware and RAID 10 arrays, please do not mislead forum members
    Affordable custom Single/DUAL - Intel/AMD CPU servers EU | Configure
    Linux, Windows VPS in LT/UK/NL/USA | Get one now

Yes sir, only you know about hardware .

Back to the topic: Also consider about port speed and location.

Using XEN is definitelly not the best option for your case.
    You may consider using OpenVZ which is less isolated and requires less resources per VPS, but as it was mentioned earlier, your server configuration is not the best for providing virtualization service.
    CloudVPS
    Affordable VPS Servers - Middle East
    High performance | Green technologies

Thanks for all the replies.

Please let me know more on my actual concern. What should be the best way to create no. of VPS for commercial purpose ? I completely understand that I have to obtain high end hardware for that. But, I am more eager to know about the process I should follow and software tool I should use to build VPS in order to be able to rent them out to clients.

If anybody can give me information on advantages and disadvantages for different procedures/tools , I will be grateful.

Hi,

Any other suggestion for following :

What should be the best way to create no. of VPS for commercial purpose in a CentOS 5.5 server ? I completely understand that I have to obtain high end hardware for that. But, I am more eager to know about the process I should follow and software tool I should use to build VPS in order to be able to rent them out to clients.

If anybody can give me information on advantages and disadvantages for different procedures/tools , I will be grateful.

You can use almost every Virtualization software.
    I know that VMWare ESX server has some restrictions for hosting services, but other than that you can use:
    OpenVZ/Virtuozzo
    XEN
    KVM
    CloudVPS
    Affordable VPS Servers - Middle East
    High performance | Green technologies

For one you would need a lot more RAM, Hard Drive, and more powerful CPU otherwise you will be getting a lot of lag', and you won't be able to more then 2 users on your current specs without causing a lot of problems to the dedicated server it self.

6-8GB+ Ram.
    1TB Raid-10.
    Quad Core.

Personally with your current server you expecting to get XEN to run on, would be pointless as XEN is a more high-end solution service thats why you see more providers charge more because the resources are more dedicated then OVZ. I personally don't think you'd be able to run a stable VPS node running XEN with your current specs.

-Shane.
    Everyone hosting company has it's own options for there nodes, I personally see that wouldn't be good enough to host one of my client's on, I suggest at least going with the stats+ what I provided above to get a nice stable node, and for XEN maybe increase them a bit more.

What is your budget for starting up (server-wise)?
    FusionNET Solutions
    OpenVZ & XEN VPS available in US & UK.
    IRC & Adult Allowed, RDNS Control, 24/7 Helpdesk, VPN Ready, Native IPv6 Ready!

Thank you all for your comments/suggestions.