Thread: DNS question

DNS question

I want to move one of my sites from my current setup (reseller/WHM) to its own account on a different server entirely, OK? But I can't immediately get hold of the domain controller to update Nameservers.

The nameservers currently point to my reseller account, which I control of course.

Can I simply update the DNS zone on my current WHM to then point traffic to the new server? Or it doesn't quite work like that?

Thanks.

It does but the wonder of having the name servers pointed to the new server is that it's all done automatically (less chance of errors)

plus it's alot of records to change/create

for example

mail
    webmail
    Cpanel
    WHM
    subdomains
    SPF
    Yahoo's domain key thingy

everytime you add a subdomain you would also have to add the relevant A record in the old control panel's DNS records section (not an ideal scenario).

joe
    www.JGwebhosting.co.uk - CPanel Control panel, domain registration, Reseller packages And 24X7 Technical support! - Now Taking in Hosting Refugee's

www.JGpcrepair.co.uk - Computer repair, New Systems, Software, Hardware

Yep, it works exactly like that, in fact it's the recommended way to do a transfer since you can set your own TTLs on A records in your DNS zone. Set a TTL of 300 or so (5 minutes) on whatever record you're going to change, wait out the old TTL (typically 4 hours on cPanel servers), and when you change the record again to point to the new server it should transfer almost immediately.

You are creating a second point of failure though, so don't keep this setup long term. Preferably set up nameservers on at least two geographically-separated machines.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

Yeah, its just current server sucks and I can't get hold of the domain owner. I tried to do it but it didn't work. Kinda obvious after I tried... it forwards to the new IP fine, but then that IP doesn't know what to do with it since it doesn't have the headers.

So I tried it different.

On the old server, I added a test subdomain test.mydomain.com
    Then I forwarded that domain to the new account 123.456.789.1/~account
    That works, but then that's what people see in the address bar and it also breaks scripts that depend on the URL or check referer.

So now I gotta figure out how to get round that.

SIgh.

- Steven

Quote Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
    I tried to do it but it didn't work. Kinda obvious after I tried... it forwards to the new IP fine, but then that IP doesn't know what to do with it since it doesn't have the headers.
    Sounds like you haven't set up the virtualhost on the new server. If you take a full backup from the old one and restore it on the new, that should do the job automatically. But if you're trying to set up the new server without cPanel, you have a bit more manual work to do.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter