I am using my brand new first VPS and have a couple of questions about the service itself - just want to make sure I understand it and am getting my money's worth. Any feedback appreciated and don't want to call out the provider yet as I don't know if they are good or bad, but its a fairly well known one. I'm within my 30 days and have no issues canceling. This is CentOS 5.5.
1) Firewall & services - my understanding is that to enable web services, I have to set up my firewall. I have set up nginx but can't configure iptables - I get this message: iptables v1.3.5: can't initialize iptables table `nat': iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)
Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
Some googling suggests that this may be an openvz problem which means my container has to be stopped, configured, and restarted. Does the provider normally have to set up firewall rules for services or should that be something I should be doing myself? Am I missing something?
2) I have an ssh login but don't see any way to back up my container or reinstall it. Is that normally something I can do? Am I stuck with the OS that I have unless I file a support ticket and ask them to do a reinstall?
3) I can't find some basic stuff like sudo, service, etc. Am I supposed to install additional packages or is there someplace they are hidden that I haven't found?
4) With just an ssh running, free gives me the following output. I have a 1GB package but it looks to me like 60% of my memory is already gone. Am I getting my money's worth here?
Any insights appreciated - I've been using unix for 20 years (wow, now that I say it it seems like a long time...) but off and on and have plenty of gaps in my knowledge. My main goal is to set up a ruby development environment, perhaps making it a "production" environment at some point.
1. Contact your provider to enable the iptables modules
2. Ask your provider. If they are using some control panel for vps, you can do it from there
3. If it is unmanaged, then you have to install everything
4. -/+ buffers/cache: 199444 849132 ( you are using 199MB only )
Thanks for the reply. From what you're telling me it sounds like the provider could have been a little more proactive in setting up the system or at least providing some basic instructions with some tips about what I could do vs what they had to do. Since the stuff I want to do is very straightforward I think I'll try to find a host with customer forums and better docs rather than try to ask them to ask them why this thing or that isn't set up. For example I don't even know if I have a control panel.