Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Sandy Bridge i7 2600 or so servers in Texas?

Can anyone recommend me servers in Texas with the new Sandy Bridge processors? They are cheaper but faster than the usual Xeons such as the X3460 so I'm hoping these will be cheaper on data centre as well. Thanks.

Even if someone isn't outright advertising them yet, it's worth hitting them up to see if they can custom order it.
    Michael G ★ Sharktech - DDOS Protected Servers ★ 20 years in business
    Bare Metal Dedicated Servers ★ Public and Private Cloud ★ Colocation ★ VPS ★ DDOS Protection ★ IP Transit
    Amsterdam ★ Chicago ★ Denver ★ Los Angeles

People are still waiting for the new fixed motherboards.

As well as possible solutions to the network cards not being supported by centos.
    Which will make life harder for a lot of customers.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

How long for those?

Well I actually am using it for a Windows Server.

With a windows server current Sandybridge i7 mainboard are supported out of the box. The various Linux versions needs a custom compilation, but it does work.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

What exactly do you expect to gain from "sandybridge" won't any i7 work for you? Check the offers section for providers with i7 servers. Sandybridge just sounds like a disaster IMO.

I only need it for CPU power. And it's cheaper than the Xeon i7s, yet significantly faster.

Its a brand new model, its not going to magically be cheaper than other server lines right off the bat. That would mean all the other server lines would have to be drastically reduced in price just to support the "SB" at the magical lower prices you are expecting.

If you want to benefit from it, buy the machine and colocate it. The lower power usage and 1U form factor you should be able to get a good deal on a nicely spec'ed SB colo machine.
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

I know it's not going to be magically cheaper, but so far I've seen them cheaper on data centers that are offering them. And there's no point in me colocating since I do not plan to use servers for a very long time. Also, I don't mind if it's outside of Texas now. It can be anywhere in the USA as long as it has a good connection.

Actually the Sandy bridge line is cheaper then its predecessor and considerably faster and less power hungry.
    Swiftway.net Your Business deserves our Quality - Experts on Hand since 2005. Europe & US locations, we operate our own network AS35017 Support response time <15 minutes 24/7
    Introducing our new Entry level server line ! Support response time <15 minutes 24/7. Technology Fast 50 & Fast 500 award winning for multiple years, Your Business deserves Swiftway Quality.

Im talking about the monthly rental price

Quote Originally Posted by CGotzmann View Post
    Im talking about the monthly rental price
    Yes, me too. Since the hardware is cheaper and the server consumes less power, monthly rental price will likely be lower or similar to the servers already on the market.
    I see them as a replacement for the current servers with a win for all:

- for providers as the server uses less power
    - for the client as the CPU is faster
    - for the provider as the server hardware is cheaper
    - for the client, since the new line support more memory per CPU and has SATA3 ports

Yes, so you didn't read my post.
    If you make the NEWEST LINE cheaper than your CURRENT LINE. All of your current line must then be changed to be CHEAPER than your NEWEST line.

If you make the NEWEST LINE cheaper than your CURRENT LINE. All of your current line must then be changed to be CHEAPER than your NEWEST line.
    The Sandybridges actually REPLACES the CURRENT LINE - why keep offering servers that are more expensive to purchase, use more power and are slower then the NEWEST LINE if you have to offer then at a lower price then the newest line ?

Quote Originally Posted by swiftnoc View Post
    The Sandybridges actually REPLACES the CURRENT LINE - why keep offering servers that are more expensive to purchase, use more power and are slower then the NEWEST LINE if you have to offer then at a lower price then the newest line ?
    So you're supposed to just not sell the hundreds of servers you already have of the older CPU and/or cause a mass migration off of the older hardware because the new hardware is better AND cheaper? That is just asking for having empty servers sitting around for forever...
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer View Post
    That is just asking for having empty servers sitting around for forever...
    Fair enough.
    Maybe our situation is a little different. We have sold out all of our ''old line'' servers so we can launch the Sandybridge servers as our new server line.

