Help me on VMWARE

Hello to all can you help me on VMWARE because i install the vmware on my dedi server windows web server 2008 r2
    then i try to make a vps but same ip on my dedi

can you teach me guide step by step how to setup the network because i have 5 usable ip on my dedi server please help me

thank you

The way I do this is as follows.

1. Get my hosting provider to allocate additional IP's to the host computer that I'm renting. Don't assume this is done even if the server 'includes 4 IP addresses' or whatever. This sometimes means they won't charge you but you still have to ask. This seems to be especially true in Europe. It avoids needless IP waste.

2. One IP will be for the host, the other for the VMs. So, you must use bridging as your network choice on the VM. Use an IP given to you by the hosting company, and copy the rest of the details from the host computer (dns, gateway). AFAIK, bridging is the only way to do this.

3. Your VM will then appear like a real machine on the Internet.

4. Chances are this will work. BUT...

Some providers (Hetzner for one) stop multiple mach adressses being used on the same physical port IIRC. There is a workaround I believe.

Windows Web Server 2008 R2 is not a supported host O/S for VMWare server (but it is a supported guest O/S). You may find it works however.

Thank you for reply. may i know what the best OS for VMWare?
    and can u give me step by step how to bridge my network.??
    thanks again

About what version of VMware are you talking about?

The best performance you would get from ESXi, however this is the 'OS' and by installing a tool on a client you can add/configure VM's.
    Bridging of the network interface is automatically done by ESXi, so no work there.

If you want to have as base Windows, you can use VMware Server.
    I think you can easily configure when creating a VM, you want to bridge the connection. However I'm not 100% sure of this.

@Mikej0h
    VMWare 7

@all
    any software can use on windows web server 2008 r2 to make a vps?
    because i have 5 usable ip's and i have 29 allocate ip
    sorry because im new on hosting

On Windows 2008 R2 Web Edition, Hyper-V is not supported (unfortunately).
    VMware 7 is considered a desktop application, rather not use that for production servers (however, the same counts for VMware Server in my opinion).

You could consider Microsoft Virtual Server, although I'm not 100% convinced it works on Web Edition.

so what Windows Version can use to work the vmware 7?? sorry im noob

Quote Originally Posted by Mikej0h View Post
    VMware 7 is considered a desktop application, rather not use that for production servers (however, the same counts for VMware Server in my opinion).
    If I were you I would change the OS to Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition, then you can use Hyper-V.