Review : Debian 6 "Squeeze"

Hello All,
    Today I decided to make the switch from Ubuntu 10.10 to Debian 6.0 Squeeze on my primary PC. I have been a Ubuntu fan for a few years now and have "tested" Debian Lenny in the past with less then favorable results.

Debian has stepped up the game with Squeeze in a big way. I am genuinely impressed with the progress made in both features and usability. The overall speed of Debian Squeeze appears faster then Debian Lenny, which is a great bonus as well. It is also much faster then Ubuntu.

Hardware Detection

This is the primary reason why I went to Ubuntu, hardware simply worked without configuration. In the past Debian required a lot of manual work to get some items working properly (cough Nvidia Drivers). I Hardware Detection I am very happy to report that ALL drivers were detected properly and installed upon boot !!!
    Ease of Use
    Lets face it, I like Gnome over KDE or any other desktop, it just works.
    I am going to play with it a bit more but so far, I love it
    Keith I Myers
    KMyers.me The rantings of a lunatic
    Join me on Technical.chat

This sounds nice! Please kindly post your results and experience after your trials

I may try it as well, along with my Ubuntu install. I just hated the Debian feel with their previous versions!
    CurlHost - Affordable VPS/Dedicated Servers!
    Multiple Locations! We're right beside you!

I tried it too at the same day of release . I love it . I also tested the openvz kernel and setup a vps . I feel it is faster than ubntu and Centos.

+1 vote for it .
    24x7 PROACTIVE SERVER MANAGEMENT | OUTSOURCED WEB HOSTING SUPPORT
    Sales : sales @ syslint.com | Call us : (+91)9447607799 | Are you looking for DevOps Admins ?

Thumbs up

Completely agree with this review.

I switched my main office PC over from Ubuntu 10.10 a few days ago and I'm extremity impressed with Debian.

Agreed.

Debian is a great OS. It's not filled with all the crap that Canonical stuffs in Ubuntu. A lot of great work comes out of their development team.

Most desktop debian issues that people won't find in Ubuntu (older libs, drivers etc) you won't find just by running the testing release whatever that happens to be. I usually run testing on servers frankly because in debian language stable tends to mean stupid-old - never had an issue doing that.

FYI debian is a distro not an OS btw.

Quote Originally Posted by streaky81 View Post
    Most desktop debian issues that people won't find in Ubuntu (older libs, drivers etc) you won't find just by running the testing release whatever that happens to be. I usually run testing on servers frankly because in debian language stable tends to mean stupid-old - never had an issue doing that.

FYI debian is a distro not an OS btw.
    1) The testing release is called Sid
    2) 6.0 was just released so the stable release is not old yet
    3) From debian.org, "Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer." A Linux distribution is just an operating system built on top of the linux kernal btw.

Quote Originally Posted by dimension4 View Post
    1) The testing release is called Sid
    No it's called Wheezy, Sid is permanently aliased to Unstable - because Sid like to blow up toys like your server.

2) 6.0 was just released so the stable release is not old yet
    This is actually true, however unstable tends to be a progression, it's not like they dump Sid into Wheezy on day one of new release - for that reason Testing tends to be relatively stable.

3) From debian.org, "Debian is a free operating system (OS) for your computer." A Linux distribution is just an operating system built on top of the linux kernal btw.
    Debian can call itself an OS all day, technically the OS is Linux - which Debian is a distro of.

I also recommend it. Debian 6 is one of the greatest OS.
    █ NiceVZ.com | Budget& Nice Hosting
    █ Offering affordable and reliable web hosting
    █ Follow Us on Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by streaky81 View Post
    No it's called Wheezy, Sid is permanently aliased to Unstable - because Sid like to blow up toys like your server.

Debian can call itself an OS all day, technically the OS is Linux - which Debian is a distro of.
    Sorry you're right about Wheezy. Technically Linux is just a kernel not an OS.

Technically Linux is just a kernel not an OS.
    In general parlance, Linux = GNU/Linux - which is in fact the OS.

Stallman likes to get mouthy about it (what's new?) but when people say Linux this is what they mean.

A new debian release eh, taking a look could be something to stop me spending too much time at the pub over the weekend

I used lenny for a while and found it ok to be fair, probably try squeeze in a vm as I've just installed opensuse 11.4 on the machine I use for trying out (aka breaking) things