Looking for an alternative to HostGator

Hello,

I've always been with HostGator from the minute I started using web hosting. I've never had a problem with uptime, support or anything like that but the idea of unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth is really starting to get to me in terms of site performance.

I think that it's time to move on and find an alternative. I'm looking for a relatively large shared account. I'm based in the UK and I will probably need around 30GB and 100GB bandwidth. I need a company with live support and extremely fast ticket responses because this is what HostGator has always been good at.

I also run a lot of WordPress blogs if this has any influence on load times for certain scripts etc.

Please <<recommend>> me some shared hosting
    Last edited by bear; 03-22-2011 at 09:28 PM.

Freebie,

Are you looking for US or UK based hosting?
    Do you have a budget in mind?

I have hosting with a couple different companies right now but the one I feel most comfortable suggesting would be:

http://www.mddhosting.com/hosting.php

Their intermediate plan comes with 30GB disk and 720GB band. That should be perfect for you.

I do see Live Chat on their website but it's offline at the moment. I've never used that feature so I can't really comment on the Live Chat reliability.

Best of luck in your search!

It really does have to be 24/7 live support. At the minute I can only see HostGator providing this. I have spoken to HostGator and they have explained a lot of their processes to ensuring the health of their servers.

I'd still love some suggestions though!

Quote Originally Posted by FreebieHost View Post
    I've always been with HostGator from the minute I started using web hosting. I've never had a problem with uptime, support or anything like that but the idea of unlimited storage and unlimited bandwidth is really starting to get to me in terms of site performance.
    Not sure I understand this. Are you saying there IS a performance issue, or are you afraid there will be because of the attitude among us here about "unlimited" plans?

Because if its the latter, remember most of the people telling you not to go with an "unlimited" host are guys like me, who have small companies that don't oversell, and don't like the concept. But if Hostgator is working for you, and the performance is fine, then I would recommend you stay there. Moving sites is not fun, is a lot of work, and there are always problems. We will all "sell" you on how easy it is to move, but you will have problems (minor, perhaps, but you will have them).

If you are having performance issues, and really want 30GB that is on a server that isn't oversold, expect to pay $60 to $100 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by fshagan View Post
    Because if its the latter, remember most of the people telling you not to go with an "unlimited" host are guys like me, who have small companies that don't oversell, and don't like the concept. But if Hostgator is working for you, and the performance is fine, then I would recommend you stay there. Moving sites is not fun, is a lot of work, and there are always problems. We will all "sell" you on how easy it is to move, but you will have problems (minor, perhaps, but you will have them).

If you are having performance issues, and really want 30GB that is on a server that isn't oversold, expect to pay $60 to $100 per month.
    Now that's a balanced attitude you don't always find among hosts around here. The name of the game often seems to be "find a reason bash the big host and get him to move to us smaller hosts".

I also run a lot of WordPress blogs if this has any influence on load times for certain scripts etc.
    That can definitely have an effect on your load times, wordpress can be a resource hog if not optimized correctly and depending on the amount of plugins/traffic your wordpress sites are simultaneously receiving.

How many domain names are you currently hosting under one account?
    Need Web Hosting? Click Here to Learn Why You Should Switch To FernGullyGraphics
    FernGullyGraphics --- 426 14th St. Suite #115 --- Modesto, California --- 95354

Need Business Cards? Click Here

Can say that there are many alternatives.. Personally I prefer to focus on something much more important, reliable web hosting and great customer service. Check gigapros web site hosting solutions - hope they will suit your needs.
    Have a fun with online game on worldpaygold . com!

UK2.net would be a good option to consider.
    Tin Pham
    Solutions Engineer
    WP Engine - WordPress Hosting, Perfected.

It really does have to be 24/7 live support. At the minute I can only see HostGator providing this.
    Are you talking specifically about 24/7 technical support through live chat or 24/7 technical support (that can be through ticketing system) ? I think all the reputed providers do provide 24/7 support.

Don't know your budget, but cyberwurx hosting is one of best, especial because of Super support they have, i use them and happy for years

Im looking for something similar but i need a US based hosting any suggestions? Thank you

It really does have to be 24/7 live support. At the minute I can only see HostGator providing this. I have spoken to HostGator and they have explained a lot of their processes to ensuring the health of their servers.

I'd still love some suggestions though!
    I'm not quite sure where you've searched, but there are plenty of providers that offer 24/7/365 live support, many of them right here on WHT. Why would you want to move, as it sounds like you're generally happy with HostGator. It's not always greener on the other side of the fence. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Last edited by SenseiSteve; 03-24-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On Site Engineers

I personally use CheetahHost.net, I highly recommend them, great support and up time.

I am amazed that no one has even mentioned Innohosting.com

They would be the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGirit View Post
    I personally use CheetahHost.net
    Please provide a domain you own that's hosted with them to show your experience. If you'd prefer to do so privately, use this link to do so instead.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

If your budget is large enough and you are concerned about overselling and performance you could always go with a vps. There are a lot of VPS deals out there.

An alternative to hostgator is any host that their positive reviews outways the negative. In that light i'll suggest MDDhosting or Hawkhost that i currently use.

Hello,

I think that it's time to move on and find an alternative. I'm looking for a relatively large shared account. I'm based in the UK and I will probably need around 30GB and 100GB bandwidth. I need a company with live support and extremely fast ticket responses because this is what HostGator has always been good at.

Please <<recommend>> me some shared hosting
    I would also suggest MDDHosting. You can't get more "live" than a real person on the other side who responds to your emails almost instantaneously. I'm very impressed with them.

Also, they know how to run servers well. They are optimized, fast, stable, and unloaded. I highly recommend them.
    My personal blog -- rubiverse.net

A provider with similair rep to HostGator would be Site5.

Is there Support good?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGirit View Post
    I personally use CheetahHost.net, I highly recommend them, great support and up time.
    It would be best if you told people of your affiliation with a company before you recommend them to host there.

I lasted on HostGator a week with a Joomla site and a WordPress site with virtually no traffic. Working in the admin area was slow and page load wasn't what I thought it should be. I moved to a VPS with KnownHost and absolutely loved it for six months but since my sites are low traffic, it's hard to justify the cost. Yesterday I signed up at HawkHost and I have to say that I am not disappointed at the server speed on the two servers I'm on.

Page load is fast and working in the admin section is not painful. Chat support answered a couple of questions I had and the ticket system replied within an hour.

I like how Cloud Linux limits accounts to a single CPU so rogue sites can't slow down everyone else on the server. It's a proactive approach compared to sites being negatively affected and someone else on the server having to complain before a tech can track down the resource hog to get the server up to smooth operation again.

Like I said, I've only been with HawkHost for two days so I really can't give a review but so far my apprehension of going from a pretty decent VPS back to shared hosting has not materialized and I'm happy with HawkHost so far.

As for me, every other web hosting company is an alternative to Hostgator. Just figure out what specs you really need and find for a suitable provider who offers what you demand.

I had a good experience over all with Dreamhost (minus the occasional downtime periods), and if you don't need cPanel you could eye them over. Dreamhost also has a promotion going on right now where you'll get 1 years of hosting for under $10 US.

Oddly enough, hostgator would probably move you to another server that has less resources used if your performance is slow. It is normally easy to move sites but it isn't as easy when they are large sites. If you need 30Gb of space then I am guessing you use that much or close to it. That would probably cause some issues with something when moving. Not that it will, but there is a higher possibility. Also, since server to server transfers cannot be done when moving from hostgator shared servers your better off having them do it to another server inside their network.

My thought would be to ask hostgator and see if they would be willing to move you to a newer server with less people on it.

Good luck on your search.