better managed or unamanged with external management

I might need a dedicated soon, does anyone know if external management is better than the "full management" offer from the seller?

I asked the same quotation around to few management groups and the price range is more or less 100$ up to 300$, while as I can see from Dedicated/VPS hostings offer section the cost of the service starts from few $ up to max 100$

usually a more expensive service comes with better quality, but there are exceptions too

New Jersey, USA
    If you can afford it, then I would definitely recommend you get management from the provider.

It's their server, it's their network and they know what they are doing.

- Daniel
    Managed & Unmanaged SSD VPS's by | FAST PURE SSD & HDD Plans!
    █ Locations in USA & United Kingdom - Legal Adult Content Allowed! 24/7 Certified Support.
    cPanel/WHM Included | Premium Softaculous | Data Migration Included with Managed Support.
    █ INSTANT SETUP | Paypal, Skrill, 2checkout, BitCoin & all Major Credit Cards Accepted! Skype:

that's a good point, but browsing the forum last few days I saw much more good reviews about external group management than providers

I suggest taking management with the provider you want to rent the server from.
    An external company might be cheaper, but they can't get physical to the hardware and the SLA's from the provider mostly covers hardware SLA's also - Online in no time
    Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands with DAILY support, also on weekends
    DDOS Protected network - 100% Money Back if it doesn't work for you
    Streaming / IPTV allowed | Up to 10 Gbit ports | 100% Network Uptime

well...I'm actually trying a managed VPS and had an horrible experience with its provider "full management": after the first setup the PHP wasn't working (shouldn't be that included in a standard setup?).

Tech support was efficient and kindly solved all the issues, so thumbs up for ticket system. Buuuuuuuut I'm really pissed off about spending 2 days sending ticket just to fix things that should be ok after a default setup, not a custom setup

Raleigh, NC
    I don't think PHP should be included in the base setup. What if someone doesn't want to run PHP?

a good managed company will be alot better then external management beware of some of the low end management offers here on WHT i tried out a few of the companies and had some pretty bad techs do work i even had a company lie to be and tell me someone was working on a server 4 hours before they had anyone that had a clue to do anything.

We went with a managed option through our provider and I couldn't be happier. We're talking minutes to answer tickets, ability to have them do all the nasty installs, etc. It's fantastic.

so I will keep the current managed VPS to see how it goes, I see that it was an isolated case.

I might need an external in case I need they have a direct contact with costumers

New York
    Whether an external management company or the provider itself is better strictly depends. I would refrain from judging service by price. For providers, they can normally charge less for management because they are profiting from the equipment.

For the most part, a real data center providing management will always have the upper hand because they can directly access the server when things go south.
    TurnKey Internet, Inc : phone 1.518.618.0999 and 1.877.539.4638 | Contact Us
    Cloud Servers | Dedicated Servers | Colocation | VPS | Mail Services | Reseller hosting
    New York / East Coast Green Datacenter

any advice on managed dedicated provider? If you name one pls also share why.
    Even if current support is great I'd prefer a provider that don't put me in a situation where I need ask too much support.

I agree with most of the posts on here, get management from the provider. Makes everything much simpler.

I'd recommend KnownHost.
    Sam Barrow - CEO @ SQUIDIX (1-855-SQUIDIX)
    Ask Us About Sponsoring Your Web Site (High Traffic Sites Only)
    Squidix - Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated, Managed VPS and Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Midwestern Web - Web Design & Development Services

Get it from the provider. If there is an external manager the support time could get more delayed as well.
    Softaculous - Auto Installer for cPanel, Direct Admin, InterWorx, Plesk, H-Sphere
    The only Auto Installer that installs 260+ scripts. Install in just ONE STEP!
    Virtualizor - VPS Control Panel supporting OpenVZ, Xen, KVM and has 60+ OS Templates
    Webuzo - Softaculous for the Cloud i.e. Softaculous Standalone