Budget for a site with heavy traffic

Hello,

I am considering to open a .php CMS website, but do not know much about hosting. My site should have the following characteristics:

-High traffic with around 2-6 million visitors per month from all over the world.
    - It will probably have around 4,000 pages, 350 slideshows, but no videos.
    -Flash animation on the index page.
    -There will be a forum which thousands of people are expected to use.
    -Thousands of pdf files are expected to be downloaded per month.

I have the following questions:

1) How much can I expect to pay for hosting per month? Both including and excluding maintenance? What type of plan in respect of for example CPU, RAM, harddisk and bandwidth should I go for?
    2) Let’s say the site ends up having 20 million visitors per month, how much can I expect to pay then?
    3) What are the advantages of choosing a Windows dedicated server over a Linux one, or is it a waste of money? If I use Windows on my computer, will that matter?
    4) Is there any particular hosting site that you could recommend for being both good and cheap?

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by christian777 View Post
    1) How much can I expect to pay for hosting per month? Both including and excluding maintenance? What type of plan in respect of for example CPU, RAM, harddisk and bandwidth should I go for?
    2) Let’s say the site ends up having 20 million visitors per month, how much can I expect to pay then?
    3) What are the advantages of choosing a Windows dedicated server over a Linux one, or is it a waste of money? If I use Windows on my computer, will that matter?
    4) Is there any particular hosting site that you could recommend for being both good and cheap?

Thanks a lot!
    Seriously, you talking about a site that will cost millions of dollars to develop and advertise to get it to the traffic levels your describing. Then you express your concern about finding "cheap" hosting? Doesn't make much sense.

I think you need to do a reality check; if you really have the resources to create a site at this level with this much traffic, then the cost of hosting is going to be a non-issue.

If your budget is so low that your worried about finding cheap hosting, then there is no way you have the resources to create the type of site your talking about.

No one can possibly give you accurate answers to questions that are so vague, especially on the scale your talking about. Your easily getting into the $1,000+ a month range to run a site like your talking about with that much traffic.
    Last edited by jamiedolan; 03-23-2011 at 06:25 PM.

First of all taking all this into context- you need to choose either managed or unmanaged- with the volumes of traffic and visitors you are expecting, it might be handy to have a managed service, so that you can focus on the business side of things.

With the windows or linux debate- its whatever your comfortable with, however generally, linux is a cheaper OS considering you don't have to pay licensing fees...

whats your budget for this?