And you will never have any cancellations? We are not buying any new stock of X3400's, but you will always have them available in your inventory and they are still good and powerful machines which need to be sold.

Fair enough.
    Maybe our situation is a little different. We have sold out all of our ''old line'' servers so we can launch the Sandybridge servers as our new server line.
    How about as servers get canceled out, etc.?

We generally always sell the new lines as the old lines for at least a couple months and then give people free upgrades. That helps prevent the flood of customers moving and still lets us get new hardware, while being able to still use the older hardware. The economies of it all are different for different companies though.

Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

How about as servers get canceled out, etc.?
    Honestly, we see very few cancellations and in most cases when the customer cancels, the server is already several years old and ready to be sold off. But yes, it does sometimes happen that a newer server gets canceled. We usually offer those as specials (on ie: this forum) or they get scooped up almost immediately by a client/reseller or gets added to a cluster.

And you will never have any cancellations?
    Question answered above. We are extremely proud of our customer retention rate.

So you're supposed to just not sell the hundreds of servers you already have of the older CPU
    I don't think sandy bridge or new cpu models should of suprised any provider... If you know how to manage your inventory for when new technology is coming out, I wouldn't see why you would have hundreds of servers not being used.

And you will never have any cancellations?
    Thats the cost of doing business... Technology updates itself all the time, you should have a general plan on how to get that hardware back being used into a new/current customer's hands if you have cancellations. I haven't heard of any company that has a 100% retention rate so I would think most providers are used to this.

We generally always sell the new lines as the old lines for at least a couple months and then give people free upgrades. That helps prevent the flood of customers moving and still lets us get new hardware

Seems like a great idea!

Honestly, we see very few cancellations and in most cases when the customer cancels, the server is already several years old and ready to be sold off. But yes, it does sometimes happen that a newer server gets canceled. We usually offer those as specials (on ie: this forum) or they get scooped up almost immediately by a client/reseller or gets added to a cluster.

Question answered above. We are extremely proud of our customer retention rate.
    We have very good customer retention, but we still get a lot of customers regularly upgrading to larger servers, etc. which then frees up the older servers.

To note, right when new hardware comes out, the demand isn't really that high for it. In many cases it just isn't worth the small handful of customers you'd gain to be an early adopter. Some of the costs of being an early adopter were shown in the initial Sandy Bridge recall, and now you still have additional costs for re-compiling and/or driver issues with Linux installs. Personally, I wait ~2 months for bugs to be worked out, we're selling servers that need to be reliable, not gaming dekstops.

We have very good customer retention, but we still get a lot of customers regularly upgrading to larger servers, etc. which then frees up the older servers.
    I agree, thats the number one cause of relatively new servers coming back to the inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason K View Post
    I don't think sandy bridge or new cpu models should of suprised any provider... If you know how to manage your inventory for when new technology is coming out, I wouldn't see why you would have hundreds of servers not being used.

Thats the cost of doing business... Technology updates itself all the time, you should have a general plan on how to get that hardware back being used into a new/current customer's hands if you have cancellations. I haven't heard of any company that has a 100% retention rate so I would think most providers are used to this.
    No one mentioned anything about SB surprising anyone, nor that there were no plans to handle the line change. This isn't the first or second or third line change that has happened... You are twisting the words around to make it seem as if we don't know how to handle this.

When you get large enough with enough servers, you will have cancellations for just standard reasons... peoples sites shutting down, downgrading, upgrading, etc. and with thousands of servers in production, you end up with a couple cancellations a week. Its all based on volume of servers in production. The more servers you have, the more cancellations you will also see. Its all part of doing business, which is why you dont undercut your current lines just because some new line came out. For a new'er or smaller company which doesn't have many of the older line servers sold and/or in production, it is much less of an issue as there is much less liability which is I assume why the concept was harder to grasp initially for some posters in this thread.
    Last edited by ItsChrisG; 03-25-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast