Suggest cheap servers to start colo

Hi guys,
    I am thinking about moving from dedicated to colo. So I need to buy a server first! Now wondering what affordable entry level servers are available out there. My budget is under $800.

The server that I am currently considering is Dell R210, but that would be great if you could suggest better and/or cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Dell R200's are great. 860's too. R200's you'll get are still in warranty, though, so you are better off with that.

Alternatively, you can most certainly build a new quadcore for 800.
    simplywww: directadmin and cpanel hosting that will rock your socks
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

Follow my "deals" Twitter for hardware specials.. @dougysdeals

Thanks Dougy. Are there any other options apart from Dell in the same price range? Fujitsu for example?

Quote Originally Posted by zite View Post
    Thanks Dougy. Are there any other options apart from Dell in the same price range? Fujitsu for example?
    SuperMicro from a system builder or if you DIY.. otherwise, no, not really that I'm aware of.
    Need some work done in a datacenter in the NYC area? NYC Remote Hands can do it.

What hardware are you looking at picking up under $800? Just anything with a heart beat, the most you can get for $800, or just whatever meets a certain set of minimum requirements?
    BudgetVM - The Virtualization Experts
    Mike Gazzerro, Account Manager
    Chicago, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles
    Wholly owned by Enzu Inc., an Inc500 Company.

From my experience its best to avoid Fujitsu. If your not too worried about going down the used route, there are a good number of HP machines out there. The DL360 or 365 machines are good if you need a 1U box, and the DL380 or 385 are good if you can afford to colo 2U.

Chances are these boxes won't be in warranty still, but they are built well and its easy to get spares if you need.

Hope this helps,

Jon
    Virgo Networks - High Quality UK Web Hosting & Network Services, from Newcastle and the North of England.
    Standard & Reseller packages available.
    UK based support from experienced technical staff.
    Competitive pricing & caring service.

server for collocation must to be high end, if you want to have good investment. Old servers consume more electricity than gives performance. I think, that it is better to rent a server from any company or increase your budget.

My server recomendation: QC xeon with Ht, 8 GB ram, disks with RAID massive.
    Andrius Petkus, Chief commercial officer @ Bacloud.com data centers.
    Build your cheap dedicated server, Affordable high power Windows SSD VPS
    Payment methods: Bitcoins, Credit cards, PayPal, WebMoney, Perfect Money, Safety Pay, Cashu, Bank transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by zomgmike View Post
    What hardware are you looking at picking up under $800? Just anything with a heart beat, the most you can get for $800, or just whatever meets a certain set of minimum requirements?
    My minimum requirements are modest. I should be happy with Intel Core 2 Duo with up to 8Gig RAM and 160GB hard disk. So the primary concern is to lower down the price as much as possible. Let's modify question: What is the best bang for ~$500 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by DuomenuCentras View Post
    server for collocation must to be high end, if you want to have good investment. Old servers consume more electricity than gives performance. I think, that it is better to rent a server from any company or increase your budget.

My server recomendation: QC xeon with Ht, 8 GB ram, disks with RAID massive.
    Well you are right. But from point of view of a colo consumer, energy efficiency of the server is not my primary concern, to the exetent that it is within the normal range of acceptable consumption for 1U (0.5 A?). However I am not sure these days all available rack servers satisfy this condition.

You could probably find a supermicro builder who could get you a core2 w/8 gigs for 600$, give or take..

Quote Originally Posted by dot_txt View Post
    You could probably find a supermicro builder who could get you a core2 w/8 gigs for 600$, give or take..
    Can you point me to some builders who make it for this price?

Can you point me to some builders who make it for this price?
    Check out the advertising section of this forum, e.g. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1027200

Cheers mate.
    Would you trust buying a used server like these for a production site?
    Roughly, what is the life expectancy of a typical Dell server?

Cheers mate.
    Would you trust buying a used server like these for a production site?
    Roughly, what is the life expectancy of a typical Dell server?
    Absolutely, I personally use a pile of them for various things. See if you can get one still in warranty, get it xfer'd to you, then extend it.. so if parts go bad, Dell will repair it..